Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 54 Olds is here....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearhead78, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

nice find, the early Oldsmobile V-8's are great and a 2 door hard top made your wait well worth it. how long have you been trying to fins a solid one?

2. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

Since I was a kid looking at my dads Street Rodder mags I always loved the looks of the late 40's - mid 50's Olds and 39/40 Fords. I had the 40' Std in my avatar a few years ago and sold it to build an off topic 66 Cutlass that gained some national attention and a little print. I sold it to build my shop and had twins in the mean time a few years ago. My car stuff has been on the back burner for a few years but about a year ago I started watching for my next project. I narrowed it down to a 54' Olds because liked the 55/56 roof line and the catfish frowny face look of the early cars. The 54 has both.
    I watched all the classified , ebay ect but most that came up where junk or way out of my price range. On a weekly national check of C/L this one popped up with no pictures in CA. I started to not even bother but I went ahead and contacted him for pics and the rest is history. :)

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

great story, thanks. looks like the big back seat will be good to take the twins for a ride,

4. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

A true "Patina Queen."

5. I would like to see it.

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

build threads are always fun to read as long as there are lots of pictures!

7. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great lookin project!

8. 68vette

68vette

When I was about 14 years old, my neighbor bought a 54 olds, metallic green, been shaved, pillows in the rear window, loud pipes etc. That was my first ride in a cool car other than my grandfathers 39 std coupe that had a hot motor for running bourbon from Ky to NC, but I was about 5-6 then.

I have always been very fond of that car...it is the one I guess that got me started and that was back in the late 50's.

You have a very nice car and are very lucky to find such a great old olds....good luck with it.

9. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

Well here goes. I have it narrowed down to 3 of these that I am listing. I still have to pick one so the final rendering can be completed. Hiring Ben Hermance to put my ideas to paper is some of the best money I have ever spent. There are several ideas that sounded good in my head but once seeing them are now scrapped. Love it or hate it this is what I am building. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DRH

DRH

I like the all black with red quarters. But then again, im biased :)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

11. I like #4A!
    But have you tried black instead of the white on it?

12. You have very good taste man. 88's are sexy. :D

13. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

In reality its probably my favorite also but I just don't want to deal with the upkeep of that much black. If it was a show car trailer queen I would but I plan on driving the crap out of it on the autocross, drag strip and cross country on Power Tour.

I did but didn't like it.

Thanks man!

14. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

i'm kinda liking concept 5 and 2

15. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

I've got it down to my for sure final 3. After staring and staring the gold and the blue look better with the front color roof but the silver looks better with the rear color roof. It was pretty easy getting to this point but the next step is going to be tough. They all look so damn good.

Final 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Very cool. The 324 produces great power. Mine always had a lifter ticking. I wish I could have fixed that, but would definitley run an Oldsmobile Rocket!

Modern brakes would be a good investment. the stock motor easily overdrives the stock brakes.

17. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Concept 3B1. But hey I like them all!

18. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

I made my decision over the weekend. I will post it up once the final rendering is done.

19. Looking forward to the reveal!

20. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

love it or hate it here it is

[​IMG]

21. Anderson

Anderson

Hadn't seen the renderings until now but scrolling through, I was going to say how much I loved the gold one. Good choice!!!

22. You picked the best one for sure, that thing is going to be awesome!

23. 55olds88

55olds88

yeah I was liking that one, subtle and very different, mines black over yellow and fortunately old paint otherwise I would have to be keeping it clean and polished @@!!!

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Good choice on the color and look.

25. Same here, ya gotta go with the gold

26. DRH

DRH

I love the colors. Are you running factory steels or going with something bigger? Remember the factory steels reverse easily and look killer. The only complaint I would have is the shaving of the hood plane. I love that feature! When are you going to get it running?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. Great looking project - I really love the gold one - it's subtle but gets your attention. Good luck on the build!

28. Johnnyolds98

Johnnyolds98

You picked the right design! My favourite!
    Will do my '56 Ninety Eight in the same color scheme (only the white is upfront)...

Very interested in the further proceeding! - Subscribed!

29. gearhead78

gearhead78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Dallas TX

Thanks guys I am really excited to build this car

The wheels will be custom made in a larger size. Still have not touched it but betting closer. I finished getting my 68 442 ready to sell last Saturday put it on CL and it was sold with in 12 hours.:eek: Very happy about that. I Have a 69 Camaro almost ready too. After a few more flips I will have some money in my pocket to start moving forward.

30. BenHermance

BenHermance

Richard-Thanks again for letting me help with your project. I do a lot of Pro-touring and late model design work but I'm always eager to jump into projects like this. As you know, the gold concept was my favorite from the beginning so I'm happy to see it head in this direction. Good luck with the build and I can't wait to see your dream come to a reality!