Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harry Luzader and his coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caprezmikeb, Sep 16, 2010.

1. caprezmikeb

caprezmikeb
    from pa

hi everybody i have worked for harry for about 2 years now and ive heard that he and his coupe was something to watch so now i want to hear it form people other than the local so why not try the hamb im looking for story about him and/or his coupe and pics or any thing that comes to mind thanks

2. I think we had a thread about that iconic coupe, lemme look

3. Man, typed luzader in the search and got 29 threads with mention of this car. Try it :)

4. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

5. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

One of the greats Mr. Luzader!

Saw him run the 32 at Dallas International in 1972

Was running "D" altered with a four speed.

Car was clean and run too.

Thank you Mr. Luzader!

1940 Willys Coupe

6. brandon

brandon

is it true that the car is in your area (or his area) and not for sale....?

7. I am a member of another internet site dedicated to western PA racing and I believe I remember hearing/seeing that the car is still in the Pittsburgh area. I may be wrong, but I believe Mr. Luzader has tried to purchase the 32 numerous times, but the current owner will not budge. If I was the current owner, I'm sure I wouldn't want to give it up, but I'd almost feel like I'd have to.

8. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I just posted on another thread about Harry's '32. Saw it run at the Nationals in about 1961-2. It was one of the most immaculately prepared cars I had seen up to that time and ran even better.

Frank

9. caprezmikeb

caprezmikeb
    from pa

yes from what i know the owner of hilltop auto repair which is the guy that had purchased it from harry, still has it not sure of its condition tho

10. I bought all of my auto parts from Luzaders. That was the most knowledgable store around and I was always looking for some oddball stuff.

Great car! Great guy!

BloodyKnuckles

11. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Harry at IRP. Loved to watch that coupe run.

[​IMG]

12. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I was out at my parents house last weekend and found these two in a stack of my dad's old pictures from NY National.

I realize this is an old thread but I figured some of you guys would appreciate these pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 48stude

48stude

Great pics, I remember looking at his push truck ( in the first pic )I remember it having a big block in it. Something you didn't see every day back then. Beautiful car. Bill

14. caprezmikeb

caprezmikeb
    from pa

His push truck was a 69 with a 454. A couple in fl bought the truck and had it restored at a gm dealership about two years go.

15. Andamo

Andamo

I'm not sure what year it was, possibly 1960 or 61 and we were on the PA Turnpike heading out to Quaker City Dragway near Salem, OH. As we got out there we came up on Harry driving his '32 out the turnpike. The '32 started life as a street car, as did most cars in that era. He was going maybe 50 mph because of the rear end gearing I'm sure. Sure enough the car was racing at Quaker City later that day. I bought a set of wheels off Harry in this same time era and the garage he and his brother Gene had behind his parents motel was the Taj Mahal of garages back then.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I grew up in the Pittsburgh area and watched Harry make many passes down the 1/4 mile at PID during the 60's. When he came to the line no one stayed sitting we were all on our feet because we knew the little coupe would be pulling the wheels in most, if not all, of the 4 gears. Not only was it competitive, but it was well done and beautiful.

In the mid 70's I heard the car was for sale and called Harry at his motel in Monroeville and spoke with him. He was building his Opel drag car and wanted to sell the coupe, minus engine and trans, for $ 6,000. For a guy like me with a couple of kids and a mortgage it might as well have been $6 million, so I had to pass. Looking back, that was the deal of the century, considering the history and quality of the car. I have been kicking myself ever since for being so poor.:(

That little coupe sure did haul with it's little 292 Chevy and Hilborn injection setup. One of the greatest 32's of all time for sure. Glad to hear Harry is still ok.

Don

17. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Thanks for the awesome pics Flat-Foot!

18. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Sure thing!

19. Andamo

Andamo

Just as a follow-up on seeing Harry driving the coupe on the turnpike. At that time he was using the Man-A-Fre on the car. It was the first, and only one I had ever seen.