Register now to get rid of these ads!

327 and votec heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Apr 15, 2013.

1. belair

belair

I have a good 327 that needs a set of heads. Will the vortecs be a good choice? Are the combustion chambers too big? If they are not a good choioce, what besides the camel hump heads are? I have a Creitz 3x2 set up, (probably looks better than it performs, might go with a 2x4), so a cam recommendation would be helpful too. Probably going in a 55 chevy that will be on the street alot.

2. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The vortec heads are a great choice for heads but probably won't work with the Creitz 3x2 manifold so use the camel hump heads and i'd go with something like an ISKY 270 MEGA cam if you want enough vacuume to work power brakes.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Probably need the vortec intake as well. Dart iron make good heads.

4. ninosdad

ninosdad

the Vortec head is designed to work with the injection system.

Dart heads in iron or aluminum a better choice with your manifold

5. Speed is correct on the intake. If you use the vortec heads you will need to use the vortec specific intake. If you are looking for good, inexpensive hp, they're great- you just need to match the intake and also keep in mind that without modification they won't work with a higher lift cam. I think about .480 lift is max, if you have the springs taken care of .550 lift (or more) will work.
    Let us know what you do- Greg

6. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

EQ ch350H heads are Vortec castings that accept The older intakes.

[​IMG]

For more information about EQ’s 350 Chevy 5.7L Vortec cylinder heads, including technical assistance, phone 800-426-8771, or visit www.eqcylinderheads.com.

7. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

The Vortecs can be drilled to match the old intake pattern. We use a BHJ fixture at our shop to do this. A machine should charge around $50-75 for doing this. I'd use a COMP XE268 and a set of 1.6 rockers, should be plenty rowdy.

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

There's also GM Vortec Bowtie heads that are drilled for both (old and new) style intakes.

Chevrolet Performance Small Block Chevy Cast Iron Small Port Bowtie Vortec Heads

<TABLE align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=200 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=center>[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Chevrolet Performance Small Block Chevy Cast Iron Small Port Bowtie Vortec Heads are the most powerful cast iron cylinder heads designed for street or racing applications in the 400-450 horsepower range. As an upgraded production head, they come with bigger valves, a thicker deck surface and a 66cc combustion chamber, which offer tremendous low-lift flow numbers. Bowtie Vortec Cylinder Heads offer you Fast Burn performance in an affordable cast iron head that is often used for short-track racing applications!
    Technical Notes:
    Cast iron small runner heads
    185cc intake port
    65cc exhaust port
    66cc combustion chamber
    0.450" deck thickness
    No heat risers
    Machined for 2.00"/1.55" valves
    Hardened exhaust valve seats
    0.530" max valve lift (without modifications)
    Drilled and tapped for screw-in studs (7/16-14)
    Dual bolt patterns for perimeter bolt and center bolt valve covers
    Dual bolt patterns for both Vortec and early model intake manifolds
    Vortec logo (intake port roof), GM logo (intake port floors) & Bowtie logo (exhaust side) are cast-in

9. chop32

chop32

I built a 350 with a set of RHS Pro Torker vortec heads. I chose these heads because they too had both vortec and standard intake bolt patterns and I wouldn't have to buy another intake.
    I tried 3 different standard flange intakes, but none of them worked. The roof of the intake ports in the heads were about 1/8" above the top of a intake flange so I ended up having to buy a vortec pattern intake after all.

10. slammed

slammed

Stock Vortec's will give 30HP over the old heads. They should handle up to .470 lift cams. An optional (mo' money!) heads will garner more lift, but cost low end if you bump that cam past .490-up. Another dual 4 will be better low/mid range (street) performer. Small 390's cfm will be ideal. Shop around, the buyers market for new castings should be under $500.

11. Deuces

Deuces

I like the factory camel hump heads....

12. these heads are drilled for VORTEC specific intakes period.

there were two two types: the cast manifold with a TBI unit and a Phenolic unit with a 'spider injector' which used the 'late' bolt pattern. look at the small pic and you'll see two bolt patterns. one which looks like a traditional SBC bolt pattern and another which only has bosses above the front and rear cooling ports.

the issue between a 'traditional' SBC head and the VORTEC head is the angle of the intake mating surface. a pre-96 manifold will not mate to a VORTEC head.

13. punisher7

punisher7

I am running a 1974 350 (40 over) block with Vortec heads, 1.6 roller tip rockers, 268 cam and a dual plane intake and a Holley 670. It is fun to drive and was relatively inexpensive. The intake was redrilled to fit the Vortec heads. I think it was $60 and they gave me shims that go between the bolts and the intake since the middle bolts go in at a different angle than the intake is at. It took less than 15 minutes and it was done while I waited.

14. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The pic I posted is not the new CH350H head, it has heat riser passages.

EQ Part #CH350G features &#8217;87-&#8217;95 intake bolt pattern with center bolt valve cover mounting holes. EQ Part #CH350H is available in the &#8217;69-&#8217;85 intake bolt pattern with perimeter valve cover mounting holes. Both heads feature 64cc combustion chambers, 176cc intake runners capable of excellent flow and velocity, standard 1.94 in. diameter intake valves and 1.50 in. exhaust valves. The intake port opening for the EQ CH350G/H is designed like the 69-85 intake ports to provide easier port and gasket matching.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  15. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

do what it takes to keep the three deuces ...