Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which ways the Beach? Santa Maria to Austin Roadtrip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Awsome roadtrip! Thanks for sharing.

I had the same weather at Cadillac ranch when I was there. :rolleyes:

2. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Thanks for taking the time to share it. I'm already looking forward to the sequel.

I bet this thread bumps the price of American Wagons up another ten percent this summer.

3. Jake H.

Jake H.

EPIC!

That's all I got. Keep ruling.

4. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Definitely the best and most inspiring thread I've read. Thanks for sharing

5. otas

otas

John, after reading Kenna's blog I would have to say that most of the people responding didn't read it. My wife was trying to watch the apprentice last night and couldn't because I was laughing so hard. The chicken fried steak story was soooo funny.

Shawn, what a great trip you and your family experienced. Definitely what life is all about. Family, road trip and old cars. Doesn't get any better. Good for ryan that he made your story one of his topics or some of us would have never got to take the trip with you guys.

6. QuarterLifeCrisis

QuarterLifeCrisis
    from NY

Man, what a great story and awesome pictures. It's been said a million times here before, but what you're creating here are memories the kids will carry with them for their entire lives. This thread is everything I aspire to be when I have kids of my own. Thanks for sharing this and for making a drab Monday morning in NYC a little brighter.

Chris

7. Thanks for taking the time and posting for us HAMB peoples!! Most excellent, top to bottom!

8. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

So glad you made it home safe. 1 of the best threads of all time. Thanks for letting us go on the trip with you in your pics.

9. Amazing story sounds like a lot of fun! I would love to take a road trip like this one day....

10. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Kenna and I have had so much fun reading all the comments! And to get a family vacation featured on the JalopyJournal? That is unbelievable, we are glad you all enjoyed it!

11. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Nothing but admiration! I would love to take a road trip with my fam in the 60... The most we go is about 200 miles or so...

12. davidh73750

davidh73750

it was great talking with you at LQ and nice to see the wagon in person(I have the wagon book). I had my boys with me too. My 550mi trip to lsr was nothing on yours. Thanks for offering your alternator when mine shorted too.

13. Ironclad

Ironclad
    from Covina

Awesome family trip

14. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

That looked like an PHENOMENAL time!!

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

A most excellent journey and even better read. Thanks for taking us along. I'm sure you know by now but I always recommend tucking a couple of rocker arms and pushrods into the travel tool kit if your sbc powered. If you do that you'll never need them.......leave then at home and sure as anything you'll have one go bad.:rolleyes::D

Frank

16. jfrolka

jfrolka

Totally awesome... what a trip, I did a kansas trip with my dad to pickup the racecar in the avatar, good times. Texas was a fun one!

Your wifes blog is pretty hilarious too! Good job, and great memories!

17. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Awesome road story, glad you brought the car too.

Attached Files:

18. I am such a sucker for road trip threads! Thanks for sharing, and thank Kenna for sharing her blog posts, too.

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Shawn and family.Outstanding thread.Brings back many memories of the road trips/vacations that Mom,Dad and my sister and I experienced when growing up.
    Our ride was a 53 Studebaker Champion.More fun than a barrel of drunk monkeys.Thanks again for sharing.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Thanks for being a regular guy with a regular family. I am glad Kenna slipped in that you were a youth pastor. So many people have a skewed impression of men and their families that serve God that it is refreshing to have your family out in the world making a good impression. Your church and community are lucky to have you.
    By the way I sold a '60 brookwood wagon last year. Thanks for taking all of us along.

21. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

22. pbr40

pbr40
    from NW Indiana

Thanks for the ride along with this post! Looks like you had a great time!

23. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

Dude, you are living right. Awesome story, just read the whole thing.

I remember going across the U.S. in a Chevy II stationwagon.

Next time in Austin, try P.Terry's burgers if you are a fan of In-N-Out.

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

That was fun. Right on.

I won't roadtrip in a SBC without a couple of extra pushrods and rocker arms in the toolbox. Been there, done that.

Oh, and if the wifey doesn't write for a living she's seriously missed a calling in life! HILARIOUS!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  25. BCR

BCR

Great thread. Thanks for posting.
    We did a road trip to L.A. Roadster show in 2010 and the kids talk about it all the time.
    My 455 Olds ate a push rod on the trip but the gas station didn't have one. Guess the sbc guys were right. Ha Ha

26. daddio211

daddio211

Don't you four need to go to the store or something? Take the wagon and the camera! We wanna go for another ride with you!

Wal Mart? KMart? Gas station? Parts store? I hear Denny's has some VERY mediocre Chicken Fried Steak.... ;)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Amazing story. Thanks for sharing and for the inspiration to try this type of trip with my wife and two boys.Y'all rule

28. Well done you have something nobody can take from you... the perpetual smile of a trip that most people will never experience and some will pass away never crossing this off their bucket list!

29. rust rejuvinator

rust rejuvinator
    from Hialeah FL

Awesome thread , look forward to your next adventure.

30. [​IMG]

I know of at least two people you inspired to buy wagons! Picked this one up when I was home on leave....when finished, we are gonna cross country to visit the redwoods and the cars thing at disney!