Register now to get rid of these ads!

Engine swap 1936 ford 21 stud to 49 Merc engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DrFRANKENKLEIN, Apr 15, 2013.

1. I am asking is there any of you old Ford gear heads that can give me some advise & tips on swapping out a 1936 Ford 21 stud flathead to a 1949 Mercury 24 stud flathead engine? I have a complete running 1949 Mercury engine with the bell housing clutch assembly all bolted up to a 1939 ford three speed top loader trans with a closed drive shaft tail end set up. I was told this will bolt up easily to my 1936 Ford. I am asking what is all involved with this swap out. Is there any special parts needed or mounts needed and exhaust headers needed? Any advise would be most use full. Thank you, Doc

2. myke

myke
    from SoCal

Besides the fan length it should be pretty straight forward, your 36 exhaust manifold will fit.

It would be sad seeing an 8BA in place of the 36 engine tho.

3. Thank you, I do appreciate that reply but is there a fan set up that will work? Is there a remedy for the cooling? I do not want to butcher anything and try and keep this car unmolested in structure. As far as a 8BA engine goes, it is a far much better Idea than installing a GM or Mopar engine in it. I will keep the original engine & trans but will need some rebuilding. A project for this next winter.

4. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Won't he also need to change to the 49-53 pick-up water pumps? Or can he get by with the Mercury motor mount spacers? Assuming he still has them.
    Farmalldan

5. myke

myke
    from SoCal

6. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I had this issue with my 36. Unless you change the entire front of the engine to the 59AB style you won't be able to run a mechanical fan. I ended up using an electric pusher.

7. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I would think that the mercury pumps would work with spacers.

Neal