Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Peep mirrors....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raidmagic, Apr 17, 2013.

1. raidmagic

raidmagic

SUCK!!!!:D
    I bought a set because I like the look but these things are horrible. The car is bad enough for blind spots and these don't help one bit. What do you recommend for mirrors, what is out there that has that 50's flare but are still useable. The car is a 49 Hudson.

2. 48ford

48ford

What I did I got round stick on mirrors I think thet come 3 or 4" I used the 4" peeled off the paper and stuck them on the peep mirrors. It works and its cheap
    Russ

3. raidmagic

raidmagic

I bought the convex ones, the driver side one isn't bad but you can't see the pass. side one nevermind what's in it. The door covers 3/4 of it. It doesn't hang low enough.

4. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Funny this thread came up. I am in the same boat. Bought peeps, drivers side is doable, passenger side useless. I bought mirrors that mount on the door edge close to belt line. The mirror is not on a ball to change the angle. It only slides if that makes sense. Kind of a clockwise or counter clock wise action. No tilt action.

This is for a 52 chevy.

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Also a pet peeve of mine. You know you've hit the hot rod wall when you finally discover that "The Look" really isn't more important than "The Function." The stick-on 4" convex lenses from Wally world will help out a lot. Lord knows why they can't make peeps with the proper mirrors in the first place. Gary

6. I also used a convex stick on mirror and stuck it to the passenger side mirror. allows you to see a lot more.

7. peep mirrors can be placed anywhere to provide the best visabilty unless you own a car like a 60 t-bird

8. The one thing peep mirrors do really well is screw up the paint on your doors!

Jim

9. LostHope

LostHope

with a name like "peep mirror" did you think you were going to get a great view? Now if it was called a "full spectrum mirror" I would understand why you would be let down , if you couldnt see anything...I also cant see crap out the pass. side peep mirror on my car its more for looks then function.

10. Rooster619

Rooster619
    from phoenix AZ

HA! they are worthless damn mirrors spend more time looking at the body of you car than anything else

11. Cruiser

Cruiser

I've been looking for some good peep mirrors and there just not out there at this time. I would glue on some rubber or felt before tightening the screws on any peep mirrors.
    The availability of the currant peep mirrors suck. Seems all the crap mirrors are make in China and they don't give a shit.
    I was to late to bid on an original Chevy peep mirror on ebay, the mirror went for $253.. Damn :mad:
    Isn't there an American company out there that can make a quality vintage style mirror?

CRUISER :cool:

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Hagan, not cheap but......................

13. I bought two 5" round mirrors from the Ford Barn and made my own arms. They work great. I don't have a Hudson but I'd think you could fab up something. I also noticed that Speedway now sells arm extensions for the peep mirrors to bring them down a bit. Might check into that. www.speedwaymotors.com. Nice looking car by the way.

14. I gave up on the peep mirrors. My dentist uses bigger mirrors to look inside my mouth. I went with the So-Cal swan neck mirrors. Drilled two holes in the doors, and screwed them on. Put them in the more conventional spot, just above the beltline, out of the way of the vent window. Work great, until I bump into them in the garage while walking past the car.

15. wow thats really cool, i never thought of that gotta get me some,i cant see shit out of it unless i actually peep my head up to see ..

by the way, peep mirrors are so useless on the pass side that i dont even use one. I think the car looks better that way anyways

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I drove my '46 Chevy Coupe with a mild chop for months without side mirrors. Now I just have a mirror on the driver side.

Be a man and just look over your shoulder :)

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I remember when alot of cars had only a drivers side mirror (in addition to the interior mirror) my first car, a Nomad only had a drivers side mirror. Even now with my newer everyday car I drive, I still look over my shoulder. Just a habit from growing up with those old cars.

18. On ebay, 4 inch extended arm peep mirror

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  19. raidmagic

raidmagic

I understand they weren't going to give a full view, the drivers side isn't too bad but the pass. side is completely covered by the door frame.

These are a nice well put together piece and they come with rubber pieces that go between the mirror and the door.

Thanks!
    Now that's something that can be helpful, I'll check out the Speedway ones, got pics of the arms you made?

Got some pics I can check out?

20. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I bought the mirrors that mount on the door hinge---they are adequate but not a lot better than the peep mirrors.

21. historynw

historynw

I've used a couple styles and these worked the best......get the metal ones & noT the cheap plastic. You can change the visible stance of them by just rotating the mirror.

Now all I got to do is get them on, as soon as the buffing is done :rolleyes:
    its a PIA getting in and out of the garage w/o knowing where the fenders are going to be.

22. bullnose52

bullnose52

I have a 48 chevy street rod with king bee mirrors. I put a stick on convex on pass side. It helps.

23. historynw

historynw

Mines a 47, I'm going to ask my old timey glass shop if by chance they can cut a convex mirror to fit the rgt side that fits.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  24. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

The passenger side "peep" mirror on my 48 Plymouth is completely useless, so even though its not "HAMB approved", I rigged up a back-up camera that slips over the side window. There's a video monitor that clips onto the ash tray in the dash. When I park the car, I can remove it all in a minute or so. Haven't "road tested" it yet, but it should help a lot.

Attached Files:

25. earlymopar

earlymopar

I don't like them for other reasons. I think cosmetically they really mess up the lines of a car (contrary to the reason they are often used). They stand out like the proverbial "sore thumb"!

- EM

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Peep mirrors are not for function, but rather to pass vehicle inspection/codes. Side view mirrors generally don't look good, therefore the smaller you keep them, the better the car looks.
    In a chopped car, you have enough work seeing where you're going, not where you've been.

From a Happy Days episode (paraphrasing);

Fonzie; (sitting on his cycle) "Hey Ritchie, do you think my mirrors look better up or turned down on my bars"?

Ritchie; "Well Fonz, I think you'd be able to see better with them up".

Fonz; "Hey! I'm not concerned with where I've been. I wanna know how cool I look getting there".

27. badgeree

badgeree

I've got these on my Coupe. Driver's side really good. Passenger side one just to balance out the look. I thought it was a left hand drive / right hand drive thing. Glad to see it's not just me.

28. Pics of the swan neck mirrors, as requested.

Attached Files:

29. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I have 4" mirrors on my 32 Ford, I Put a stick on convex on the pass side, makes a big difference. 3" mirrors are too small to do much good.

Ago

30. Weasel

Weasel

Speedway peep mirror extensions help as others have mentioned, straight arm helps too and there is a seller on egay that has 4 3/4" diameter peeps. I cannot believe I am saying this on a traditional hot rod site:eek:, but how about a rear view camera set for full time on? I know a model A owner who has done this. These are all options I am considering for my 1940 Ford sedan delivery - and yes I am OCD about keeping it trad looking....