Register now to get rid of these ads!

727 Torqueflite Tailshaft swap? Mopar folks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thunderbirdesq, Jun 15, 2009.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I've got a '67 318/727 combo in my pickup. It's originally from an A100 van so it has a bolt on yoke with a slide in the driveshaft. It's not the ball and trunnion type and it doesn't have the e-brake stuff either. When I put the truck together, 46mopar gave me a 50's(?) mopar pickup driveshaft that I shortened to fit. The slide wasn't very tight then and after 20k miles or so it's only become sloppier. I believe it's starting to give me a slight, but annoying nonetheless, driveline vibration. Will this trans accept a slip in yoke/solid driveshaft or am I looking at a tailshaft swap to do this? I have a buddy who swears it will slip right in, but I'm thinking the tailshafts are machined differently I did a little searching, but most threads on the subject are about swapping the earlier Ball/Trunnion setup to slip in. Anyone know?

2. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

May have to change the outputshaft,The end of the housing for the flange style has a bearing in it if im not mistaken.So either the bearing area on the ouputshaft is machined down with little to no splines for a slip yoke.
    The tailshaft bearing for the slip yoke is closer to the mount area also,if you get the ouputshaft and extention housing from a later trans it will fit right in your earlier trans,torqeflights are real easy to rebuild.Get a manuel and give it a go.
    Good luck,Gary

3. No. Slip on yokes will not fit in place of a bolt on yoke. You need to swap tailshaft and tailhousings to accomplish that.

Am I to understand that you currently have a driveshaft with u-joints on both ends and a slider near the tranny? If so its likely not a 50s mopar shaft as that would be a ball and trunion.

The two decent options are: Get another slider driveshaft from a 70s FWD dodge truck (or something else similar) and make that work. Or swap to a standard driveshaft with the shaft and housing swap. The shaft swap requires pretty much taking the whole thing apart, and might not be for you if you have automaticophobia, but is the best option. Something bruce lancaster said in a recent post about custom reliabily parts and having to try to fix something with a chinese hacksaw and allthread in a home depot parking lot.... Really no reason to use custom hard to get parts when the standard stuff works better.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. I'll either find a shaft with the slide in better shape and shorten it to fit or make a new one. The trans works great otherwise and although I have no qualms about pulling it apart, I think it's more work than making the driveshaft with the slide in it. A friend was swearing up and down that all I'd have to do was drop a slip yoke in with a solid shaft and be done. I was almost positive there would be some tailshaft trickery to make it work. Thanks!

5. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Here's a stock ball&trunion shaft and a custommade beafier one next to it on the left.
    Sometimes driveline-shops replace a worn ball&trunion-setup for a regular splined sliding coupling. Perhaps your current driveshaft is of such a design already.

[​IMG]

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

The one I have now looks very similar to the beefier one on the left. Definitely not the B&T style. I'll just go ahead and make another one with a new slide. The current shaft's tubing is 3.5" or something too, could be a lot smaller. Thanks.

7. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

I have a related question of sorts. I have the trunnion style mount as pictured on the left, which got mashed during a driveshaft drop on the highway. I need to replace it somehow, and am wondering if there's a replacement through Spicer or a way to adapt it to an open style U-joint with another flange, either stock or via Moog or the like. I want to keep everything the same length, as my new driveshaft was based off the measurements of the old one. Thanks!

8. You have to change to the later tailshaft as I recall. it is probably not going the keep your driveshaft the same lenghth. Or you can buy a new trunion from places like autozone or NAPA you don't have to go to a specialty house and pay specialty house prices.

9. Munster Motors

Munster Motors

yup mine in my 56 with trans brake has a newer shaft with slip yoke style instead of b/t ..of course all that has changed now that i went with a 904 in it