Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects helped a guy find his stolen 55 today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidh73750, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know you are glad to have your car back.

I don't know how the laws work where you are but he didn't "let you have your car back"

He had no choice, he didn't own it, you did.

He could not have kept it even if he wanted to.

You really don't have to thank him at all.

And yes, it's true he was a victim of buying essentially stolen property.

2. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Wow! What a good ending to this story. This is just what we all needed after a shitty week with everything that has happened. It gives me a little hope for the human race still
    Jay

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Great ending to the story. Only thing better would be if the scumbag landlord gets prosecuted for selling a car without a title. I hope the police don't let him off with just returning the guy's money. He should return it plus extra for his inconvience. He should also compensate Kenny for lying to him, and causing so much mental stress.

4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

You're damn lucky if you get the car back.

90% of the time the new owner will keep it because it was purchased legitimately.
    And you then have a civil dispute with the landlord.

If you reported it stolen prior to the purchaser buying it you'll be OK

I personally would give the current owner a refund of the $1500 [ to remove his claim of ownership ] then sue the landlord.
    This is way cheaper than risking loosing a 55 chevy

The landlord who facing potential theft charges will probably cough up

5. classic L.B.

classic L.B.

yea, no confirmation on if he actually got it back, ,still good damn news, good lookin out dude...now if some one spots the the 32,2 dr sedan, out of texas(burgandy,black fenders, chrome dash car) Please call with any information..Danny at 214 460 1507 in dallas..........thanks fellow HAMBERs

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  6. oldwagonlover

oldwagonlover

I am happy to hear a good ending to a unfortunate incident. I was recently ripped off and it did not turn out as well. I have NO respect for thieves or those who knowingly buy stolen goods. There are a lot of good guys on this site! I am happy that your story ended on a good note.
    I was not as fortunate as you.

7. Butch M

Butch M

Glad you got it back

8. You would think a Police officer's spouse would know better than to buy a desirable car on a bill of sale

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Termite infestation...

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Not the way it works here in the US. Every vehicle is titled and that title is registered with the State that it was last sold in. If you buy a vehicle from someone who doesn't have a title in their name for the vehicle, you are taking the risk that the seller doesn't own the vehicle and you are buying stolen property. The person whose name is on the title owns the vehicle and you are in possession of property you do not own. The bill of sale might keep you from going to prison for possession of stolen property but it doesn't give you any right to the vehicle. You lose the vehicle and you have to sue the person you bought it from to get your money back.

Three years ago a friend of mine bought an off topic vehicle for $11,000 dollars from a man who had a title. When he had the brakes replaced the shop ordered parts by VIN number and got the wrong parts. The VIN was for a 2 wheel drive and this was a 4-wheel drive. The shop checked the vehicle on Carfax and found the Vin was from a vehicle that had been scrapped. Theysuspected a stolen vehicle and contacted the police. A VIN stamped into the frame confirmed it to be a stolen vehicle and it was impounded. He was out $11,000 and had to wait over a year until the guy he bought it from went to court. He was lucky the guy had enough money to pay him back and the State prosecuted because he had used a title and VIN from another vehicle.

11. If only life worked like that. If the wrong person were to have bought that body the vin would've been changed and the car never heard from again. He damn well should thank the buyer. A happy ending for sure but just another example of why not to buy a car with no title.

12. KennyLowe

KennyLowe

The car is home safe and sound setting in the garage. .The guy that had it was as helpful as he could be, I really don't think he knew it was stolen. He helped to load it on my trailer.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle :D

The car was still intact and as long as it had the vin, he was the legal owner, not the guy who bought it without a title.

Life does work like that for honest people. The rest who would steal something not earn it or buy it... not caring if it was stolen or maybe even change the vin themselves...

Well a .45 caliber slug through the head would solve their lack of morals.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  14. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Always have to throw in some NEGATIVE comment don't you :(

15. biscaynes

biscaynes

wow! ease up :confused:

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not negative at all. Awesome that he got the car back. Just pointing out the reality of the ownership. Thank God for honest people.

Things are only as negative as you want to make them in your own mind. :D

:rolleyes: :D