Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sold my Willys Pickup Gasser back to the Original owner after 50 yrs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 37willysgasser, Apr 19, 2013.

1. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

After 15 yrs and endless long distance phone conversations, I have decided to sell my 1940 Willys pickup Gasser back to one of the original owners who built the truck in the early 1960s, Mr. Ray D Angelo (the "D" in STD Automotive) is the owner again after 50 yrs.
    Ray is going to put the truck all back together and race it out in California were he lives, with the Jack Merkel Olds and Vitar Hydro.
    I just want to thank him and give him my blessing on it!!
    Ray you deserve the truck back, you are a great friend!!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Saxxon

Saxxon

What an awesome set of events.
    Kudos to you for making it happen.

Now go build another one

3. I love that truck. I remember seeing it at Bandimere. I bet Ray is happier than he is letting on.

4. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great story! Hope Ray gets many years of fun out of his old truck!

5. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

He is so happy, he said he hasnt been able to sleep at night!! we have been talking just about every other day for at least an hour!! I had my fun with the truck and now its Rays turn to live out his dream! I thought it was the right thing to do.

kiwijeff and 38 2 DR Sedan like this.
  6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great story and it proves the theory that you can never give up on your quest.

Your going to miss it I am sure.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Excellent story!

8. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

yes i will miss the truck but am more happy that Ray is the owner now, he is going to sign up to the HAMB and post the story on the truck, very awsome to hear some of the names involved back in the 1960's

9. Awesome story.

10. Great story with a happy ending. You get a GOLD STAR and go to the head of the class

11. Good Karma is coming your way...pretty cool! You did the right thing!

12. rotten johnny

rotten johnny
    from Mi

Thumbs up for you from a home town fellow hamber/gasser
    Rite on spot BRO

13. rfraze

rfraze

Vince, Whenever old guys start to worry about the future of our beloved hobby, I love to tell them stories of younger guys like you. Carry on, Dudes. Rob Frazier

14. I talked to Ray at the Hot Rod Magazine Reunion. He was checking out our 56 Chevy. After talking a bit, he starts tellinge about this A/G Willys pickup he and two buddies built back in the early-mid 60's. The 475" Olds came out of the Dead End Kids Top Fuel dragster when the went to the 392 Chrysler. The took the engine to Jack Merkle to freshen it up and convert it to injectors on gas. They had Vitar build a hydro for it. He said we all spent out weekly wages on it and bought the best equipment there was at the time. Hr said we wanted to be contenders. About the time the little truck was ready for its maiden outing Ray and one of his other buddies got drafted for Vietnam. The were blessed to make it back home, only to find their ex-friend had sold the Willys and split town. He never knew what happened to it until this gentleman found him and offered the truck back, (at a very resonable price, again you ate a true gentleman sir). He asked me what he should do, I told him go get it man!, and live that time that was stole from you. Ray has callede at work to ask about using the old M/T rods and pistons. I'll call him Monday and see how e can help.

15. Awesome story! Looks like it hasn't changed much at all!

Sam

16. I was there in Denver 1994 to see you and others working on it at the motel and then race it at Bandimere. I was amazed a kid would be into old gassers. NOW I know you are one in a million.

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

You have done the right thing selling him the truck, well done, you will be blessed.

Can't wait to see his posting of the story.

18. prpmmp

prpmmp

AAA+++ to you 37willysgasser!!! Ray!! Have a blast and a half with your new car!! Pete

19. violet springs

violet springs

Wow, how cool is that!

20. rat nasty

rat nasty

man thats awesome!

21. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Thanks fellas for all the kind words, I just new if I ever sold the truck it would go back to Ray or Joe Tropiano who was Rays best friend that went in the service also, who recently passed on, Joe was another great friend I talked to alot over the years.
    Joe would be so happy right now!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
    kiwijeff likes this.
  22. little t

little t

great to hear you sold it back to ray hope something great come back at you

23. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

You did the right thing!! That is coool.....

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Good going Vince, Tim Jones

25. way to be....thats just good karma in the making......

26. forties forever

forties forever

hi guys this is RAY. jUST WANT TO THANK Vince for the chance to get my old willys back after 50 yrs . A fellow named Jack Olcott from ny. bought it from a gas station in ny on hillside ave. the olds engine was given to us by Red Lang who kept it for a while at hennys welding and customizing shop in jamaica Queens N.Y. Jack Merkel did all the engine work and Vinny built one of his hydros still in car. Talk soon.Thanks for all the support.Ray

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

28. 37willysgasser

37willysgasser

Great to see you on here Ray!!

29. cracker head

cracker head