Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs The Kustomrama Survivor - Old Barris Kustom Found in Sweden

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SuperFleye, Oct 31, 2009.

1. 'Mo

'Mo

So, how do things now stand?
    I really love this car. Spill the details!

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

It's parked for the winter 'Mooo....plans for the winter includes a new electrical system...will be back with an update soon...too busy writing about other people cars...but I'll be back with an update soon :)

3. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

That's COOL !!!!!!

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Thanks, Sondre. Keep it up! I'm spending a lot of time on your site (Kustomrama).
    Thanks for the amazing work on your incredible site! :cool:

mo

5. Lucky444

Lucky444

What is this "winter" that you speak of? It's still sunny here in Honolulu! Sorry man, just kidding. The new 235 looks killer and glad it was able to motor you around this summer.

Always look forward to updates on your Chevy. Such a cool car.

Aloha,

Jason

6. The past few days, I've been searching after info on the car, and finally I made a breakthrough!! I called the guy who pulled it out of storage in 2003, and he could fill me in on a lot of the missing details! He bought all the cars that was on the estate after Tom, there were about 10-11 other cars sitting with the Carroll Chevy. Tom blew the engine in the car, and he was planning on installing a 1956 Olds Rocket in it. He bought the engine brand new from the Adler & Olds dealership in Culver City in 1958. The receipt for the engine was still at his estate. Well, there's so much to write, so you can read the whole story here: http://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Tom_Carroll's_1949_Chevrolet

7. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Amazing!! Way to go little brother!! You solved the mystery :)
    Now, let's try to get some more info and photos on Tom and his cars..would love to know what club plaque he ran from the rear bumper :)

8. We sure do!! Looking forward to what we might find! :D

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. rusthaug

rusthaug

Cool story, thanks for sharing..I realy dig that car :)

10. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

My 1949 Fleetline has a dark brown dash from the factory but the car is and always was paint code 387 Monaco Blue. If you still have the original ID tag on the firewall you can find out what color the car was originally. That dark brown paint may be the factory dash color. You can check the exterior color codes here.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/paint4954.htm

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Interesting story about the '54 Pontiac 'Cutwater' grille. In September 1953, a friend of mine (Bob Alexander) was in high school, working for his Dad's body shop in Norwalk (L.A. area, CA.) after school and Saturdays.
    Bob was at the Pontiac dealer to pick up some collision parts for a customer job, when he spotted a new Pontiac Cutwater grille standing in the corner. He asked the parts mgr about it, who explained it was special order for a new car that had a mishap on the train, in transit.
    Bob's Dad was a special customer, so he was able to buy this new grille before it was available!
    Bob and his Dad installed the new grille on Saturday, and it was the FIRST '54 Pontiac grille to be installed in a '50 Ford...(or anywhere other than a new Pontiac!)

My favorite 'Kustom' grille...'54 Pontiac Cutwater (with or without the inner gridwork)

12. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

All shocked up with the Kustomrama Dream Truck Build the last one and a half year I have forgotten to update this thread!! A lot has happened since April of 2013, and I can't wait to share it with all of you! Before we jump back a couple of years, I will share an incredible mail that popped into my inbox two days ago. As I was having a blast at the Coupe Devils Bonanza Show with my club brothers, I didn't find the email until this morning:

"My Name is Edithann De Lano. In the 1950' Edie De Lano. I remember Tom's 1949 black Chevy. Seeing him driving it around and then when he went into the service (I think the Navy) It was put up on block's in the garage.

I lived in Mar Vista, Ca But went to St. Augustine Catholic grammar school in Culver City. I went to Notre Dame Academy girls High School, In West Los Angeles Ca. Class of 1957. Getting out of school at 3:00 pm the parking lot some time's looked like a custom car show.You had your pick....cars and guy's. I was dating a guy that lived on Fairbanks Way and Dobson Way, Dick Jones. Dick's car 1947 ford coupe with chopped window.

Tom lived Fairbanks Way. If I remember right, Tom had a younger brother, with red hair. My brother Andy De Lano hung out with him. At this time Culver City had a lot of guys with custom cars. Car clubs were very in! The guy's lived and worked to get and have there cars. Car show's at the Pan Pacific Auditorium, Car's, Guy's, Girl's.

Just a small memory, from my past.

Thanks for letting me share. EA
    "

Holy smoke!!! How cool ain't this?? Again it feels like I have hit the JACKPOT :)

Below is a photo of the Tom Carroll Chevrolet from the Coupe Devils Bonanza Show this weekend. It's parked next to Lee A Jagla's 1923 Ford Model T, an old Hayward late 1950s survivor hot rod that found it's way to Norway last year! More info about this one can be found here: http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Lee_A._Jagla's_1923_Ford

[​IMG]

13. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Amazing, Sondre! Thanks for sharing.

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

It sure is :) But wait, ther's soon more ;)