Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51 Plymouth Cranbrook Student build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonneville High School, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Time for a progress report,,I'm happy to see it still alive. HRP

2. Its great to see a Plymouth Cranbrook get some love! Sadly a lot of people dont see the potential in them, its nice to see that change. Keep up the great work.

3. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

sorry to the delay, try to get the project to the summer resting point, I have a few students said they come by during the summer, we will see, my plans is just get the body off frame and finish welding the rear door into place

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  4. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

here the door with the 6" cut out and being welding in

Attached Files:

5. farmer12

farmer12

Great to see you're continuing. Are the kids showing any signs of interest? Hope they are. Keep up the good work!

6. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

here is a little more work on the left rear qtr.

Attached Files:

7. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

it is a lot of fun teaching the teens how to weld and how to fix what the mess up....

8. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

So a little more done: other door welding on, building the front doors by adding 8" to the door. just about to the point of summer vacation, I have a few student said they would come in during the summer to work on the car... planning to take it to a few car shows this summer to show the work the shop does and try to draw up some local support for the automotive program here at Bonneville High School.

Thank you for all of you support...

Adam

Attached Files:

9. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Back to school today, new batch of kids, new batch of car nuts… be back at the project soon…

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. 5 months have come and gone since the last update,,is the top finished,,is the engine back together? HRP

11. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Wow, so sorry for the lack of updates... been teaching the students how to use lead, and welding... I will have a more posted as soon classes started up after break.

12. Another school year has come and gone and no updates? :confused::confused: HRP

13. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Yes another school year has rolled by, this year has been a great roller-coaster of surprises, got to take students out state for automotive competitions, start a new robots battling club, host the regional SKILLS-USA competition (formally known as VICA), and addition an over welling amount of students passing the ASE examination. Yes it has been a great year. here are some photo of what the students have done this year.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thats lookin good, A big thumbs up to all involved.
    The trunk idea is diffrent,that gonna be a rumble seat? or....it doesnt really matter it looks cool reguardless

15. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Furthermore the engine is waiting to be rebuilt, mostly I am waiting to find a way to bolt up an automatic transmission to the flat head six and locating a new drivetrain system… all of which I only have $103.78 dollars left from what was donated to this project. I am hoping to drag the car to a few local car shows to gather some financial support for this project. As well as, showing off what the students are doing.

16. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Yes it is a rumble seat the student want to put a rumble seat in the lead sled, so we are rebuilding the trunk to have better foot room and relocating the gas tank to accommodate the this new need for leg room.

17. What's going on with this project,it's been more than a year since the last update?

I really do want to see the kids stick with the project....and finish it. HRP

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  18. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

So Sorry for letting this page die. we are back. Last school year my students where wining varies events which kept me busy. this year I have open up my shop to have more time, so that student can help with this project during class time and not just after school as before.

We have run into a few set backs. biggest one is a power train. been looking for some old RV to pull an 454 with tranny. but no luck. so if your in the Utah area and know of a old RV that needs to go, let me know so that my students can rebuild that. (side note: we still have the inline 6 and tranny, it has been a nightmare to find an auto-tranny to bolt up.

further more the school has redone the shop for the students. The shop look like a dealership now...they have not finish the classroom yet. but this place is looking great!! 20150911_080844.jpg 20150911_080826.jpg 20150911_080751.jpg 20150911_080719.jpg 20150911_080702.jpg

low budget likes this.
  19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Shop looks great! I say get the body work done and a engine will come along, After you see it together,You may even be inspired enough to settle for the lowly small block chevy, just to get it goin of course:D
    (SBC is my engine of choice,why fight perfection):)

20. Stick with Mopar in a Mopar. Don't fall into that nonsense about "A SBC is cheaper, blahblahblah...!" You take that Plymouth to a show with a SBC, people will walk on by and ignore that uninspired choice of powerplant. Find a wrecked metric Charger and go with a 6.1 or 5.7L HEMI instead!

21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Should be able to whip that rite up:confused:,Get all the wiring, the computers, gauges and sensors, fuel supply etc.etc.etc.:)
    It wouldnt be a traditional ride then, but I will agree, that could be more interesting if done nicely or you could just leave the hood closed on the chevy and burn rubber as you drive by :D

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  22. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

I would love to put in a 5.7 Hemi, anyone got one to donate to a school? I can trade the engine for a write off .

23. Yet another school year has come and gone,any updates? HRP

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  24. This thread was started on November 12,2012,have any of the original graduating students been back to check out the progress?

It's been 10 months with no updates,I do hope the project hasn't completely stall and is relegated to gathering dust.HRP

25. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Sorry for the long time. It has been years. We sold the car to a hot rod build in Mountain Green Utah.

26. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

The next project.... a Ford Speedster built with a old 63 144 donated to the school in 1965. or any other ideas?