Register now to get rid of these ads!

Insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32kustom, Apr 16, 2013.

1. 32kustom

32kustom
    from Kalamazoo

What's the best classic auto insurance is out there?

2. jesse1980

jesse1980

There's a thread on this already.

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I use State Farm Classic car ins.... They have agreed value and stated value, and of course appraisal value

4. phat rat

phat rat

Are you sure about the agreed value? As recently as Dec I was told no they don't have it. That was from an agent who wanted to insure my cpe besides my other vehicles and told me they did. When I disagreed the agent then called corporate and was told no they don't offer agreed value

5. Grundy is good.

6. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

The one that pays out.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

8. jimstro16

jimstro16

What about Hagerty?

They quoted me $200 for a full year to cover a car up to $8,000. No real experience with them, mines not done yet. Just a thought to check out

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I pay far less than that with Grundy for a $10,000 agreed value policy for my wagon. Check them out.;)

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, did you miss the search button here? this subject has been covered many times.

11. phat rat

phat rat

$351 a year with Grundy for $51,000 coverage. They automatically up the coverage every year for inflation.

12. no55mad

no55mad

Had Grundy but they never sent a renewal - something is going on with them. Have heard all kinds of rumors.
    As mentioned above, insurance has been a repeat topic here. One of the posts recommended 'Chrome'. Never heard of them before then saw their ad in 'Streetrodder' mag. Google them, they have agents all over. Have been working with a local agent and all is going well.

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Call Hagerty, it will much less. I'm paying that for a car with much more agreed value.

14. phat rat

phat rat

Ummmmm That's who he called

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have Grundy although my most recent contact with them was less than a "warm-fuzzy". Like their prices and have not heard any bad reviews regarding settlements. A friend who hit a deer had Hagerty and his experience was a very good one. Check for agreed amount in less than two weeks.

16. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I just switched to Grundy from Hagerty. Grundy is now offering Daily driver insurance for those that insure there antique cars with them. I'm getting insurance for my 2 antique cars and liability on my daily driver for less than what I was paying for liability on my DD with my regular carrier. I hope I haven't made a mistake changing.

17. toolman023

toolman023

I have Hagerty for 3 of my old ones, 2 valued at 8000 and one for 5000..full coverage with towing and full glass.....284 a year!

18. I've had Grundy's ever since I've had my car. Satisfied I guess but I've never had a claim either...

19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Have 3 cars insured with Hagerty had the misfortune of having 2 claims on 2 different cars in one year. Very easy to deal with both times and have used their roadside assistance and it too was trouble and hassle free! You never know how good your insurance is until you NEED to make a claim! Just renewed yesterday with no increase. I'm impressed!

20. no55mad

no55mad

21. Will350z

Will350z

Couldn't agree more with Hagerty, so far they've been nothing but great for me!

22. 49_Caddy

49_Caddy
    1. GMB

I used collector car insurance through the National Corvette Museum - www.ncminsurance.com

My policy for my Cadillac ($8000 agreed value) is $136/year, compared to the $188 I was quoted by Hagerty.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Positive !

I had an accident in Fla, and State Farm couldn't have been more helpful. My House was hit by a Tornado. In the middle of the night. $60 plus thousand in damage. Red cross set up in my neighborhood. My agent, and a boom truck was at my house with 4 tree trucks at 7am with coffee and doughnuts. People wondered who I knew.

I don't think I will ever switch from the Matt Coyne ins agent at State Farm... He has always been there for me.

24. Dr.HairyOlds

Dr.HairyOlds
    from CNY

I have Hagerty and have had 2 major claims with them. They have agreed value and pay it. However, be aware that if you have a total loss, you will need to pay to keep your car. Not surprising but the way they do it is to hold a sort of auction for your vehicle as is. If you choose to keep the car, you get your agreed value, minus the highest bid on your vehicle. So keep this in mind when picking an agreed value.

I had the unfortunate circumstance of needing medical payments as well. They farm this portion out and I had a terrible time with them.

25. phat rat

phat rat

A repairable accident is handled differently than a total loss. I hit a deer with my cpe back in 02 when I still had it insured with State Farm. The stated value at the time was $25,000 which cost me more than the $40,000 agreed value I started with at Grundy. Anyway the repair cost for the deer damage was $15,000 State Farm paid off great. But if they had totaled it they would have been depreciating the $25,000 because of the stated value coverage. For the record we have 3 DD's plus our home and some life insurance still with State Farm. I just won't insure the cpe under stated value. Another nice thing about Grundy is that the premium is for a year of driving. The policy that was costing more with State Farm was 6 months driving and 6 months storage

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

This is EXACTLY what I did a couple of months ago....put both my classic cars AND my daily driver on one policy with Grundy and saved myself over $1,000 per year in premiums! I was SHOCKED. I'm THRILLED with Grundy's pricing.

27. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I'm sure that I'm an oddball with my situation, but my wife and I have a car and a classic and I'm screwed when it comes to classic insurance. If we don't have 3 cars, we're not getting those classic rates, no way.

Considering I don't drive this classic car anymore than I would our previous second car, around 2500 miles a year, and I don't schlep myself cross country for shows or anything, I call chickensh*t. But, the Golden Rule prevails and I'm paying $400/year for a car I won't drive much more than 4 times a month most months of the year.

28. phat rat

phat rat

Am I understanding correctly that you've been told you have to insure 3 cars to get classic rates? I haven't heard that one, it certainly isn't true with Grundy. Also what many don't know is that, Grundy at least, charges one rate per $1,000 of coverage for under a certain amount and a lesser amount per $1,000 above that level. A friend found that out when he went to insure his second rod for much less than the first and the premium quoted was considerably more. When he asked why he was told that they use 2 different underwriters. One for low end another for high end

29. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I have Hagerty on both of my hotrods or classics or whatever you want to call them. When I bought my pickup 2 plus years ago, on the way home had an unforunate fire. Hagerty totaled it, I bought it back (truck never left my posession) for $1100. They said they put it up for auction, I don't believe they did as the ownership never transfered to them, therefore they can't auction what they don't own..... They paid the stated value $16000 plus the 300. tow bill. They never gave me a bit of trouble. The cars are insured for year around driving. Never had any medical claims so I can't speak for that. Hagerty is my choice, totally happy with them!

30. Twobit

Twobit

OK, flame me!!

Hasn't about everything been discussed before?? If there can not be a new discussion on an old subject this website will dry up.

Do you really want that to happen?? I think not.

Regards, Twobit
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013