Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disc recommendations for angle grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dunstan, Apr 12, 2013.

1. I've used a 4 1/2" disc grinder virtually every day for many, many years. I have one set up with a Walter cut off wheel. They are excellent, last a long time and don't explode or turn to dust like cheap wheels. I have another set up with a 36 grit sanding pad with rubber (or plastic) back up. I use this all the time for cleaning up rust, paint, scale etc, removing sharp edges, cleaning up welds etc. Those are really all I ever use. I do have another set up with a hard grinding wheel that I use for knocking down higher stuff left over from cutting off brackets etc but always finish cleaning up with the 36 grit. That works fine for most general fabrication. For a cleaner finish you can go to 50 grit sanding pads then Scotchbrite pads.
    Flapper wheels have their uses but I don't like their narrow contact patch. They do last pretty good. When using sanding pads and they start to stop cutting, cut about 1/8" off the outside and it will cut good again for a while. When using sanding pads keep replacing them so you don't use dull ones for very long, makes a huge difference.

2. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I was cutting some steel last year and the grinder bound up just enough for it to kick back at me hitting my left hand, luckily I was wearing a pair of thick welding gloves. The cut off wheel ate all the way thru the glove not my hand. I would of been in a world of hurt if not wearing those welding gloves. I now only wear my welding gloves when using my grinder as a cut off tool.

3. bct

bct

I like the ones that come with the grinder! Makita makes a disc that lasts me 10x as long as a budget style.i'm not sure where to get them retail?

4. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Removing the guards opens him up for a huge lawsuit. Where I work, employees are fired for using a grinder without the guard or not wearing the proper protection which includes leather gloves, safety glasses and a full face shield.

I like the Norton Gemini grinding and cut off discs with the built in arbor, Norton Blaze flap wheels, and Gemini cups for heavy duty grinding.

When cutting welded on brackets like those on the frame rails, score the weld deeply first, then cut from the ends leaving a little in the middle then cut the other side. It helps eliminate binding. When cutting sheet metal, I like to rest the guard on the metal and pull the grinder toward me with the wheel turning towards me on the metal and just deep enough to cut through.

5. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 to every word of this.

Technique plays a huge role in the life of a cutoff disc, and the safety of the user. Clamp the workpiece securely. Don't attempt to cut a curved line. I hold the body of the grinder with my left hand and the head above the disc with my right, support right near the disc works best. If you're cutting thin sheet metal, make sure the piece is not going to spring and pinch the disc at the end of the cut. Whenever possible, start from an edge, not in the middle of a panel. Keep the cutting edge of the disc as close to 90 degrees to the metal as possible. You'll generate a lot less heat than just penetrating the surface.

Personally I like Walter zip cut wheels for cutting, and Norton flat discs for sanding. It's almost impossible to get something flat with a flap wheel. A 3/16" or 1/4" thick hard disc is good for knocking down lumpy welds or leftover bits of bracket.

As others have said, ALWAYS use eye, face, hand, breathing and hearing protection. IMO, cheap abrasives are a dangerous crapshoot.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to mention a healthy fine if the OSHA clipboard people spot it on a walk through.

I second the safety gear. You just flat don't use one of those things without proper eye protection.

On the cut off disks. I'd suggest NOT going with the real thin ones when you start out and don't use them at all if you can do without them. I used to buy upwards of 200 cut disks a week for use in the processing plant I did the maintenance departments purchasing in a few years ago and we finally quit buying the thin disks because so many exploded when they were being used. This was with the mechanics primarily cutting stainless The problem is that they won't handle any binding up or mishandling when the angle grinder is laid down.

7. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr48Chev makes another good safety point. Always set a grinder down on its back, never resting on the edge of whatever disc is on it. Damage to a disc that's been caused by setting the grinder on it may not be apparent until the next time it's spun at 10,000 rpm.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know this. I have told him this. If OSHA comes, I'll be out of a job.

9. Yep...

10. dunstan

dunstan

Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it (especially the safety stuff). New protective gear is on its way to me now, and I'll have a hunt around for some of the discs you've mentioned.

11. Metabos from Fastenal are the best I have found.

12. MERRELL

MERRELL

13. MERRELL

MERRELL

X2! These cutoff wheels kickass,they last twice as long as any other cutoff I've used and I haven't had one explode yet,their flap discs and wire wheels are good too.. I would recommend Diablo cutoff wheels and sawzall blades also.

14. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I read somewhere that some guys prefer a 7" disc sander, it makes a flatter job when grinding.

Ago