Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did you find your car or did it find you ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Apr 14, 2013.

1. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

Well i sold a 51 merc ,because my wife lost her job,really hated to do that but then later on i built the coupe in my avatar and didnt think i would part with it but also thought I would never get another merc though just couldnt afford one,then a long time friend whom turned me on to my first merc started sending me pics of the 51 he had been gathering parts for for about 6 or 7 years and talking of selling it.So one thing lead to another and a deal was made and i got another 51 merc that im currently working on its cool though its sitting on an art morrison frame with full air ride real cool car and i guess you could say it found me.

2. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I found it...

I saw a 57 Dodge in a Phoenix junkyard and fell in love. Didnt have the money to buy it at the time the guy wanted $6K for a beat to death one. I came back a few months later with cash and it was gone. So I searched for years when I told my Dad one day I wanted a 57 Dodge, and he told me he saw one the other day. So I investigated, and after stalking the owner for weeks I finally got ahold of him and struck a deal, and about 6 years later Im still happy I made that deal. here it was 6 years ago where I bought it.
    [​IMG]

3. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

The HAMB brought my Henry J and I together. I had sold my '49 Chevy pickup and was just casually looking around at what was for sale and there it was. Close enough for me to go after and within reason for price. I've always liked them and wanted one.

Blue

4. 63comet

63comet

I kept passing the Comet for sale. Every day for a few months. It wore me down, lol.

Now I am seeking an OT Ford truck. Not too picky, just want a carbureted 300 I-6.

5. I was visiting a cousin at his farm he was renting and happened to walk by the shed and saw a headlite looking out at me...didnt know what it was attached to but she called me like the first time I saw the ex...there sat my merc- a 4dr, but it was love at first site...been spending about as much mony on her as I did on the ex, but I still have a happy ending with this story- and she's still waiting for me to return from afghan-land

6. Dr.HairyOlds

Dr.HairyOlds
    from CNY

They seem to find me. At 13, I tried to buy a friend of my dad&#8217;s 66 F250 for $1500. He wouldn&#8217;t sell it to me at the time because I had no garage. So a year later I tried again and he wanted triple the price. So I started looking for something on my own. Looked at a lot of junk, and some things that I wish I had bought but were not right for me at the time (the 1968 roadrunner drag shell w/ the motor apart in the basement for $6K. Real Hemi car!). Really wanted a mopar but even then, they were out of my budget.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Anyway, my dad found me OT 1967 Tempest with me at the Syracuse Nationals a dozen years ago. I was 15. Offered him about all I had at the time. Guy tried calling my dad to get him to give me more money for the car and he turned him down flat. Got it and won&#8217;t ever let it go.<o:p></o:p>
    Got itchy for something else when I was 17. Went to look at a 62 galaxy for $900. Turned out to be in the middle of a field, up to the rockers. I realized that it was way more than I could handle. But there was a 66 olds f-85 in the same field that just looked mean; black, awesome stance with centerlines. And it started right up. Turns out the 330 motor was rebuilt and hopped up. Took that home too. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Now for my only HAMB friendly car. I wasn&#8217;t looking for anything. A friend told me that his co-workers father had an old truck he wanted to get rid of. I got in touch with the father. Turned out to be a 1952 Chevy. He had it for about 20 years and never did anything with it. All the glass was busted, no motor, and no tranny. He said it was a 1-ton truck with a stake rack that he had disassembled. He made no mention of what he wanted for it and I would have to drive about 4 hrs each way to bring it home.<o:p></o:p>
    I was skepticial and told my buddy that with all that it needed and picking it up, it would need to be dirt cheap to be worth it. Apparently, he knew something and pushed me to keep at it. So I did and finally got a number: $600 obo! I offered him $500 and made plans to go pick it up.<o:p></o:p>
    When we got down there, I found that this guy had a second truck at one point that he had parted out and then scrapped. So we loaded it up all the spare parts we could in the both trucks and on the trailer. I got the vin tags and registrations from both trucks. When I paid him, the guy gave me $100 back!<o:p></o:p>
    The 330 motor from my cutlass got pulled when I built a 455 for it. So the 330 will be going into the truck at some point. Sold some of the extra parts and made $375 back.<o:p></o:p>

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

All three of mine found me while I was looking for something else. My daily (OT '69 Burb) popped up while I was actually looking for a much newer daily driver, and decided this fit the bill better.
    The '46 Austin I discovered while searching for a later Austin A40 to build a gasser. As soon as I saw it I knew it wasn't what I was looking for, but was exactly what I wanted!
    Wasn't even looking for another project when my neighbor came driving by the house with his '63 Falcon on a trailer, after losing storage in his buddy's barn for 20 yrs. Walked over to look at it, and a couple weeks later it was sitting at my place.

8. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

It found me , I had just sold the dodge and wasn't looking for a project . Kept seeing the 57 panel around a neighboring town . Decided I could use it and did some horse trading and drove it home.

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

My Catalina found me, it was listed incorrectly and was showing up under a different year, and for 3 weeks I kept seeing it and decided to go take a look. Bought it and brought it home. I liked it so much I sold a all original 69 ss 350 camaro I was chasing for 3 years and finally bought the month before.

10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the mid 70's I was looking for a 30's era Ford Coupe, somehow I stumbled on a 57 Chevrolet BelAire 2dr hardtop, 327, 300 horse, Hurst shifted 3 speed and optional "no brakes", wasn't in bad shape, paid $165 for it, here my memory gets foggy, I never touched the 57 but traded it for a 38 Chevrolet Coupe basket case, (body was delivered on a trailer, the frame was in the back of the tow vehicle-wish I had pictures), I still have it.

I passed on some really neat cars earlier, because of a lack of money, two 34 Fords, a coupe and 2 door sedan for $500, a 40 Ford with a Pontiac tri power and a 39 Lincoln Zephyr coupe. Later when I had the money I passed on a 396/425 horse 65 Vette, just one of many bad decisions in life:)

11. 29Coupe

29Coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Model A Coupe has been in my family since before I was born. So you could say we kinda found each other. LOL!

About 6 months ago, I was looking for a new daily driver. Mainly 1964-64 Ford Falcon. Searching for months with no luck. By mistake I searched the wrong year Falcon about a month ago, and a super clean '62 popped up. I bought it!

Since I was a kid, my "ultimate" Hot Rod was always a Model A roadster pick-up.
    About a year ago, this guy randomly stopped into my father-in-law's shop asking if he'd be interested in buying his RPU. My father-in-law quickly recommended him to me, and I bought it! The car most definitely found me.

12. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

Mine found me. Had been looking on CL and Ebay for a '53/'54 Chevy station wagon but didn't see much. Changed my search to "1952 wagon" and saw a '52 Chrysler on Ebay. Checked out the auction and found out it was just an hour from me in the same town where my ex wife grew up. I thought it was probably priced a little too high but sent an email to the owner letting them know I'd like to come take a look at it if it didn't sell on Ebay.

It didn't sell so we set up a time for me to come over. Got there and it was rougher than the description said it was. Took some pictures and talked with the owner a bit. It became apparent they were really looking to sell fast but I left without it.

Got an email later that night basically asking me to send them an offer. I offered them a price that I was about 90% sure they wouldn't accept and told them I knew it was worth more but that's what I'd feel comfortable with because of the condition. To my surprise, they accepted the offer. They even delivered it to me.

13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Wow! That's kool as hell. Thanks for sharing.

14. My '51 just spoke to me in its classified newspaper ad. I guess that dates it, "hot rod / custom" sections don't seem to exist in local newspapers classified ads any more. Any how it was a simple ad:"1951 Ford coupe, 392, T-400, 9", magnesium 5 spokes. ..." plus a price and a phone number to call. I don't have the ad any more, but that was its essence, very short and to the point.

I was just browsing the Sunday paper not really planning to get another car at the time. I was slowly building the car I am now actively building. I had never had a shoebox or a hemi car before, but this ad spoke to me.

My wife and I took a look and the next day we had a new car. The plan was to have a driver while I was building the 1929 cabriolet, and for the most part I kept to that plan. ...but as with most older cars they become bigger projects than planned as we get into correcting one thing or another. The coupe took possession of all building $$s available for about ten years, so progress on other cars halted, but now it really is a car that can be a daily driver, accepting its 4-6 mpg around town.

I am glad it found me.

15. wallyringo

wallyringo

I was searching hi and low for a solid 1955 Buick 2 door. Only found 4 doors locally. A 1955 Plymouth coupe showed up in my daily Craigslist search and I thought go check it out, same city I lived in. Never seen one at the car shows only the grill bar. Loved the body lines and look of the car. Well I took her home with a blown transmission and a gay ass cheap Home Depot pale blue paint job.<O:p</O:p

16. cobra2

cobra2
    from dallas

My '28 RPU kinda found me. My friend had retrieved it from a pasture and had it in his storage for a couple of years. He was going to restore it to original but gave up on finding the time. He told me to take it and build it and if I ever sell it I can pay him for it. I wanted to build a glass t-bucket not a full-fender steel car but I think it worked out for the best. He prolly won't get paid until I die cause I don't plan to sell it.

17. 1946 Ford I looked for-

1960 Pontiac found me-

18. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

My 50 sedan delivery found me by putting an ad in Craigslist.
    [​IMG]

19. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Got drunk, decided to mess around on ebay... Accidentally bought a '48 chevy... But now I love her...

Delivered from 4 hours away, $800 I dont think I did bad.

So did I find it or it find me... All I know is jack did all the work...

Attached Files:

20. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Was at the gym with a friend who introduced me to a fellow gearhead. We were talking about cars when I mentioned my holy grail of a car would be a Willys coupe. He smiled and said he had two steel coupes in his garage needing complete restoration. We became friends and a few years later he agreed to sell me one. I think the car found me.

21. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

my '56 Chevy just happened, got a phone call from my dad and he said "hey I got you a V8 auto '56, come look, and by the way you owe me $1000"
    It has been put on the back burner but I plan to just get it running driving and stopping and sell it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

Mine found me. After retiring I started going down to the nearby McDonalds for coffee almost every morning. It started out with a few of my neighbors, but slowly more guys and girls noticed all the fun we were having and they started to join us. A guy who had lived with in a half mile of me for forty + years who I had never met, sat down with us one morning and started talking about this 32 ford truck he knew about, the rest is history. Since then we have become great friends and we attend swap meets, cruses, and shows together all the time. I've got the 32 almost done, and have started to look for another project, maybe a 30 or 31 Model A. It was easier when the truck found me, but I doubt that I have enough time left for an A to find me.

23. Studebricker

Studebricker
    from TX

I got the bug for a bulletnose Studebaker probably 10 years ago when I first saw one in person at a used car lot. I had a 66 Mustang fastback at the time and was living in an apartment, so the Stude was just a dream. Fast forward to 2010 when I decided to sell the Mustang and begin seriously searching for a bulletnose.

Due to the market sort of dropping out for the type of car I had, as well as some mechanical issues, etc, it ended up taking me about two years to sell the Mustang. I had lucked into finding the exact type of Studebaker I wanted, plus the guy that owned it stopped advertising it for sale a few months after I called him about it. I thought he was sort of saving it for me since he knew I was serious, but later found out he had just "gotten busy" -- HA!

Anyway, it's in pretty good original shape, has low miles, no rust, etc. This is my "keep it forever" car...

24. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

My 54 was by luck. After a long and expensive divorce that included selling cars and guns, I did a lot of looking in year ranges that I was interested in. Mostly looking for older than I ended up with.
    I came across the 54 and it is a car that I've wanted for a long time. I stretched the budget and got it.
    Now, nearly a year later I've got a donor 79 El Camino for the engine, transmission, rear end and anything else that I can use. New springs, shocks and brackets for them showed up at my door yesterday, transmission cooler today. Lokar floor shifter and shift boot plus seat belts will be here soon.
    I will be on the road soon!

25. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Latter , thank you:cool::D

26. Hefty Lefty

Hefty Lefty

My '62 Buick found me. The car had sat in a garage about twenty years when the late owner's kid decided to fix it up a little and drive it around. He spent four or five hundred bucks on getting it going and in about two months the Dynaflow quit flowing. It had the good fortune to do it at a truck stop off I-70 outside Kansas City where I just had to stop for a head call. The kid told me it was going to the crusher since it hadn't really been worth fixing up anyway and he wasn't going to put another nickel in it. I had been looking for an older rocket style Buick, but I told him I'd give him a few bucks over scrap for it if he had the title. He didn't, but said he could get it in a few days since the paperwork was sent in to Jeff City. I went to the ATM, got a notarized bill of sale (the truck stop had a notary) and the truck stop agreed to let us leave it there a couple of days. I trailered it home a couple of days later and the title arrived a few days after that.

27. synchro7

synchro7

I found my A in the summer of 1970 through the guy next door. His dad found it, wouldn't buy it because the eng and trans were missing and it had hyd brakes. When I first saw it all I could see was 6" of the roof. It had about 200 new tires stacked around it. After seeing how little rust it had, I said hell yes. A week and $500.00 later it was in my garage.

28. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

'me too'

29. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Found it. Was looking for a good Model A or even better a 1932 V8 Ford resto that i could afford. Allways dreamed of a old hotrod done in the 40ths, the real 1932´s was way to much money and new made 32 with a 350 is not my cup of tea bla bla...
    Had given up looking and started to accept that a Model A or Dodge would be the choise, when i allmost stumbeld on a 1932 with a 27 body with A strange ad since you couldent do a search(went throu like 1000 of ads) but in this matter fresh. So out in the desert of Socal it stod, bought it fast(hard to act calm in that moment).

30. indyjps

indyjps

1 OT car I found and that's the 1 I'm keeping, all the others found me, they come and go. 63 impala project found me, its a parts car for my fathers 409, but its nicer than most of the stuff for sale these days.