Register now to get rid of these ads!

I think 10% alcohol is trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Timberlake, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

We have run it for over 20 years in Indiana, maybe we get special vehicles here that run just fine in it.

2. Jimm56

Jimm56

I read the article, didn't check out the organization. They claim 7% at first, but ethanol accounts for 40% of the corn crop in 2011. That's an awful big, easily confirmed whopper.

See this article in the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/opinion/25Rattner.html?_r=0

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  3. dano1930

dano1930

no matter what gas you were running im pretty sure you would have had the same results from what youve said. :rolleyes: but yeah i hear ya the new gas can be troublesome

4. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I don't remember for sure. But not as old as the one I replaced last time. Maybe 5 years.

5. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I wish they only sold E-85 so I would have a use for 12 sets of 12.5 to 1 Big Block Chevy pistons...
    I love the sound of a BBC with 12.5 to 1 thru mufflers!

6. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

I think it's a real shame to ruin all that alcohol by putting 90% gas in it!

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The ethanol resistant Holley diaphram is green. Newer Packard fuel pump diaphrams are also ethanol resistant. NOS parts, not so much...

8. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

That's what I'm going to look for this next go around! Thanks.

9. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The small engine guys deal with a lot of diaphragms, primarily as pulse pumps. The consensus among these guys seems to be that they haven't come up with a material to make these with that doesn't harden with alcohol exposure. Some say that they have made some minor improvements in longevity, but it's a still a huge problem. So, I guess if your diaphragm gets hard for over 4 hours, contact your mechanic immediately!

Another one is the little clear primer bulbs. They can't seem to be able make any clear plastics compliant. The list goes on.....

It always amazes me how misunderstood this stuff is, even among us car guys that people turn to for information about this.

Most folks still seem to think that gas tanks and other fuel system parts are being made in plastic these days as a cost saving measure. Think again.

Subsidies? Well, it's true that the one subsidy that was in place to level the price of ethanol to match gasoline was removed. The oil companies are still forced to use it, so it didn't serve much use anymore. So....the hike in gas prices this last year shows that you are now paying for it at the pump, instead of your federal taxes. All the farm subsidies and gazillions in green agenda funds are still flowing out of your tailpipe.

Nothing green about it folks. Except for the money in the pockets of the profiteers.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

We have been running it for well over a decade here too. I don't really see the problems many say they are having.Ive got a stihl trimmer thats had the same primer Bulb for over 8 years. I've ran 100% Methanol for years in race applications that does require a little extra care/maintenance but even then I didn't expirience some of the problems some people claim they are having with the 10% gasoline?

11. scrubba

scrubba

Unfortunately, there are too many "NON ATTAINMENT " areas here in the United states . The entire state of California is such an example . Phoenix, Houston , Dallas and most of Northern Virginia all fall within the regimes Smog guidelines . Trying to find "Pure gasoline" in these areas is difficult if not impossible . scrubba

12. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I just read yesterday that FL, OR and WV all have legislation in progress to remove the requirement of ethanol fuels but more specifically eliminate E15 all together. Maybe, just maybe, legislators are hearing that ethanol fuels are not all they have been touted to be.

13. Mike

Mike

"I think 10% alcohol is trouble."

Unless it's mixed with 90% nitro.

14. To start with you want a blue alcohol resistant pump diaphraghm.

next you want to either run it at least once a week or drain the carb or pur fuwl stabilizer in it and tu run it until it gets all the way through the fuel system fif you plan on leting it sit for long periods of time.

nnext you want to replace any rubber lines with alcohol resistant fuel line.

Uh what was the question?

15. chubbie

chubbie

the biggest blunder in corn subsidies history is the fact that they paid the "first half" in 2012. there was nothing in the farm bill for a ceiling. no one thought corn would ever go that high. this being said it was less than you think. The news is saying the 2013 payment will prevent any one farmer from getting over $50,000 This is BS in the usual way. That has been in the farm bill for the last 10 or 15 years!!!

to you guys that think your food source is shorted by ethanol, wrong so wrong. American farmers have the ability to produce FAR MORE CORN than can be used. the old farm programs reduced corn production. Guess they maybe grow 10 times more today than in 1947 when the farm programs started.

Cattle feedders WANT the by product of the ethanol, distillers grains are far more digestable product than corn, there isn't enofe to go around!! around here the ethanol is the by product of the distillers grains!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Truth........

I've used Ethenol in my Company vehicles for over 25 years at 50,000 miles per year.
    With Ethenol - about 2.5 miles per gallon less.
    The Ethenol avgs. about 13 cents per gallon less here - so... it's a wash.
    I see my neighbors working at those plants and they do business with me, so worth it ?
    YEA - absolutely to me !

I read the manual in my small engine stuff and if it says don't use Ethenol - I don't.
    If it says ok - I do.

My old cars - I don't - no Biggie.

As for the political tax aspect - The HAMB is not the palce to even discuss that.
    The Tax code is F'D in every aspect so no sense even discussing.

Ethenol is there to use if you choose.
    Don't want to - ok - fine.

Great to have that choice.

Cob

17. rfraze

rfraze

Sing out if your state does not give you that choice. If not, what fuel do you do run in your aircooled engines?

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Houston, TX. and surrounding areas, NO "regular" gas. Not ANYWHERE. I use a Lucas additive to remove ethynol.

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Sorry Cob, don't have a choice here. We're stuck with the corrosion, poor mileage and poor running. I don't want to see any Americans out of work or losing business but corn is for tortillas not fuel.

20. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I haven't seen non-ethanol gasoline for sale within an hour or more drive from here for probably 20 or more years. I'm in north east IL.
    Sooo, I don't have any choice but to run 10% ethanol in my air cooled stuff, and yes corrosion has been a problem.

21. Daner

Daner

22. vetrod62

vetrod62

I have two hot rod 1962 corvettes. The one I have owned since 1966, I went over board with. It has a 1000 HP, blown, injected 532 Bowtie engine in it. I built it in 1992-2002. The engine and fuel system was bought/installed in 1995 from BDS. It runs a BDS 871 with EFI. BDS sold me two Paxton Kamikaze electric fuel pumps at $500 each. The pumps are really an Aeromotive A1000 pumps. The engine and fuel system worked great with the old gas back then.

I put the blown car aside to build and race my second 62 vette because the tracks would not let me run the blown car for lack of safety. Bull Sh!t.

So I built my Black car to race. It took a few years to get the Black car to run Fast. Mean while, I finally put some newer fuel with 10% alcohol in the blown car to start it, and Fn magnets fell off in the expensive fuel pumps. WTF. Well documented on the net, when gasoline was required to put Alcohol in it, the epoxy that held the magnets on dissolved.

Paxton was out of business, I called Aeromotive, they told me basically, If it was an Aeromotive pump they would repair it for a reasonable fee, but because it was a Kamikaze, over labeled Aeromotive, that I paid too much for, I was Fuc!ed and they did not care.

Am I pissed, you bet.

23. 68vette

68vette

I get better gas mileage also when I run ethonol-free gas...its about 3-4 mpg difference.

To those who mentioned politics, you know it is, look who owns one of the ethonol plants....but the bigger story here is that it does AFFECT the running of our old cars and other old gasoline powered motorcycles, etc and not in a positive way.

I am surprised and dissapointed that the big car associations have not been more vocal to at least have stations add an ethonol free pump at each station.

24. most pumps say may contain up to 10%. I am told that it is splash blended at the rack. There are some cases out there that it has been over 10%. The one I know of was near Philly.

25. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

26. 10% alocohol:
    in beer, that's a strong beer.
    in wine, that's a weak wine.
    in gin, that's not gin.
    in gas, that's a can of damned worms.....

27. Jimm56

Jimm56

You are correct. Alcohol can't be shipped via pipeline because it absorbs water.

28. Yep Corncob- it'd be really easy to just use the pump marked "no ethanol" if there was one in WA state- but there isn't.
    Two of my old cars have had big problems with 10% corn juice. My daily driver also gets worse mileage with it (checked when we still had the option)
    I will have to check out the Lucas product, I hadn't heard of one that removes alcohol.

29. chubbie

chubbie

Wow this is some great stuff! you say it removes ethanol!!! the answer to all your problems.

I still LOVE your posting! maybe just your avatar:eek:

30. rfraze

rfraze

Sing out if your state DOES have gas available that does NOT contain any alcohol. Here in Oregon it is called clear premium and is only available at certain locations. Sold mostly to solve the damage caused to air cooled engines (think logging), it can be used in cars older than some year. An attendant must pump your fuel in Oregon.