Register now to get rid of these ads!

1942 ford tudor(super deluxe) installing a t-5

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kenstructer, Apr 21, 2013.

1. kenstructer

kenstructer

:confused:Bought a t-5 setup for a flathead at a swap meet.That said i'am not sure what I have.It's a 26 spline trans with a bendtsen's 5/8 inch thick plate adapter, next is an offenhauser flathead adapter, that mates to my 53 Merc engine . This setup uses the stock pedal placement. The engine I think was a truck so it has an 11 inch clutch. All together with new throw out bearing it works but there are some noises, which include a whirring sound when you depress the clutch. When I put this kit together it seemed like the main shaft wasn't long enough to go all the way into the pilot bearing.Does the bendtsens plate adapter adapt ford to Chevy? Is the 26spline camaro the possible reason ? Longer input shaft? Different bolt pattern?Will the offenhauser adapter ford to Chevy work without the plate adapter an be a little shorter so the input shaft fits into the pilot bearing? Sorry for the long thread and thanks for any help!:confused:

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. kenstructer

kenstructer

On top just behind the main body of the trans case or just at the start of the tail shaft case.

4. kenstructer

kenstructer

The trans I is installed I'll try to get the numbers off the case

5. kenstructer

kenstructer

OK the offenhauser adapter is a #5272 which means its for a Chevy trans. The number on the case is13-52-085-921

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the part number for the case itself. There should be a metal tag bolted under one of the tail-housing bolts. There was a sticker on the top of the top cover too, when it left the factory, but that may be long gone.

7. kenstructer

kenstructer

Can't see the top of the trans because its installed and there are no tags left!

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you get a sleeve to go over the throwout bearing collar, allowing the use of the original style bearing? Was there a pilot bearing? Did it fit snugly around the pilot? Was there a sleeve to go over the pilot?

10. kenstructer

kenstructer

Front ,right where the tail section starts

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, at-least the tail is from a S10. 26-spline would seem to indicate Camaro. So long as the oiling funnel went with the tail housing, the parts interchange, except for the speedometer gear issue.

12. kenstructer

kenstructer

Good questions. I'll say yes but to double check I guess the motor comes out __ _

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is the little things that drive a man crazy.

14. kenstructer

kenstructer

It would appear its electronic speedo .what's the solution to have a speedo in this car?

15. InPrimer

InPrimer

Im converting a T5 to a 8BA motor in my F 1 PU. I can only add that the S10 input(T5)shaft for an S10 is a 14 spline and is too long for the trans adapter. The S10 trans top loader is about 12 inches behind the center of the shifter. I had to cut the input shaft about 3/4 in so the trans would fully bolt on, as far as the input shaft would also be able to seat on the pilot bearing there are several throwout bearing sleeves(to keep the T/B centered} I installed a3.5 in which in my case was too long by about 1in so I replaced it with a I believe 3in. the S10 tailshaft(in my case) has a computer plug so to get around it without going nuts Im using a Tom Tom which gives accurate speed without having to replace the tailshaft with earlier speedo cable Im not sure if this would help but at least you have an Idea IP

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Electronic gauge. If it has the correct guts in the transmission.