Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 Ford Model A- Is it nessecary to change rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noblebeidoun, Apr 15, 2013.

1. noblebeidoun

noblebeidoun
    from Michigan

Hey guys, weve been doing alot of thinking, and we are changing the engine and trans of our car, however the engine is going to be a 95HP 4 cylinder in front of a five speed trans. My question is, is it even necessary to change the rear end? we wanted better brakes but couldn't we just update the current because the power of the engine isnt exactly strong.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you can hook up the 5-speed to a MOdel A torque tube, sure, why not.

3. olskool34

olskool34

I would say you could keep the A rearend, and convert it to open drive. Just add some ford juice brakes or better yet some lincoln style bendix brakes. The A rear end should handle the power just fine.

4. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

Your rear end will last as long as you don't do a bunch of burn out's as for the bakes go to the archives they have all kinds of threads on brakes good luck...........jack

5. noblebeidoun

noblebeidoun
    from Michigan

yeah we wanted to keep it original. We will not be making her built for speed, but we wanted good brakes because this car will be driven as a daily driver.

So keep the original rear and beef her up ya think?

6. alchemy

alchemy

Are you an experienced fabricator?

Do you know how to hook your 5-speed to the torquetube? Somebody made an adapter for T-5's, but I think it's big bucks. And I think you still need to shorten the TT.

Or, if you want an open driveshaft, adding open drive to the original A rearend is a dumb idea. Lots of dollars and you still have a weak rearend. Better to do a '40 rear. But then you'll need to add new spring mounts. And what are you going to do with the wishbones?

If you are not an experienced fabricator, I'd suggest getting a Pete & Jakes catalog, and using their parts to install a later Ford 8-inch rearend.

7. My suggestion would be to go to fordbarn.com and ask what people are doing for rear ends when they go to overdrive transmissions that require an open drive. Maybe there are closed drive conversions for some of the late transmissions. Just don't mention you are changing the engine unless you want to get a debate started. For your info I am running a 4 cyl, 181 cubic inch Mercruiser marine engine in my '32 Ford which has internally the same rear end as yours. I adapted to a '39 transmission with a standard speed shop adapter and retained the closed drive. If I had it to do over again I would have put a high quality rebuild on the original engine, added a little speed equipment and drove it.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  8. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

My suggestion to you, after seeing some of your other posts, is to use the 8" rear you said you have and find some plain Jane steelies to use. 15" wheels from a 49-51 ford car are nice and narrow and the right bolt pattern for that 8". Then put some 15" inch wheels on front since I'm assuming you'll be upgrading the front brakes also.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yeah, be careful over at Fordbarn.com, some of those guys get heartburn real fast.

There is a company Auto Restorations in Muncie, 800-955-3139 that sells a kit for $895. There is another company Cling's in Tempe, Az I think has one too. Their # 480-777-1202. Hope this helps.

10. myke

myke
    from SoCal

He speaks the truth. I am pretty sure some one sells model a spring mounts that are weld on. You will prob have a hard time finding a narrow enough rear end if you switch. Even a 40 is a couple inches wider if I remember right.

11. olskool34

olskool34

There is no need to run a v-8 rear end with a 95 horsepower motor. Just treat it nice and it will do just fine. The conversion kit to make the A rearend an open drive is not that bad and adding brakes is fairly easy. Don't ruin it with a late model rear end as those are very visible from the rear if you are trying to stay traditional. I know the engine isn't but it is also under a hood.

12. noblebeidoun

noblebeidoun
    from Michigan

anyone know where i might find the adapter for the T5 to the torque tube?

13. motorcade 1

motorcade 1

Go to the April Banger Meet its all there.

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

^^^^what he said

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

16. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

If you go t5 don't forget Flat Ernie has all the info. on them . I'm going t5 juice brakes and my banger but that's my car. descisions ,descisions:rolleyes:

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

As the owner and builder of a Model A with a T-5, B engine with an original CRAGAR head, stock A reared with hydraulic brakes and an open drive shaft, I'm here to tell you that there's no problems. Here are some pictures of how we beefed up the stock rear wishbone and modified the cross member.

Attached Files:

18. Tom Pryor

Tom Pryor

THIS POST IS SPECIFICALLY FOR dennis 4X4. Could you post more pics on your Model A with a T-5, B engine with an original CRAGAR head, stock A reared. I liked your modification to the cross member. I picked up an additional crossmember for cheap and plan to modify it for my install. I'm using a mustang t-5 like yours shown in the April 26, 2013 post. I would appreciate more pics of the trans, driveshaft, banjo differential details, eh?