Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chicken Coop 32 Ford 3w "Coupe Day" story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Apr 14, 2013.

1. myke

myke
    from SoCal

This is the OG chicken coupe!

Great story thanks for sharing.

2. Thompson Speed Shop

Thompson Speed Shop

Wow Al! That is so awesome that you were able to make the trip and get all those guys together, I am just sorry I didn't make it. It is amazing what this iron does for us and what that old coupe has done for all involved. The car could not have gone to a better home. Thanks Al.

3. I passed you guys last week on I-40 in Knoxville, TN. I was in my '48 coupe.

Love that coupe!

JH

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. EliteS&C

EliteS&C

Such a great story! I wish we could all find out the history of our old cars! I bet there would be some amazing stories if these cars could talk!

5. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Saw this coupe for sale, great story!

6. 6deuce32yblock

6deuce32yblock

great story al, need to get over and see it in person.

7. lunchboxscuff

lunchboxscuff
    from Ojai,ca

8. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC02024.jpg DSC02025.jpg DSC02026.jpg DSC02027.jpg Harrison, thanks for sharing the picture. I'm glad you liked the coupe. The guys in my suburban were craning their necks to see YOUR coupe and its great patina!

Here's a few pics of the last guy that raced the car back in the day. He looks pretty happy, too.

I would have been even happier if he'd made me a deal on the 427 Ford engine he last raced in this coupe! I'm quite satisfied and grateful that he made me a great deal on the old Moon tank he once ran on this same car. Talk about historical parts!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  9. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC02021.jpg DSC02022.jpg RedStanley40cpe.jpg Here's the guy that traded the coupe to Red, LESS THE ENGINES, for Red's tudor 40 Ford. The coupe had a built flathead and the 40 had a 57 Pontiac. Red swapped the engines as part of the deal as I understand it.

Last pic is Red with his present 40 coupe with quick chev engine.

10. My shots from Charlotte 2011:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Really like the story on this, very nice car to have for sure!

12. Ed Wrath

Ed Wrath

Great story and good to see the car in safe hands. But I do agree with the above.....They don't do the car justice IMHO.

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC01802.jpg RodsIllusOct59Red.jpg So, some of you like the real magnesium wheels with matched vintage M&H tires better? I've still got them and here they are on the car when I got it.

But when I'm DRIVING the car, like I have been DRIVING the car, safety comes first. Matched vintage M&H tires are cool touring the fairgrounds but not so much at over 100 MPH.

Besides, remember that I took the car back to GA and here's what it nearly always looked like on the strip in GA; no matter who owned it. It always ran Moons so that's why I put steel wheels with much newer tires and Moon caps on the car for driving. The last pic shows the car with Moons in June of 1959 so I feel they are pretty historicallly correct.

I may use the matched vintage M&H tires on the real magnesium wheels for some fairground touring in York or elsewhere but changing tires to go back and forth to the B&B will likely get old quickly... my pit crew ain't too quick!

I could put new tires on the mags but I hate to mess up the current look of the mags and tires.

I still deciding whether to keep the mags for fairground cruising, put new tires on them, or just sell them and buy new vintage looking tires (front runners & pie crust rears) for my steel wheels. Decisions, decisions. I'll figure it out eventually.

I am glad you like the car and I agree the mags look cool. It is a ball to drive but I've got to be safe if I'm flying! I still have a "display" mode but I'm more into DRIVING than displaying.

Thanks for all the feedback. I believe the trip really was a great experience for all concerned.

14. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. Man oh Man what a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us AND all of those previous caretakers. Look forward to seeing the car at York. This story is what Hot-Rodding and the HAMB are all about.....Fabulous!.............................Don.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    Hamtown Al likes this.