Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel Vintiques -a BAD supplier

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommorookian, Apr 20, 2013.

1. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Sounds like you have a matching spare wheel now....

2. bobscogin

bobscogin

My "crap" wheels were round, concentric, had negligible run out, and balanced with no problems. Where's the "crap" in that?

Bob

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

The Vintique wheels are not intended to be reproductions of the original. That would account for the poor fit of original caps. I used Vintique caps and they fit well.

Bob

4. I can see WV not replacing a wheel after 3-4 years.......but they should at least return his calls.

5. jazz1

jazz1

WV should want to talk to you,,it's a new 4 year old rim,,WTF does it cost them to replace one factory flawed rim? I bought dolphin gauges 2 years before I got my engine running,,,the oil sending unit turned out to be defective,,dolphins response was " a new one is $20.00 plus shipping" I got a defective die grinder from china...emailed them and they sent me a new one no charge,,,told me not to bother returning the defective unit..

6. What he said. Great machine. You know right away if your wheels and/or tires won't work.

7. Very good experience with Rally America, two times now. Same with Pete Paulsen.

I bought '48 Ford caps from WV and tried to mount them on their wheels, despite their assurance of a good fit. Their caps wouldn't go on their own wheels. Too tight. Called WV. The kid who answered the phone told me to hit the caps harder with a rubber mallet! "Really whack 'em hard" is what he advised! :rolleyes: Of course the cap dimpled. In the end, we had to reroll the inner hubcap bead to a more narrow profile.

Sheesh.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  8. $80 lesson learned... move on....

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1, That is a hell of a long time to expect anyone to warranty anything.

As far as a wheel being out of round, I probably changed two or three wheels a week on new Pontiacs in the 70's when I worked in a Pontiac dealership because they were out of round enough to cause a vibration so it does happen and is pretty common.

Plus if I were them I would expect you to send in the wheel for examination to make sure that it was defective and hadn't been curbed or otherwise damaged as in by someone who damaged it with the tire machine when he mouthed the tire. Then if it was defective send you a replacement wheel.

10. I have bought 2 full sets from WV. Both were special order. Both sets were built to the exact specs I provided. I have had no problems with communication with WV. I for one don't see how anyone with a 4 year old wheel could possibly expect a refund!!

11. regardless of how long it took to find the problem on the purchasers part, If it was my company I would take care of it. PERIOD. It's about integrity. Regardless of how long he waited to find out the problem, he still has a barely used part that is manufactured wrong and never should have been sold to him in the first place.

I also would never let a POS get out the door, but that's another argument.

Personally at my discretion I've been known to warranty parts AFTER the stated warranty period....Because that's good business. Having someone bitch about your shitty product and LACK of response on the internet is bad. Period.

The fact that anyone is willing to accept shitty products and shitty service boggles my mind. If you're happy with crap service and products. So be it. you believe that's standard. I don't.

Is it his fault he waited to long? Yes.

Does he have a hardly used part that he never should have been sold? Yes.

Is he bitching about it on the internet? Yes.

Could that cost them a sale? I'm sure it already did....It's now already cost them more than if they just fixed it.

12. Worth 80 bucks right there!

Winner.

13. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Good info, I love dealin with the Old school type businesses. Thanks for the name... I am gonna check him out

14. Black Primer

Black Primer

I too, have WV wheels on two vehicles, both sets are fine. Maybe I just got lucky, but I would not hesitate to use them again. Is it possible it was bent in shipping? I saw the UPS guy throw mine on the ground because it was heavy...asshole!

Yes, they should have gotten back to you.

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm with Hitchhiker on this. Why should the person who buys the wheels have to have them checked before mounting tires on them? The company that makes or sells the wheels should check each and every wheel before sending it out the door. They should have the equipment to check it. Any company that allows defective product out of their facility when it is well within their ability to check it needs to be run out of business. It should never be up to the buyer to find the defects.

A quality company would handle it even after 4 years. A quality company would have someone answering the phones even if they have to hire a service to do it. When they don't answer the phone or call back, you know they have problems. A good way to check out a company is to call them before buying anything. If they don't answer the phone, find someone else to do business with.

16. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Thats funny!:D

17. Absolutely!!!

18. I've always dealt with The Wheelsmith in Corona. Never had any troubles with them and their wheels are always top notch.

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Complain to Coker they own Wheel Vintiques.

20. Sorry, I gotta jump in and stick up for Wheel Vintiques. I am on my 3rd car with their steel wheels w/o an issue. Thursday they answered the phone in 10 minutes of hold time and answered my hubcap question.

Building hot rods will leave you with some extra parts from time to time.

21. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I bought some WV steel wheels, largely because they came powdercoated black. To get my stock rims powdercoated black would have cost not much less, so I figured what the heck.

The problem came up when I received the WV rims, the powdercoat scratched off as easily.....maybe more easily...than Krylon.

I called WV and the guy there was very indifferent...said he would 'pass along' my comment to their quality department. Which is code for 'as soon as I hang up I'll forget all about it.'

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh yeah...Wheel Vintiques! Good thing they're in L.A. and I'm way up here North of Fresno.
    The LAST time I dealt with those ass hats I was ready to go down there and get physical. Lie after lie, they had my money and I had no Merc wheels.

Wheelkid and his Dad have a great history with me, but I had lost contact after Gary (Dad) sold the original biz with the name.

Pete Paulson is also superb to deal with. (Ever hear of "PETE THE WHEEL" in Hayward, CA?)
    That would be Pete Paulson. The guy with the REAL OEM Merc centers. (he also has the Merc caps that fit the 10-1/8" Chevy and Ford centers...)

23. fortynut

fortynut

Chevy Only in Sunland used to have a sign on their counter, that I can't repeat verbatim, but it said that a satisfied customer tells his family and friends and you get a few new customers; a dissatisfied customer tells everybody and you lose him as a customer and everyone he tells, including his family and friends. I think that's pretty much the story here. If the odds are you're going to get screwed by a company, you can pretty much bet you're going to get screwed. Smart money is to find another place to spend your money.

24. Cruiser

Cruiser

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

As were on the subject
    I was forced to call Stockton Wheel recently for off topic wheels at work.
    On this deal (for the first time ever)
    They were on the ball and hooked me up with a hard to find set of wheels …. New owner? … obviously frank is dead ……. OK now in my book.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

They were on the ball and hooked me up with a hard to find set of wheels …. New owner? … obviously frank is dead ……. OK now in my book.

27. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Dufus (doo-fuss) - One who chimes-in even though having nothing intelligent to add. :rolleyes:

A good question for Corky....

Exactly. If you're going to do business within a community like rodders you should KNOW customer service is paramount. But the more you know Corky Coker, the more you realize - he don't know that.

Good luck. He's busy collecting mustache waxes and ripping people off on barn finds: check it some commentary here.

28. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

I bought a set of wv smoothies for my '52 suburban. Couldn't get one of the tires to hold air after i mounted them. Turned out that the seam weld in the middle of the rim wasn't finished. Very poor quality and potentially dangerious.won't buy any more of their crap.

29. A Rodder

A Rodder

Bought a few sets from them.
    Dealt with Hector on the phone, who used to work at Coker.

Refered a buddy to them and he orderd stock 1954 chevy wheels and the came ford bolt pattern. He wasn't too happy but they did make it right after a week or so.

30. classic gary

classic gary

Well, let's see how this works. I ordered a pair of smoothie 15X5 with a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern.
    Ordered 'em (and I should say PAID for them), May 1. It's may 9 now, no tracking number, and they ain't here yet. This is "real time", not memory recall, or a "friend said". I'll let you know.
    add: it's the 12th and still nothing. hmm.............
    add: it's the 14th and still nothing. double hmm.........
    welp, it's the 18th and nothing. This is my first dealing with W.V. and they screwed it up.
    yesterday, i got an email thanking me for my business, that was May 20th, WTF?
    wheels showed up yesterday May 21. 3 weeks to fill the order?
    now i gotta call the CCcompany and tell'em the parts arrived.
    So I told my C.C. company to not pay them...........
    See ya............

Last edited: May 22, 2013