Register now to get rid of these ads!

Screw dynamat. Peel and seel great sound dampening material....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blake84, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Lpdesignz

Lpdesignz
    from Sin city

nah this shit is da bomb... did my whole car for $700 it was well worth it...i agree the price is outrageous but i have used the cheaper stuff and there aint no thing like the real thing...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

3. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

I Did a 94 explorer with the peel and seal, it worked great until the temps were above 90. Then the melting tar stunk up my ride and the black goo ruined my headliner. Dynamat really works better and is worth the $. Buy something made to deaden sound in automobiles! Its worth it,

4. Primered48

Primered48

I do have to say that the warmer weather tar run had me concerned because the heat gun did not take much to get the tar to run. I decided not to use it under the headliner just incase. I'll use Dynamat there instead.

5. gsport

gsport

Yeah, not putting it on the roof might be a good idea.

6. DualQuadFury

DualQuadFury

Looks like a great alternative to the overpriced products...I'll be using it in my Fury.

7. sparkydog

sparkydog
    from Left Coast

I drank the Koolaid! I am a board-certified cheap bastard so it was a no-brainer for me. And my helpful $.02 for anybody doing this (regardless of which brand you use) is to try using one of these handles from a foam roller brush. It was PERFECT for smoothing out the stuff into all the nooks and crannies! :cool:

Attached Files:

8. slammed

slammed

I am going to fur out the side walls in the house. And lay this stuff in between the studs and the backside of the finish wall.

9. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

If you use the Peel & Seal on the roof, tape the seams with a quality "metal" tape, not duct tape. That will prevent any "tar" that might seep thru the seams due to hot weather.

10. jimbousman

jimbousman

Yup, Been there done that...works like a champ.

11. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

I'm glad to see an alternative to dynomat, that stuff's waaaaaay too pricey.

12. sparkydog

sparkydog
    from Left Coast

Some have posted their concerns about this stuff melting in hot temps and I thought it was a legit point. So I rigged up a little test while the wife was away and used our oven to find out how hot the Home Depot stuff could get before it did something bad.

The lowest the oven would go is 170* F so that's where I started and let it soak 30 min at 170*. Next I went to 190* and then to 210*. The vertical piece started to sag a teensy bit at 190* and a lot at 210*. But the horizontal/upside down piece didn't melt and fall off or anything even at 210*. So my conclusion was that I will go ahead and use it on my interior roof because I coated it with spray can bedliner (cheap-ass lizard skin) which will knock the temp down a bit and my cab roof has almost no vertical sections.

I should also mention that I didn't notice any strong odor from the tar. There was a slight one at the start but by the time I pulled it out after 1.5 hours the heat and partial melting of the mat didn't seem to produce a powerful tar smell at all. (Your results may vary.)

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      63 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      74.2 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      75.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  13. YAPP

YAPP

Good job on the oven test. At first I was like, "my wife would friggin kill me". Then I realized she hasn't opened that damn oven once in the last 7 years!

OK, back on topic. Great test.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. Couldn't find peel in seal.. Bought fatmat off eBay it was cheaper and came with a knife and roller

[​IMG]

15. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

Yea, but dynamat has Chip Fooses picture on the box that has to count for at least $150 more per box, right ??? Sarcsam

16. kennkat

kennkat

:)Nice job on the followup test! :):):)
    :DI too have used it on all floor surfaces & kick panel areas as a sound deadening insulation...

17. -DouG-

-DouG-

I can't remember if it was mentioned in this thread but just in case it wasn't:

If your local Lowe's (mine didn't) doesn't stock Peel & Seal, you can order it online from Lowe's and shipping is free. Mine came in 2 days.

Hope this helps

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Thought I would do an update since a Social Group member brought up this subject,my Peel and Seal has been on about a year even used on the roof of my '54 and zero problems or issues.Keep in mind we are even two days away from a record for the most days over 110 degrees here in Phoenix,I give the product two thumbs up! Here are two pictures of the roof installed,see my earlier post here because you don't want to forget the seam tape.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  19. dan31

dan31

That's good to know,i spent waayy to much doing my 31 and I still have to do my 54

20. bandit14569

bandit14569

I bought 6 rolls last week here in WNY , love the stuff

21. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Used FatMat XXX Rattle Trap (3x's thick as FatMat) on the main floor. Then Peal-n-Seal the wheel wells/trunk. Both are very good for the investment. Will double the floor and do the remainder after the Cheaters Show Sat. with both products.

22. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

How much do u think it would be to lizard skin a 52 2 door chevy and would I need anything in addition to the LS. Also, has any one ever used the newer metal building insulation. It has "foil" on both sides of bubble wrap like plastic. It about 1/8" thick and has an r value of R13

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That will depend on how you put it on. If you put it on thick, you'll need more than the guy that puts it on thin. This is one of those things that are trial and error. Do yours and report how it goes.

24. NAES

NAES

If you're a crafty kinda guy then you might want to Google Lizard Skin recipes. ;)

25. Awesome idea/price!! I love these kind of price saving tips!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. I guess the only down side would be if you ever had to remove it for any reason. Probably be a bitch to get that stuff off.

27. I got peel and stick a roofing supply store, 36'' x 30', $100.00. Use a heat gun to warm it up and a putty knife to remove.

28. ssimpala

ssimpala

Lot's of good info here. I've used it on several different vehicles and really like it so far.