Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mechanickeith

mechanickeith

Just ask some of the members that went on one of the hikes & forgot to get permits!!

2. I think the upside down car in picture 5 and 6 is a 34 Pontiac. What gave it away to me is the tail light base and the trunk.

Attached Files:

3. Sorry Keith. I have only read up to page 32. I must have missed this little bit of info. If I could get my camera working properly i would be able to post some photos of a yard here in jersey by Marlboro State Psychiatric Hospital.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. I lived in AZ for 8 years before returning to TX for work and had many
    years of desert relic hunting and loved every minute of it. I will return
    and hunt again!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Sorry the pics won't open, i took them with my cell phone that doesn't have a good camera
    But at least it has a camera!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

love the buford wagon...

6. Awhile back, I found this pic on the net, dated 1940. This is apparantely taken in Concho, Az loading on the St Johns high School bus.

[​IMG]

More recently, I have discovered that this bus still exists! How Cool!

[​IMG]

More discovery on the Arizona roads.

7. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I hope that someone will restore it.

8. [​IMG]

The bus is in good hands with the current owner as he appreciates and collects vontage tin.

In other news- while towing my '56 Pontiac sedan delivery up to my new place in Apache county ( where my new yard and museum/shop will be ), I was pulled off the road in Superior.

[​IMG]

I normally stop there as this is before some of the larger climbs and I'll take a little timing out of the motor and check hubs, tires, etc. While doing this, someone stopped to speak with me because they saw a 66 GTO towing a 56 Pontiac! Well, after that, another person stopped and it turned out to be a hamber! It was nice to meet member ca646 who lives in or near Morenci in eastern Az. He has added some great pics to this thread and I appreciate his contribution to it. Looking forward to meeting with him again sometime in his area.
    It's just more adventure on the Arizona roads!

9. Fugly Too

Fugly Too

HEY DODGER!!!! I was thinking......................

Just how bad DO you want that Airflow??????????????????:eek:

Attached Files:

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Cool photo! I'm wondering what's going on with that hill in the background. Looks like there was some kind of mining going on.

11. I regret to inform that this 50s Hudson I featured here last yere is gone! I drove by there yesterday and, after sitting there for decades....is no more. :(

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013

12. Sure, this pic was taken just outside of Morenci which is a mining town.

13. [​IMG]

One of the things I enjoy outside of the car hobby is snowboarding. It is so much fun and gives a good workout too.
    Arizona has 3 ski areas but, the largest is in the white mountains between Springerville and the Show Low area.

[​IMG]

Sunrise has 3 mountains and, sadly, is closing for the season this Saturday. So, I have been getting my fill the last few weeks until it closes.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

ey Applekrate, how's the deal going to restore the St. Johns sign?

15. ChefMike

ChefMike

old Iron is very cool to look at it never gets boring to see !

16. RayMiller

RayMiller

That's so sad, I used to know about 5 cool spots in Cochise county that were filled with abandoned cars and all but one have been cleared.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Good to meet you today Applekrate! I'll be sure to post pics of stuff I find!

18. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Forgot I had found this 69-72 blazer in the cinders right behind my house, it is now gone though.

Attached Files:

19. cac646

cac646

Nice to meet you applekrate! Hopefully we can meet up on a hike sometime.

Here's a couple cars that are in what looks to be the old townsite landfill. Does anyone know what the headlight is off?

Attached Files:

20. cac646- Looking forward to hanging out with you in your neck of the woods sometime soon.
    On another note---

Rattlesnakes are out again so be careful. I have had 3 snake encounters in less than 24 hours and am so spooked and jumpy.
    Last night, I heard one around 8:30 and found a diamondback rattler coming at me right under my canopy! I was shocked and unpreparred so, I picked up an exhaust manifold ( closest thing I had ) and threw it at the damm thing. I did hit it and hurt it, Then I picked up a st box and threw it and missed and it got away but, I know I hurt it.
    Then, just now right before dark I found a second dismondback rattler about 150' from where the first one was. This one was out in the open and it was not quite dark yet so, I ran and got my rifle and emtied the magazine into it. It is now dying, I laid a hood over it until morning.
    Then, 15 minutes later, found a 3rd snake! This one was smaller and did not appear to be deadly but, after reloading, I emtied my rifle into it too.

This is scary, spooky stuff. be careful out there. Gosh I wish it was still winter for more reason than one.

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Be careful where you go applekrate, I would be edgy with them around as well.

22. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I'm headed up to Greer for a few days next weekend. Going up through Globe and the Salt River Canyon. Any kind of swap meets or events or places I should check out? We'll be there 4/26-4/29.

23. Nick,
    There is the annual "Chrome in the Dome" show at the Round Valley high school in Springerville but, it is today and tomorrow. Last weekend there was a show in Globe. So, not aware of any car events at that time. What are your plans up here? It is still a bit cold for camping as it still gets below freezing at night. We actually had a snow storm on Wednesday up here all over. It was very pretty and the ground was not cold enough for any of it to stick. I was bummed because had made arrangements to work with a friend who loaned me his road grader to do some leveling on my new property up here where my new parts yard and museum will eventually be. So, we hung out and had a long lunch. Anyway, hope you enjoy yourself. Not sure if you know but, there is a wrecking yard in Springerville with a lot of 50s and 60s cars and some older. It is fairly easy to find.
    I'll be heading back to the valley today and then on to the San Diego area to attend Sundays antique drags at Barona.

24. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

Antique drags @ Barona?

25. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Jess' and I are renting a cabin and just hanging out, exploring, relaxing, and hopefully being out of cell phone range.

26. Lyman lake opens May 3rd and has over 50 rv type camp sites, plus you can beach camp. They also have 4 yurts ( cross between a tent and a cabin) plus 4 heated and cooled cabins. There are nice tiled private showers and bathrooms. neat place that almost no one knows about. it is never crowded. Every once in awhile you can hear a blown injected M/T HEMI Pontiac ripping across the waves. It's only a few minutes from my new place up here and I love it. The only thing that reminds you that you are in Arizona are the Arizona license plates. People up here grow their own apples, apricots even cherries! In Arizona? yup
    It's real nice up here

Anyway, enjoy yourself up here. I sure do.

27. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

FYI the small/ baby rattlers, can hurt you worse than the big ones....they give it all to you....FYI

28. yes, tomorrow

29. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

That plane in the foreground to the right is a Lockheed P-3 Orion, probably from my old Navy Squadron VP-48, they were used to hunt subs....memories. I've been through that museum boneyard in Tucson.

30. T Achilli

T Achilli
    from walworth

This thread was a great read. I feel foutunate to have seen the cool wrecks and great scenery. Yet I kinda wish I hadn't. Sorry to see stuff disappear or cut up. A good freind of mine lives in Sedona from Oct. thru May. And then Wisconsin during the summer. He always invites me to visit. I should take him up on it some day soon. The land scape is beautiful.