Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc sealing head bolts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Apr 20, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

putting new heads on my sbc. the new bolts just say to dip them in oil up to the hex head. nothing about sealing them. do i need to seal them? there wasn't any sealer on the old bolts. but a friend is saying seal them. just wondering why vthe directions don't call for it.

2. who's directions are they? i'd give them a call

it would seam to me that you should out some sealer on the threads

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. what SBC is that? all 17 on both sides go into water

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

I have used copper coat with good results over the years.

1Nimrod likes this.

5. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    SBC head bolt holes don't penetrate into any water jackets, so why seal them? No need to that I'm aware of.

Evidently never built a SBC. ALL the head bolts must be sealed or you will have coolant leaks everywhere. :eek:

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Stock block SBC's do have open end head bolt holes into the water jackets and need a sealer on the threads and a little oil under the head.

Aftermarket blocks are blind holed.....

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I deleted my original post so as to not perpetuate incorrect info. What the heck was I thinking? It's been a 30+ years since I built an SBC, nothing in the shop but "oddball" engines since then.

8. On the GM performance parts site......
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>
    [​IMG]
    </td> <td align="center" valign="bottom">
    </td><td valign="bottom">
    </td> <td>
    </td> </tr> <tr><td>
    [FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]12346004 - GM Pipe Sealant (50cc)[/SIZE][/FONT]​
    </td><td align="center" valign="bottom">
    </td><td>
    </td><td align="center" valign="bottom">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

<table width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">[FONT=arial,]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/FONT] </td> </tr> <tr><td> [FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1] For all cylinder head bolt threads. [/SIZE][/FONT] </td></tr><tr><td colspan="5">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

9. skidro69

skidro69
    from Dothan, AL

Oil under the head of the bolt prevents binding while torquing the head bolts. A slight amount of sealer is needed on the threads to seal them.
    Also, you need sealer on the intake bolt threads. The 4 corners are the only intake bolts that have a bottom in them. This is a common mistake, it causes oil to leak from the 4 center bolts on old style SBC!

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. I use non hardening permatex on headbolts and intake bolts,never silicon cuz if you use silicon what do ya suppose happens to the seal when ya retorque the bolt...whammo...no more seal....jmho...

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. after buiding a water burning engine i went to permatex, end of problems never had any other problems

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Permatex thread sealer on each one. Just did it last night in fact!

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

NOW you tell me! Never thought about that so Ive' been lucky so far.

14. You never axed...

15. Larry T

Larry T

I just oil the bolts and drop Delco cooling tabs in the radiator on first fire up.

16. Wutter those? Tablets sold by Delco REmy to seal up yer coolin system? Do they ever plug up the works?

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. jan bogert

jan bogert

ok guys, i'm going to pull the one head i installed, it's only torked to 60lbs, i can go to 65/70 when i reinstall it. time to put permanix thread sealer on them.

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. I've heard of that before, forget what the GM part number is though, any parts counter should know it cold. I use a similar Solder Seal product on all fresh engines.

I've always used either Permatex Aviation Sealer or Indian Head on all head and intake manifold bolts, have never had a water leak of any sort.

Bob

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I hope I'm not in trouble using plumber's pipe thread dope on my SBC head bolts.

20. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto , the permatex !!!

4TTRUK

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

that'll work fine too

22. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

X2 on the gm pipe sealant w/ Teflon. And the seal tabs we used to use on the aluminum block caddy motors in the late 80s early 90s to seal up coolant system....... But it usually turned the coolant to mud and plugged up heater cores.

23. I wondered 'bout that....

24. Larry T

Larry T

I don't think they would put the sealer in at the factory if it plugged heater cores and caused problems.

25. dabixman

dabixman

Wheel bearing grease on the treads and torque to 65ft short bolts and 70ft long bolts. Done.

26. no55mad

no55mad

ACE Hardware carries some good non hardening pipe dope for boilers etc - worked good on SBC head bolts.

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

I spent twelve years in gm dealers...... They don't think it will cause problems until it does....... Dexcool is an example...... Seal tabs were two brown tablets that you would crumble up and put in the coolant system of aluminum block gm engine after a coolant flush. These were to stop any leaks in there shitty sealing head gaskets, head bolts into coolant passages ,steel sleeve to aluminum block, ect ect. Instead of sealing the head gaskets it would clog up heater cores and customers would complain of little heat output. Some times you could back flush the crap out but most times core would need replacing.

28. Larry T

Larry T

I've owned an independent shop for 35 years (started in 1978), worked in other shops before that. I've dropped a couple of Delco tabs (ginger root) out of the six pack in every overhaul I've done for about half that time. Still do it, because I've never had any trouble with them. The aluminum powder and the old Bars leak in a bottle are a different story.

Different strokes for different folks.

29. jan bogert

jan bogert

ok, so i used white permatex in a tube. i torked them to 65lbs. started motor, sounds great very healthy. but i noticed water out right exhaust pipe. no smoke, maybe one didn't seal. i had this problem with my flathead. any in-put welcome.