Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Winchester Speedway, late thirties. And two of the earlier pictures looked a lot like Jungle Park to me, but I could be wrong.

2. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Those two.

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Rockville Ind.- I don't believe the first several pics are Jungle Park, the wall in front of the grandstands was much different at Jungle Park than what is shown in those shots.

4. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

They most certainly aren't. The Jungle Park grandstands were most unique, and instantly recognizable.

5. AeroTRrat

AeroTRrat

Monday, April 15th is Mel Kenyons 80th Birthday. He still builds Offys for vintage racers and builds his own Midget chassis' in his Lebanon Indiana shop with his brother Don. I remember watching Mel drive on dirt, clay and pavement and he had this smooth agressive style that I never saw in any other driver. He really "felt" the track.

It's great that we still have him around to mentor other drivers.

Happy Birthday Mel!

Attached Files:

6. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I thought so too until I looked at the double tiered outer guardrail. Winchester had a guardrail just like that while Jungle Park never had any guardrail that I was aware of. What do you think, Michael? :)

7. jimg12

jimg12

I am sure Jungle Park did not have a guardrail.

8. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Yes, that fence had me worried, because I couldn't recall any Jungle Park pics that had them, but I couldn't be bothered to go hunting for pictures to compare... hence, my disclaimer! :D

If Mr. Graybeal says there never was a fence, I'm happy to be proved wrong.

9. Although I do not recognize any of the cars could those early day 'big car' photos from Montpelier be the old 'Kerosine Circuit' or the Midwest Dirt Track Racing Association? Also I agree that Jungle Park did not have a guard rail and those photos in question I am almost sure are from Winchester back in the day when I went there.

10. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

First of all let me say “AWESOME” photos!!!! From everyone.:) Well been busy lately but still dropping in & trying to keep up. I got some more finished on the Badger. So I thought I would post a couple photos for you guys.

Attached Files:

11. hdpartman

hdpartman

Nice Restore, but where was the gold wheels....
    Any idea who owns the car now. I was shoved in the nose of the car when
    I was 5 to clean up the inner belly pan.

12. hdpartman

hdpartman

There where 2 number 10 cars, both belonging to Angelo and Pete Vitucci. There was the offy that was purchased in 1953/54, This car was purchased originally from Kurtis as the "peoples car of freeport", they never got it together. Angelo purchased the car from that group. The other car 10 was the Ford unit owned by the same prior to it being sold. I have the photos somewhere of both cars on the side of the wrecking yard by the body shop getting ready to go to a race. There were also a #10 Modified that existed until the death of Angelo.

As far as the track goes there were only a few ovals large enough to allow a car and trailer to fit and still be safe. There was an oval like that in West Hampton beach and also Old Bridge, my guess would be Old Bridge.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  13. hdpartman

hdpartman

This Trailer did wind up in the Vittucci Wrecking yard for many years.

14. hdpartman

hdpartman

Easy Guys, that is my mother.... Yes Really, The Mechanic name was John Fish, commonly just called "Fish". He was a good assistant, but the real wrench's name was Len ? , a very slim shorter guy with a very thin mustache....

15. hdpartman

hdpartman

Nice Job Ken, Ciski falcon was a wonder to watch, it screamed at another level and at a track like Old Bridge is where it did the best. Put it at Islip, there was never the room to wake it up no matter the gearing.

16. hdpartman

hdpartman

18. moe#69

moe#69
    from Joliet IL

Thanks, Black Vette. This car is getting close to completion. This car is going to be race ready. Has taken three years. Really trying to leave all original, to when it last ran. Except to where for safety or just needed new components, The old just couldn’t be salvaged.( got all in boxes) I am amazed of the craftsmanship of you & so many others on this sight. I bow to you…… Thanks to everyone. You guys are so kind & overflowing with knowledge.
    Thanks again.:D

Attached Files:

19. jimg12

jimg12

I do not think any of the cars from Montpelier photos are from the Kerosine circut [a name that Bobby Grim and Cliff Griffith gave it] or the old Midwest club. If you want to see pictures of those cars look in Buzz Rose's book Rim Ridders, a lot of the cars that ran CSRA allso ran the Midwest club.

20. Thanks for your information. I do not recognize any of the cars in the Montpelier photos, where do you think they originated? what organization? or are they early day true 'outlaws' running independently?

21. jimg12

jimg12

I do not know where or what organization but they seem to be several years apart. In some of the pictures the cars are blunt nose and flat tail. In other pictures they are round nose and tails with headrests on them.

22. sideways27

sideways27

For you all you Kurtis Kraft fans we have put together a new vintage tee shirt that may be of interest to you. We have reproduced a copy of the old Midget Tee Shirt that is as good as or better than the original. I know that you will enjoy wearing this shirt as I am proud to wear it myself. Please go to Ebay and type in Kurtis Kraft Tee Shirt and you will find this item. Also read notes as you need to send me info regarding size and color. I know you will like this shirt as I am a collector myself and wanted to bring back the past.

23. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Well Sunday I took the the race car off the trailer and back into the garage to get it ready for a test and tune session next Sunday. That's the first three pictures. Notice the lawn mower but the lawn seems a bit white yet.

Did some machining on the new water pump drive Monday and was ready to have at it this morning. That's the last two pictures.

Sure hope they have the pits plowed.

Attached Files:

24. .........and I thought we had bad weather...!!! cool car :) (ha ha !)

25. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

File0007.jpg

ant midget 1.JPG

ant midget 6.JPG

ant midget 10.JPG

This was a 40's midget I restored a few years ago. Ran it one time with a cracked block, just to prove to some smart asses that it was just not a show car. Problems with the local club so I sold it.

26. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

That is some late snow! Hope the water pump works out this season!

27. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

[QUOTE This was a 40's midget I restored a few years ago. Ran it one time with a cracked block, just to prove to some smart asses that it was just not a show car. Problems with the local club so I sold it.[/QUOTE]

That was understandable.

Any knowledge of who built the body? Presuming it is aluminum and possibly a well known, maybe Silnes?

The shocks mounted within the nose with the arms coming through the nose is wonderful.

[​IMG]

28. tractorguy

tractorguy

I just recently sold an old Kurtis midget chassis "project" to guy who is now asking me for help in finding someone to work on the chassis. The chassis was pretty well "modified" and "updated" with some unusual stuff. The new owner wants to take the chassis back to original condition and use it, without body to display his new 110 Offy ......in his house !!
    Can anyone recommend a good, reputable Kurtis midget chassis restorer that has done work for people that would be positive references ?? Prefer midwest, but would be interested in all recommendations. Thanks

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

These are all of my old friend "Rosie" Roussel, quite a guy!!!!

Attached Files:

30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

More.

Attached Files: