Register now to get rid of these ads!

1970's hurst competition plus shifter rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldoginMd, Apr 18, 2013.

1. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I have a 1970's hurst competition plus shifter #369684 that I need to take apart , does anyone know where I can get a blow up of the pieces ?

Thanks

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

If someone doesn't have what you need just take lots of pictures so you can refer back to them for reassembly. There isn't a lot to these shifters, mostly you will just be cleaning it up and replacing a few plastic bushings and rub plates (maybe). If you watch how it comes apart and take the pictures you should be ok.

Don

3. Any idea what its out of? Any general paperwork that comes with any comp plus shifter should work. PM if you can't find one, I probably have one still in the box with my shifter on the shelf.

Bob

4. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

There's a guy on YouTube that has a video on the rebuild process, I used it and it helped alot.

5. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Thanks
    I need to take the guts out of it to find out why I can not get it in reverse .

I will try to find the vidio on utube
    Thanks again

6. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

7. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Hey on the not going into reverse I have one in my model lsr car and u have to push down to get it to go in reverse. I thought there was a problem with it and started to take it apart then figured it out.Also it helps to have it bolted down to make it work. Hope this helps.

8. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

If your going to the trouble of taking it apart, atleast get a set of new metal bushing instead of the plastic ones.

9. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

Thanks for the links 327- however I do have one more question to all ..what is the shifting patern for reverse ? I managed to get 3 and 4 but no reverse ....there does not seem to be any delete ...ie; push down and .....

is it all the way to the left and down ?
    Thanks
    Oldog

10. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I believe you will find it to the left and forward. :rolleyes: Unless you have a uncommon trans.

11. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

About ten years ago I sent an old super shifter to Hurst for a rebuild. Had a Nevada address, think it was 75 bucks. Call Hurst customer service if interested. It was like new.

12. OldoginMd

OldoginMd