Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR foot vs hand brake

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Hank, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

I'm well into the lahout stages of my HA/GR. (I should really start a build thread.) Originally I was planning to run a foot brake but after sitting in the mock-up there's not a much room for one given the need for a clutch peddle. I've got room for a hand brake. Anyone else running a hand lever to run the brakes?

2. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

they are set up both ways ,personal preference our car has a hand brake I think it is easyer to stage car.foot brake guys say more control in pits

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Seems to be different opinions on the subject. I prefer the hand brake as it makes holding the car at the line easier leaving both feet able to concentrate on the gas and clutch and it just feels more "dragster" to me.

4. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

My hand brake is on the rt side and as a im running an auto my shifter is on the left side. works either way as long as you get it stopped:)

5. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for the input... Now the next question... single or dual pot master? I'm thinking dual pot, one line to each side (only have rear brakes). Anyone tried this or just run a single.

6. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

I have a older mustang single pot single outlet style . I dont know about running the dual outlet style My t bucket has a dual pot from a 70s nova and I am shure more braking to the front line than the rear line even with drums . I think you might get an imbalance left to right ?

7. moracing

moracing
    from arizona

I also run a mustang single outlet master and hand brake ..... working good I like it

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

There's no way I'd split a dual pot between the left & right brakes without adding a balancing circuit, effectively rendering it nothing more than a complicated single pot system. There's no built in balancing circuit between the front & rear pots, and you'd play hell trying to balance'em via manual adjustment.

Another problem would be that the effective leverage needed to work the system will nearly double, due to the extra piston face surface added to the master side. So what would require an 8 to 1 lever now requires 16 to 1.

Due to a re-design of my car's layout I had to go with hand brake only this year as well, not enough room left for three pedals. Before however, I had both a pedal and a lever acting on the brake link. It was nice to have the best of both worlds, I hated to give it up. :(

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  9. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

That would make it easier to get slowed down in a fast stop situation a friend of mine has a fed with a hand brake but it works on a forward push which would be good cause your weight then helps out with the lever application. Its amazing the difference between hand brake and at the end of a foot

10. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

use a single cylinder you will find that due low weight of the and speed of the car that they will almost roll to astop on their own unless you are running a short track .we have to get back on the gas just clear the end of the strip ,of course Tulsa is a long strip

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yep, strictly push for me.

Even at 1400+ lbs, I make the first turn-off at every strip I run with no sweat.
    Hell, Rocky had to tell me to go on out the distance at Eagle, as only the towed cars're supposed to return in front of the stands. :eek:

12. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for the help. Hoping to make some progress on adapting the saginaw trans to a buick straight 8 this weekend. Should have enough to start a build thread then.

13. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

your a useing straight 8 buick that's great it will sound so cool you done yet

14. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Not done yet. Just starting.

15. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

A buick staight eight, waht are you planning for intake and carb/carbs?

16. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

Hoping to have it ready to roll with the stock intake and carb for the Hunnert Heads Up in June. After that I'm planning on 2x2 on a log intake for later in the summer. If I can get the car together quick enough I'll try to have the 2x2 Heads Up if not I'm shooting to have it at the HAMB Drags. All depends on how the summer goes.