Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's O/t--But it's taking me to Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nmbuellist, Apr 17, 2013.

1. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

I'm going to get to go to Bonneville my first time as a crew member. I went up this past weekend to my buddy's shop and got filled in on travel details. I feel like I'm in a version of Worlds Fastest Indian. He has pushed this sidecar rig to 176 MPH last year and now is building a streamliner body. It's 15 ft long and has a tail. He explained the aerodynamics to me as I sat there with my in amazement. This guy is 68, 10 years older than me. Makes me want to say--OLD GUYS RULE

Attached Files:

2. You will have a blast. We will prob have a HAMBBQ again at our pits.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Early mourning at the start line. Great. Hope i can make it this year.

4. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I tune the bike for Wally, I will see you out there. JC

5. belair

belair

Who gets to ride in the sidecar?

6. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

You bring your own zip ties and I will strap you down belair! JC

7. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

J C --great, Wally said you will be there?

8. I thought that was the bike you tuned!?

Good to hear you are coming again!!

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

We plan to be at B'ville this year with a modified production 650 Triumph I built in my shop of horrors. It'll be ridden by a younger friend who is laying down the money for the build and trip.Trying for Speedweek,but might be the Finals....

[​IMG]

10. captmullette

captmullette

I love these Bonneville threads that are grass roots guys........

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you'll love it. didn't go last year as our ride flaked out at the last hour

12. OLLIN

OLLIN

shotgun! :D

13. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Cool bike, what is it? Id imagine a mish-mash of different parts from a variety of bikes.

Cool Triumph too BTW.

14. Buzznut

Buzznut

Man I want to go so bad...I've gone 5 times and haven't been since 2006.

15. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

The side car bike is a custom build with a 1352 cc Kawasaki. It runs in the 1650 cc class. I tuned on it last year on the salt for the first time. We where looking to break an existing record of 166 and change. Every run we make we improved, from a first run of about 154 mph to the last one of 164 and change. The air was just not there for the set up that was on it. Went back after some changes for the world finals last October and set the record at 174 and change (top speed was 176). With the stream line body and a few more tricks I'd like to see it got over 180, but the air sucks pretty bad on the salt in August, those speeds may not happen until the October meet. JC

16. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

OK--it's been almost two months from my post. The Clock is ticking. We leave in a month and a few. I have stepped up to be the body guy on this streamliner/sidecar.
    I am getting the fever.
    My buddy does not have the fever--He lives for the five days. I found this video, once again off topic, and it is almost bland after what I see this guy does all alone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMIiBYhuk08
    I grew up knowing how Roth built fiberglass bodies out of spitballs and plaster aparis.
    I watched one get built with foam and joint compound. And then I took over to smooth it. He doesn't want me posting pics until it gets thru tech.
    Have met another Hamber here that will be on the team. And have yet to meet the Austrailian that is also going to ride the bike.
    Evenings now and weekends are work--(I took the holiday off)
    Down time at work is spent surfing speedweek pics, starting to get my personal act together (we camp)
    REALLY GETTING THE FEVER

17. noboD

noboD

HEY, that was my job last year. I was walking by and he was struggleing so I helped push the bike closer to the line. Whoever I helped had just reprogramed the FI. He started talking Greek to me so I nodded my head like I understood. I hope to get back in 2014.

18. How can it be O/T ? It's Bonneville,,,:)

19. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Leaving Tuesday after work-----Man am I stoked. I am going to make the HAMB BBQ--when on Saturday?, luckily there is enough room in the truck to haul my bike to get around. Keep an eye out for a red-tailed-streamlined-sidecar

20. nmbuellist

nmbuellist

Wow----what a trip--missed the BBQ, we were in impound, had the record for only a day, but improved 35 MPH with the body--last run 209 and change--I will be back next year

Attached Files:

21. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I just got back home after eating 1854 miles of the I-80 east. Wayne, Wally and I had the thing really screaming when it went the 209. If we had a couple more days we would have had that record. JC