Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XOFMOT, Apr 18, 2013.

1. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

My neighbor just picked up a 50 Merc that was painted with a Urethane Kandy a few years back. The Kandy did not adhere well to the base coat (Silver) on the hood and he is looking to paint the hood a flat black. His question is what type of paint should he use that wouldn't cause any type of reaction with that Kandy that's already on there??

Thanks!!

2. If its urethane another urethane..

3. Overtime

Overtime

As long as it gets sanded pretty aggressively, and all the peeling paint is off then any decent auto paint should chemically bond.stay away from any sort of laquer based paint and be sure to put a good 2k primer on first.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. XOFMOT

XOFMOT

He was thinking about getting : http://www.tcpglobal.com/Customshop/hrf201.aspx

It is a flat black and Urethane..Would a primer or sealer be needed?? Thanks again...we are both not painters but we want to give this hood a shot at it!!!

5. tom, i would use dp90, which is a black epoxy primer. chip back the peeling areas and sand back the edges till flat, finish with 180 grit on a da. use the epoxy, then a filler primer if needed.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Take the hood off. Strip to bare metal. That way you will get rid of the reason the paint peeled. Start the painting process the way your paint supplier suggests. Use one brand of material if possible.
    It's only a hood, you should be able to get it done in a day!

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Why not go to a reputable shop and have them mix up the proper color for the hood?
    The candy may cost, but they should be able to closely match the shade even in a non candy color.

8. oldolds

oldolds

I would guess the thinking is, most shops will not even try to panel match a candy paint. If it's going to mismatch you may as well make it flat black and do it myself and save a few $$$'s

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Not a great idea! a REAL good painter might be able to match the candy, but you've got to find a good one. Candy is notoriously difficult to match, esp. if you don't know what brand, how many coats, etc. I've been able to match stuff pretty well, but on my own paint jobs, and I keep records of the paints, coats, etc. to make it easier.
    Painter who can match candy are few and far between, though.
    Good luck!

I might try to help, but I could not guarantee a perfect match.

10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

X2 on the Strip and redo, whether it's going to flat black or another candy