Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who made these RB Mopar roller tappets? Paging Chase Knight.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falcongeorge, Apr 20, 2013.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

These are some rollers I bought used and ran in one of my 440's a few years back. Trying to id the manufacturer here. These are good quality tappets, fully rebuildable, as the snap rings holding the axles in indicate. I think they are Crane, but not certain. Anybody certain? Is Chase in the house?
    I dont think they are Comp Cams, the rivets holding the link bars on look different, and I dont think they are Isky, I think the link bars on Isky Mopar tappets are open ended.

Attached Files:

2. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

try Crowers, they have a Crower look to me if I remember right

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Never even thought of Crower! Thanks, I'll check it out.

4. chase knight

chase knight

Looks like some of the Crane Classic series lifters from about 15-18 years ago. Do they have a .750" diameter wheel" Regards, Chase

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Chase, that was my original thought. Yes .75 wheel, I was running them in the nineties. So these are part number 66515 right? So cross referencing with the current catalog, these will work in an early hemi, correct? Can Crane still rebuild these? Do the current 66515 have a different sized wheel? I remember hearing something about this...

6. Ramblur

Ramblur

If Chase can't help you I have some from Cranes liquidation auction.
    Wheels are .750" x .425"
    axles are .316" x .682"
    If you can use them, there yours for the price of the ride.

7. chase knight

chase knight

Yes, those are the old 66515-16 with the 41L40 body, and the stainless guide bars. The .750" wheel is still current for the Classic lifters, which now have 8620 bodies. Unfortunately no longer rebuildable. They will fit Chrysler 331-354-392 Hemis, B and RB, and 426 Hemi blocks. The Pro and Ultra Pro series have .815" wheels, 8620 billet heat treated bodies, and heat treated steel guidebars. Regards, Chase

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thanks Chase. Most of them look and feel fine, but one feels fragged. If nothing else, I guess I can replace that pair with a current pair of 66515's. The springs I'll be running in this are around 200lbs on the seat, 435 over the nose, so as roller combos go, its not really stressed. I wont say how much spring i was running on those before, but it was on an old Cam Dynamics R286/500/08, so you KNOW it was well outside what Crane recommends for these tappets.:eek::D They held up real well. Fast idle and lots of oil splash helps...;)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just wanted to mention, Jeff (ramblr) is sending me enough axles, rollers and needle bearings to rebuild these lifters twice over. Hell of a nice gesture. Thanks a bunch Jeff.