Register now to get rid of these ads!

53-56 f-100,s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aircoup, Apr 16, 2013.

1. aircoup

aircoup

any 53-56 f-100 home builders out there ?, did any of you add a power booster under the floor , did you have to relocate the opening ?mine will be under the seat ?:confused:

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

there was a power bracket in the for sale section,just about every one i see has em on the fire wall or mounted under seems eveery catalog i get has a frame mount,I haven't started the brake work on mine...

3. eberhama

eberhama

My first 56, I put it under the floor. The fill would have ended up about half way into the floor brace. Rather than try to find a way to poke a hole in the floor and try to aim some brake fluid under the seat, through the hole, and into the master, I just slid under the truck and added it directly. Unless you make some kind of large access door, you'll have to climb under there to get the master lid off anyway. It was a PIA, and on my second one, I put it on the firewall, using the CPP kit.

4. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I have a manual mc under the floor on my 53, so the hole works fine [so do the disc/drum brakes]. If I should ever want power boosted I will go to firewall mount. Although I hate firewall mounted on an earlier car/truck, there is plenty of room on these trucks to clear VC's, etc. Plus they look fine done neatly. IMO.

5. Mark

Mark
    from CT

56 F100, used a power booter out of a full size ford(cant remeber the model exactly)..master cylinder from a 96 mustang. under the floor, uses stock truck pedal. fabricated a mount. cut a small hole in floor to stick a funnel thru to fill the master.

Ill try and dig up a picture.

6. rfraze

rfraze

I can only remember seeing this once, but Troy Trepanier sunk the booster in to the firewall to the seam, which left a smooth curved transition out to the master cylinder. Can't remember which car it was, but it was a pretty slick way to solve one firewall-mounted issue. You would have to study what he did or solve the clearance/ firewall seal issues to suit your tastes.
    Another option is angle mount under dash. I have heard discussion about some unusual problems possibly caused by brake fluid in a closed space.

7. jclars

jclars
    from Lynden, WA

I just powered up the CPP frame mount kit. Must say it fit like a glove without a hitch. A couple of after effects however, like mentioned. But it came with a squeeze bottle and gooseneck fill tube. Not sure how I will check fluid levels, but there you go!

Also, the stock brake pedal may need to be bent to locate closer to center if you go with different steering column, gas pedal, etc.

And I had to custom fab a tranny support to straddle the MC as my rear tranny support ended up fighting for the same frame space. You can see in the pic the tranny is sort of floating in mid air, not knowing what is going to support it.

John L.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  8. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Ditto on what Jclars said.......

I went with cpp and it fit well, but does require a custom transmission mount.........

9. O/T builds but he has done this on many cars. He used modern smaller brake boosters too.The '56 Chrysler 300B and the '39 Chevrolet are a couple he has done this to.

Attached Files:

10. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

[​IMG]

There is a pic of mine, I am going to relocate a reservoir behind the seat somewhere and run a braided hose to it....

11. willymakeit

willymakeit

I haven't done it but I may put a access door big enough to allow access. Everything I've read about the remote reservoirs has been negative. I would like to hear of some good results and what was used.

12. aircoup

aircoup

wow cool guys mine is already mounted under there , just looking for ideas on keepin it full,, not too sure about remote resoviors either,,