Register now to get rid of these ads!

The resurrection of Rusty, the '59 Sport Fury convertible

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big M, Feb 21, 2013.

1. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Looks like a 59 to me. Good luck on your project. You wont see 20 of them at every show.

2. Squablow

Squablow

Go man, go! Keep posting pics, I like these detailed shots, will be good reference for me later, and it's just plain inspiring.

3. metaldave -

Yes, it's a '59 ... big M cleared that up in post #7 ... but never bothered to have his thread title fixed.

4. big M

big M

Not sure how to edit the title, or is that something a mod has to do?

I'd like to correct it, but am unsure how to proceed.
    Thanks for any assistance!

---John

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Title Edited.

Thanks for posting this build thread.

Its an awesome project.

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

Incredible effort and awesome project. Subscribed

7. big M

big M

Thanks!!

---John

8. big M

big M

I drilled the holes for the rocker molding clips in the new rocker panels after measuring them on another car, then I drilled he drain holes in the bottom of the rockers. These were swaged at the front to help draw dust and dirt out while going down the road.
    I made a tool for use with a slide hammer to replicate the factory swages.

---John

Attached Files:

9. big M

big M

'57-'59 Mopar convertibles all use a special body mount beneath the seat reinforcement, that replaces the outriggers used on closed cars. I made measurements from a factory mount on my unrestored '59 Desoto convertible, and proceeded to make them.
    These are 14 gauge, and have a threaded fixture for mounting to the body.
    After removing the outriggers, I installed the new mounts and welded them on.

---John

Attached Files:

10. big M

big M

When the right quarter panel was hit, it had buckled the seam on the rear deck, allowing rust to form beneath the solder on the seam, I melted the old solder out, repaired the metal beneath, and paddled new lead back in place. While I had the torch out, I tidied up a few more spots, and leaded the lower quarter. It needed very little.

---John

Attached Files:

11. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I wish I had 1/10th of your dedication and determination!

12. 66slabside

66slabside

13. big M

big M

I had saved the original quarter panel skins, as the quarters on the car were from a lower trim line Fury. I was hoping the lower trim holes would be the same, but unfortunately they were not. I measured out all the holes, and placed an aluminum insert up against the body, and secured it in position with tape. The position of the holes was then marked, and a 1/8" pilot hole was drilled for each one. The driver's side was then done the same way.

---John

Attached Files:

14. big M

big M

Next was too weld up the trim holes that would not be used. The welds were then ground down and smoothed on both the outside and inside of the panels.

The placement for the medallions mounting was tricky, as the mounting pins were offset on each.

---John

Attached Files:

15. Incredible journey John, thank you for sharing!

16. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

It's coming along so nicely. Build threads like this are inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to share it with all of us.

17. dart165

dart165

Wow.... Just... wow.

18. Hell Yes subscribed! I love me some MoPar's, especially finned drop tops! You are a brave soul for working with what ya had but dam is it coming along and will be one sweet ass ride!
    I have a 50 Wayfarer Sportabout that is my next project and plan a full resto with a 331 Hemi topped with a 4x2 & 727 auto for power as soon as the 50 Coupe is finished this summer.

19. rld14

rld14

Absolutely astonishing work. Astonishing.

20. Fantastic work! Thanks for posting it.

21. subsribed. Awesome build, thanks for sharing.

22. Really incredible. I take it you´re a bodywork guy? You can´t be an amateur with these skills surely?

23. big M

big M

I have training in automotive mechanical restoration and repair, but body and metalwork has been a hobby of mine for many years. I actually find it relaxing, if that makes any sense. I have never worked in a commercial body shop in my life.

---John

24. 66slabside

66slabside

It always amazes me when someone looks at a car in that kind of shape and says to themselves "that is salvageable, I'm going to build a car out of that."
    Your determination, skills and drive truly do inspire me. i don't think there's one part of my car that has rust on it like that. Every time I question myself and my abilities to fulfill my dream on my car I think of guys like you that are truly restoring a car and think to myself, "I have to expand my comfort zone and just go for it."
    Thanks for sharing and inspiring us rookie car lovers.

25. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering why you didnt clean up the innner quarters before welding in the tub
    and was blown away when you just busted out the giant bin and just dipped the whole body.

Fantastic, job!

Looking forward to seeing the rest.

26. Great save! I've done bodywork all my life. Now that I'm no longer depending on it for a living it actually is fun and relaxing!
    Good work!

27. Whew, talk about never say die - great work and you have the patience of a saint!

28. big M

big M

I dug out the old convertible top lift cylinders, as they still had the floor mounts attached. Pretty badly deteriorated, but I could not find any suitable substitute. Heat had to be used to take them apart, pretty much was a blob of rust!
    I heated the two mounts cherry red, and applied brass to fill the major pits, and build them back up.
    After letting them cool, the excess was removed, and smoothed out. These will work fine now.

---John

Attached Files:

29. big M

big M

There was enough left of the one lower support bracket that I was able to find a replacement- The corner dash braces on a '60 Thunderbird were the correct gauge and configuration, although they would need to be shortened.

Next, I found some half-moon captive nuts similar to the original, and tacked them in place in the correct spots on the brackets, and welded them on the underside of the body. These function to support the pressure from the top lift cylinders, as the inner two bolts are supported by the inner rocker panels.

Attached Files:

30. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

while i was working in Upperlake, I visited your yard a couple of times, looking for 53 ford stuff, you were working on a white Buick, 58 I think. would have loved to come around when you were working on this one....Some talents people are just born with...