Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question- lowering blocks and pinion angle ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Apr 18, 2013.

1. I'm thinking of installing lowering blocks - does it effect pinion angle?

I have 50 ford - the aerostar coils up front and standard leaf on rear with 51 ford shackles - the rear sits too high.

2. 68vette

68vette

I would think the angle would stay the same.

3. bgaro

bgaro

pinion angle no, just the angle of the drive shaft. what size blocks? what's your concern?

4. 226 flattie

226 flattie
    from orange,ca

Depending on how low you go the pinion angle will remain the same with 1-3 inch blocks. 4" blocks will have a angle. When using blocks the only angle that changes is at the transmission . This can usually be corrected with shims under the transmission mount pad to crossmember.

5. Fordoors

Fordoors

Not to hijack this thread...regarding the Aerostar coils...looking to do the same. Does it matter what spring code? Apparently there are 5 to choose from (J, K L, M, W)?

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If the differential rises in a fixed vertical plane (goes straight up and down), then the pinion angle would not change.

I believe that some leaf springs rise in an arc, especially if the axles are not centered on the springs, therefore the pinion angle may change as axle rises.

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pinion angle may not change, but the U-joint working angle will, and is something that should be checked/measured when lowering the rear suspension.

8. kingofthecrate

kingofthecrate

Even if going 3 inches? I have 4 inch blocks on mine now and even though I am 2600 miles away from my car, I dont remember if the blocks are tapered. I want to raise it up an inch because I cant get the damn wheels off without taking the shackles off the rear axle..

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Pretty common problem on lowered cars without hydraulics or air bags. I have the same problem on my car. I'm going to put some air bags on the rear when I get back to working on it.