Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question about "bigs and littles"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by essexrat, Apr 16, 2013.

1. essexrat

essexrat

So I'm doing some thinking for my next project, and was wondering about what size tires to run...I have a set of five H78-15 wide whites with about a 3 1/2" white wall with less than 500 miles on them (spare is actually still wrapped in paper) that I stole for $200, and a buddy has a set of G78-15's with the wide white. My question is, would that combination be considered as "big and littles"...he also has a set of G78-14's...which do you guys think would look better? BTW, the new project is going to be a 38 Fargo bobber. Thanx in advance

2. essexrat

essexrat

Is this a stupid question or something? No comments....I'm no expert in the catagory to say the least...some schooling would be appreciated.:confused:

3. Certainly wouldn't consider those big and littles. HRP

4. That's a small stagger
    But doesn't cross over to the territory of BIG or little
    So I don't consider that a big & little set

5. essexrat

essexrat

ok, so would the 14's look better? What would be considered big and littles? Please excuse my ignorance..

6. Minimal difference in the G 78-14 & G 78-15 ,,height difference is 27.1 verses 27.68,,there is no visual difference. HRP

7. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That really doesn't qualify as 'bigs and littles' IMO.

H78-15s aren't substantially larger than G78-15s... or even G78-14s for that matter.

When someone talks about B&Ls, they are talking about tire sizes that give a hot rod rake to a car, also known as a 'rubber rake' where the rear tires are much wider and taller than the fronts.

I don't have specifics to add in your case, but you always know it when you see it. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. I think once you have an inch in rim width and and about 1" in sidewall height difference you are at the door of a big and little combo.

30x10 rear and 27 x 6 fronts gets you big and littles

28x8 rear and 26x5 fronts gets you big & littles

27x6 rears and 26x5 fronts gets you close to B&L but only close.

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I am in no position to comment because I don't even know what a 38 Fargo bobber is ?<!-- / message -->

10. classic gary

classic gary

if you like 'em use 'em, or are you just trying to put a name to it?

11. Big & little,,,HRP

[​IMG]

12. Ditto

13. The short answer, as others have mentioned, is "No." The big and little combo involves being able to look at a side profile of the car/truck from at least 15 feet away, and tell that the tires are different sizes.

Not a stupid question, but posting at 2:22am in the morning when most of us are asleep won't generate too many responses. By the time people are awake to respond, you've already been bumped off the main page.

Agreed...

14. essexrat

essexrat

Ok, first of all....Thanx for the comments, I'll probably stick with the H78-15's that I have at all 4 corners for now, second of all, I didn't realize that I posted this so late...slight time difference at my end, and thirdly, what I meant by a 38 Fargo bobber, was that I'm building my 1938 Fargo truck as an open fendered rod with a shortened box...don't know where I came up with bobber? sorry for the confusion.