Register now to get rid of these ads!

lock washers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Twobit, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Twobit

Twobit

Something I have wondered about for some time.

If you put a flat washer under the lock washer and nut does the lock washer work like it is designed to?? The flat washer is free to turn; not locked.

Regards, Twobit
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. belair

belair

and if a tree falls in the forest...
    I would say yes, it still works-the lock washer is still putting tension on the nut, and it is very doubtful the flat washer will be free to turn.

3. It does not matter!

4. Still works fine.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Loctite is about 10 times more effective, just a drop of blue

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

You got me wondering. Split lock washers turn smoothly when you tighten them. But they are designed to dig in when they are backed off. So when backing them off does it cause wear and you shouldn't re-use the lock washer?

7. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Using a flat washer between the lock washer and the surface of the clamped part will work, in fact it is recommended as the flat washer will disperse the load and prevent the surafce from being marred by the lock washer and possibly creating a stress fracture, dedpending on the material. If the componants are critical try not to reuse the hardware as the mechanical locking forces are reduced. Although not period correct the nylock nuts are preferable. The rule of thumb is mechanical locking on a nut and bolt, safety wire on a blind fastener and chmical as a last resort (loctite)

8. merking56

merking56
    from NJ

Well put!

9. the spring tension of the lockwasher is what keeps the nut from backing off, in my trade we use conical spring washers for transformer and power distribution terminations. This looks like a flat washer that is "cupped", this applies the necessary force if not over torqued.

10. ImageUploadedByTJJ1366206352.578120.jpg
    And Coastfab.com
    Have a lot of info too

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never reuse a lock washer and I only buy & use grade 8 lockwashers, regardless of the application. I've found the grade 8 lock washers hold their shape or "springiness" better.

12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Just do a Google search. The standard, one surface "lock washer" isn't very effective at locking fasteners from vibration induced loosening.
    Star washers are good, Loctite, safety wire are about as good as you can get.

I try to stay away from the "one surface" type lock washers. My cars, I use star lock washers, Loctite and safety wire. My motorcycles, I use...the same.

Mike

13. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

The bible, written by a god

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I will never use the standard split spring type lock washers on anything. Period.

I'll use locking nuts, nylock or otherwise, or loctite.

I have seen far too many of the split spring lock washers that break and then the pieces fall out leaving the fastener loose and on it's own.

For the most part that style of lockwasher is junk.

15. noboD

noboD

And don't forget to use left handed lock washers for left handed threads. They can be bought!

16. derbydad276

derbydad276

the SAE did a study a few years back and found that lock washers are not worth the time
    nylock nuts or stover nuts or locktite are the way to go

17. Partsman2012

Partsman2012

If you have a real problem fastener, you might try Nord Lock washers from McMaster Carr.

18. If it's tight that flat washer is not going to move. HRP

19. I work as a millwright for US steel, they will not let us use split lock washers. They say that they break and fall out, leaving the bolt loose. I've seen it many times.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have NEVER seen or even heard of a lock washer backing off. In fact, I have them on my pitman arm and steering arm and other parts of my car. They haven't even changed position in the last 4 years. Use them in combination with a flat washer and forget about them.

Not using them is as crazy as using grade 8 fastners in EVERY application. Over kill at it's finest.

I know the HAMB is slow during working hours, but really. Lock washers?

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus