Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 Oldsmobile Fiesta

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HighSpeed LowDrag, Apr 17, 2013.

1. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

The shop just bought one. Do you like them? I saw it today for the first time. Should be an interesting and expensive restoration. Anyone know any 1953 Fiesta experts? Ha Ha. You never know - we might need parts.

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Interesting, a invisible car.

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I don't see any pics.

Nearly all visible parts on the '53 Fiesta are unique to that car. It was basically a GM Motorama design that saw limited production, along with the Buick Skylark and Cadillac El Dorado. They are so unique and so desirable that many collectors consider having these three cars together a hat trick so to speak.

I actually do know an expert (NOT ME) but parts aren't available or cheap. ;)

[​IMG]

4. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Ha Ha. Good one. Didn't know that I needed to provide pictues when opening a post. You doubt me? I've got better stuff to do than make this up. I can provide pictures if that makes you happy.

Gotgas - please pm me with your info on the expert. We may already know them or may not. Any leads are appreiciated.

I'll try to post some pictures of how it looks this week. I think they are planning to take it apart on Saturday.

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

not just me, but it will make a lot of H.A.M.Bers happy to see some photos.

6. rld14

rld14

That's by far the rarest of the three.....

Yes, we want pics!

7. belair

belair

Cool picture. But show us yours.

8. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

#1. iT'S NOT MINE.

#2 I'll take some pics and post them. Could possibly do a thread about the restoration.

#3 Is this car really that desirable? I know I'm an idiot for asking, but its an OK looking car. Are they really all that? And yes, it has all of the trim and the body actually looks more solid than some of the muscle cars that we do. You never know until the body is down to metal though. We have a '56 Roadmaster convertible that we are doing that looks way better to me. That's why I ask if the car is actually that desirable. I know that my boss paid quite alot for it and I'm sure he did his homework but still............are they that desirable?

9. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Yes, they are that desirable. Go to the AACA website for more information.

10. Wow very rare and desirable car...one of the best designs ever

11. Rckt98

Rckt98

Very rare, only 458 made. Wonder how many have survived?

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I would give my left nut for a Fiesta

13. john walker

john walker

don't break that windshield.

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Incredibly rare and gorgeous, there's one in the Sarasota Auto Museum, the only one I've ever seen

15. flynstone

flynstone

ha ha ha 900 posts and you thought no one would ask for a pic? come on, i would love to see pics.... its not the doubt....just wanna see the score of a rare car

16. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

sweet lets see it !!! Im building a 53 88 2 door hard top. 2 years into build now . after car burned up in building fire. I will start a build thread when I get a little farther along. I hate when a build thread starts but goes no where . I would like to have picture stash and then post more each day to keep interesting. I have a lot of extra parts I have been gathering and hoarding sorry. If you have any questions about car PM me. I have a couple of pics on my profile page.

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Well, let's all hope Lowspeed, Highdrag, will post some photos.

18. Extremely rare , but not as popular as the 1953 Buick Skylark, or the Cadillac Eldorado. In 1953 Cadillac, Buick, and Olds made expensive customized convertibles that were taken from top line convertible and customized with chopped tops and custom features.
    These cars cost almost double what the regular convertible cost.
    These cars bring in the 150K to 250K range restored.
    I am restoring a 53 Skylark, and I have an Oldsmobile fiesta windshield and trim in my attic.

19. rld14

rld14

It's a very special and significant car and a restored one is worth $200,000. Olds only made about 550 of them, and I remember reading in multiple places that between 30-50 are believed to survive. For a "domestic exotic" of the 50s that is a VERY low survival figure. GM made a similar number of '53 Eldorados but I am told that over half of those exist, and the survival rate of things like Continental Mark 2s, Eldorado Broughams, Packard Caribbeans, etc is similar.

Put this into perspective, they made half as many 56 Caribbean Convertibles, but a usual search always shows 5 or so for sale at any given time.

Olds Fiesta? Perhaps one hits the market every 18-24 months.

20. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

VERY cool car! There was one in the Detroit area in the 80's.. made it to all of the car shows.

Also... there must be 10 times as many hubcaps as Fiesta's made :D (Fiesta's, Lancers and Sombrero's were the hot ticket in the 50's).

I know of a nice pair of doors and some other stuff from a Skylark resto, 99% sure they are the same. The stuff is up here in the Seattle area.

And YES.... 1953 Eldo, Skylark and Fiesta all in ONE collection IS a Hat Trick and is commonly considered a "Matched Set" that could break a million at auction........ to the right buyer :eek:

Pics please!

21. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

hotrod1940 is right. Very rare cars. That windshield/cowl area on the Fiesta's was remarkable for its time.

Saw a Fiesta here in St. Louis when I was a kid. I knew a Disc Jockey locally who had a brand new '53 Powder Blue Olds 98 Convert with a Dark Blue top that made me drool...but the Fiesta truly blew me away !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

22. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Just realized I might have been talking out of my ass....... :rolleyes:

Just looked it up after my post:

in 2011 Mecum had a 1953 Eldorado, Skylark, Fiesta AND........Corvette. THAT collection was RUMORED to be capable of breaking a million... but pretty sure it didn't. In fact, I think the Fiesta barely broke $100k on that one.

STILL a very cool car and Extremely rare. Also, still have the lead on the doors and stuff.... they might be Fiesta doors... not sure.. but the guy definitely restored a Skylark. I would be more than happy to check if need be......:D

23. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

I believe the 458 were delivered one to each Olds dealer (give or take an executive car here or there) - Mike Fusick is restoring one and he's had a few pieces reproduced (windshield comes to mind) - but I think he only has one left for sale. Don't lose the wiper arms. This wouldn't be the white / orange with the unfortunately-louvered-only-fits-fiesta hood, would it?

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I would love to see pics! I've only seen old pictures of these but they look so great...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

25. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Just took some pictures. Will post toniight when I get home if I can figure it out. If not, I will have the wife do it. (She knows all - just ask her if you doubt me)

FWIW - today they worked on a paint match. Underside of the trunk was what was used as a reference. It's a white with a sort of Teal back. Not sure of the correct color names but that gives you an idea of the color of the car.

Apparently the Boss has done his homework and has a couple NOS parts already, including a windshield. I'm not surprised as he usually has all of his ducks in a row.

I'll post pics later fella's. Promise.

26. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

27. Rckt98

Rckt98

Is it tonight yet???????

28. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, I know.

If anyone wants to re-size them, please do.

I'll try to take more pictures as time goes on.

1954 rocket 98 likes this.
  29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice looking. A true 50s car. Will the car be repainted the same color? It's a beautiful color combo that just screams 50s.