Register now to get rid of these ads!

NAPA ..does know how!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 Spitfire, Apr 18, 2013.

1. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

I'd like to know how many times my local NAPA store (in Sugarcreek, Ohio) has found parts for me. Sometimes they look through books for a long time, then order the odd parts. They have even dropped parts off to my shop on the way home from work! (Thanks Don!!) I had to order a couple parts this morning and the owner Jim Harrison was at the counter. I told him when I come in the door the guys at the counter usually head to the back room and you will soon learn to do it too! He laughed at spent a long time trying to tract down my parts. Thanks to Jim and the NAPA crew!

By the way, today is the 71st. Anniversary of the famous Doolittle Raid. This raid although somewhat small had a huge impact on the Japanese and they knew we would be back someday with a little more! There are only four remaining crew members. The story is on today's Fox News site. Salute!

32 Spitfire

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502413&highlight=32+spitfire

Attached Files:

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Our local NAPA for years let me go in the back and dig through the Weatherhead fittings to find odd stuff I needed, but I got stopped at the counter one day by a new guy who said it was against "company policy now because of liability." He said tell me what you need and I'll go get it for you, but I told him I wouldn't know it until I saw it. So for the longest time I stopped going there.

Our local Advance still lets me dig through fan belts and radiator hoses because they know I am looking for some weird piece that won't show up on their computer search.

Don

3. stangman05gt

stangman05gt
    from illinois

my go to guys are Napa in Staunton illinois. never fail me. Even sells paint.

4. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

It is nice to go to a part store that is a parts store! Not like advanced or autozone where it's just a job. Plus napa seems to carry more American made products!

5. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Tough to find an "old fashion" parts store anymore. I just moved and am trying to establish a relationship with a local parts store like the one I had with my NAPA store in CT.

The comment about "not knowing what I need till I see it" is very true. Especially when you are trying to find a molded radiator hose for the latest project. Worth it's weight in gold to be able to walk in the back and paw through a bunch of hoses to find the one with just the right bends.

6. NAPA store here is no better than the others here and usually more expensive. Individual stores is only as good as it's mgrs and employees no matter the name.

7. phat rat

phat rat

That's when you should have had a conversation with the owner

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Oh, I did, I wasn't giving up easily, but the head guy told me that had been their policy for a while and the other employees who let me in were not following the rules. :rolleyes: So, for the longest time I avoided NAPA but recently started buying from them again.

Don

9. I've hardly ever had any trouble with Napa. I've gone in there countless times looking for some pretty off the wall stuff, they have always been able to help me or at least direct me to someone else who would have what I'm looking for. Usually if I have a large order they will put it under a business' account to give me a break as long as I pay with cash. They've got me out of a bind plenty of times!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I had a NAPA just outside my neighborhood. Great service and they did have some stuff the other guys didn't. Unfortunately, they built it within eye sight of an O'Reillys that's been the neighborhood store for almost 15 years.:( They closed 5 months ago.

11. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Walled Lake, MI

Knights Auto Supply INC, NAPA jobber
    I love when people come in with the, "Your not going to have it" Face, But leave happy with what they wanted, if not ordered.
    Paint, Hydro hose, machine work & Engines.

12. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

If you are set up with a ProLink account through NAPA it makes things a breeze. Go on there at 11pm at night and look for the part you need, it will tell you which stores or warehouses have it in stock, order it and get it the next day. The other day I needed a generator bushing for my shoebox, no listing under 51 Ford on ProLink. I found a FoMoCo part number for it, typed it in and it interchanged it. 53 cents, delivered.

13. jkeesey

jkeesey

I went to Napa this morning and asked for a set of header flanges and the kid behind to counter took 20 minutes trying to find them and then when he did he said "I have to order them, they are $256" needless to say I walked out and bought a $20 set at autozone.

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i wished i had a better rapport(?) with my napa store. they act like it pisses em off if i come in looking for something a little off the wall. guess they don't like my looks.but i do kinda look like santa............go figure

16. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I use the Novi shop - great bunch of guys there.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My napa argued with me.
    There is NO bolt that goes in a leaf spring pack, the leafs are just held together by the weight of the vehicle on the axle...

Or at least thats what the guy on the counter said, no matter what I tried to ask or say.

The Orileys around the corner though 2 kids hide when they see me, and one smiles and asks what im going to make him look up today.

18. Whenever I visit my grandma (very very small town in Ontario) I always go to the local NAPA. They always have what I need or can order it (mostly Y-Block stuff) They have a lot of knowledge as well. I live in a bigger city and the NAPA local to me:rolleyes: Let's just say I tried to buy an individual bolt once and they tried to sell me the whole box full of them. Having worked at parts stors myself I knew you were supposed to sell the bolts individually for $0.77.

19. gassman57

gassman57

20. bigvinny

bigvinny

small bottle of dot 5 brake fluid is 15 dollars at napa. I dont know how they stay in business. some of there prices are insane.

21. plymouth52

plymouth52

OMG I have have had the best Luck with Napa.
    I walked into a Oreilly the other day to exchange a battery, the Girl behind the counter, couldn't help me me because the battery was not out of a 52 plymouth (being 12 v)
    The whole crew argued for about 10 mins because they told me they had to assign the battery to a car.
    I said really You can't get 24 series Battery off the shelf
    I finally told them to look up a 67 dodge.
    As I left I told them I will not be be Back to spend a dime with them again, because they Hire Motards.

22. I really rely on my local NAPA I get great service and just like the old parts stores I can stop in and just hang out and talk about cars/ life without feeling pressured to buy anything. I do get good service from our local Auto Zone but I would rather buy at NAPA.

23. it all matters about the guy standing behind the counter the napa guys round here all act like they are supperior (like they graduated to the upper echilon working there)
    my advance and autozones both let me rummage around in the back room if the right guys are working

the by the book mentality guys really ruin it not only for the customers but for the company

24. slowmotion

slowmotion

The counter guys and owner/managers either make or break it. We've got an excellent Napa store here. They flat won't employ zero's or the clueless. And I understand they pay a little better wage for that right. I'm sure the return is worth it. Good on 'em.

25. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I called my local NAPA store yesterday and asked for a good pair of shocks for a 71 Chev Impala.
    After a comment that made me ask if he had been born then, he replied no, 1974, BUT, in seconds he had a listing for the shocks and an explaination of the different quality that were available. He had two in stock and would have the rears delivered today.

You can't beat that with a big stick!

26. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

I started this NAPA thread to thank a really nice group of guys and owner Jim Harris who does really care and serves this local Sugarcreek Community Fire Department.

It was another fun "Mission" in my 32 Spitfire yesterday but the real mission was 71 years ago with the Doolittle Raid.

Agian, this week is the 71st. Anniversary of the famous Doolittle Raid. This raid although somewhat small had a huge impact on the Japanese and they knew we would be back someday with a little more! There are only four remaining crew members. The story was on yesterday's Fox News site. Salute!

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

27. My local NAPA and O'Smileys are just the opposite , the Napa digs right in, in fact they just head for the old book rack when I walk in the door and are really shocked when I need something for an o/t in the computer part,

the BIG O' (NO) they (including the manager just have the deer in the headlight look when I say 40' or 54' lol don't go there unless I have lots of time to kill and want to look the parts up my self ,

LOVE my local NAPA franchise store

28. 15$:eek: wholly $Hit , its $6.99 on my side of the world :rolleyes:

29. Yes I do have the feeling what 32 is saying is we got off thread , I'm guilty my self ,

Thank You Sir for your service and helping make this country safe and great , as to all the past and present service men and women that hold up the High standard ,

30. cmarcus

cmarcus

NAPA has always gone out of there way for me as well. Ours locally (in Holland, MI) is run by all true gearheads. Love just going in there to talk cars/projects.