Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead V8 water pump on a Four Banger!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brendog67rat, Apr 17, 2013.

1. I Just got a 29 Roadster with a four banger.it has a 34 to 36 V8 water pump on it and the pump failed, also it has a Clings serpentine belt and fan on it. any other guys out there have the same set up, have you had any trouble?...Brendan

2. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

do you have an original pump or one that has been converted to sealed bearing?
    also, is your radiator modified to run a pressurized cap? it is common for the early pumps to blow out the packing seal, especially when used with a pressurized system. also, it may just be an old pump. a lot of people run the early 21-stud pumps on bangers without fail though.

3. the pump is a 21 stud 34, to 36 flathead

4. hope this helps!

Attached Files:

5. Wow, that looks like a Cyclone pump adapter! If you get sick of dealing with the V8 pump, I'll gladly take it and the adapter off your hands...would even buy you a new Model A water pump of your choice as part of the deal - send me a PM if interested!

Dig the Fumaze too!

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I dont know what brain (fade) storm this idea generated from but running a V8 pump is no more efficient than just using the stock Model A pump. The V8 pumps are not thrust bearing pumps designed to be used with fans so they have a tendency to leak because of fan load. Looks cool but better off with stock pump and fan.

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

What made you think it failed? Model A don't have a radiator resevour, you should top it off once or twice a week

8. when I have grease and water splashed all over the fenders, and you can move the fan about 1/8 inch side to side

9. What Dick said.

Plus " sometimes " belt is tightened TOO tight for pump's bearing in order to get alternator to charge without belt slip, excessively loading the pump bearing.

You might contact Skip's Pumps, and see if he can rebuild yours with a sealed bearing that can take the thrust .

10. My offer stands :)

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

SCALDED DOG SPEED PARTS only $45.95 :D

12. I know...looking for an original :)

13. I don't think it is original.

14. Carter

Carter

I don't think the cyclones were reproduced.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

15. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Get an Model A pump & water neck

16. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I've run those pumps for years, with great success! They have a carbon seal, so are far superior to the A pump. I currently have them on my tudor and widebed, both with Clings serpentine pulley and 12" plastic fans. In 50 years I have only had one fail. They are rebuildable, kits are stocked by most V8 stores.

17. is the Cling pulley a press fit?

18. chopo

chopo

hey what distributor are you running?

19. FS ignition, hear is a link... Brendan www.fsignition.com