Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 54 Chevy Trunk popper

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir X Loin, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

Hey guys, Im just looking for ideas on how to mount spring loaded Autoloc trunk poppers. Not a soilenoid, just the opening assist. Any help and pics would be awesome.

2. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

can't help i used a cable release inside car.

4. roddinron

roddinron

My 54 Chevy deck lid is spring loaded from the factory. I hit the release and it pops up enough to put my fingers under it and lift. Doesn't yours?

5. Sir X Loin

Sir X Loin

My car is a 51, and no. I still have the key on the lid. Its kind of a bitch to open because of the weight of it. I bought some poppers on ebay and when I look at it, there isn't really a good spot to mount one (or two).

Like everything else with 49-54's, I figured that someone had to have done it already.

6. roddinron

roddinron

I don't know if the 51's used the same system as 54, but like I said, the factory springs pop mine a little already. Maybe your springs are worn? As far as lifting weight, that's what the springs are for. mine opens with no effort at all, and I don't even have the key to use as a "handle". If yours has the same spring system as a 54, I'd replace the springs unless some other 51 owners say otherwise. Anyway, this will bump it for ya.

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

i'm guessing your springs are weak or broken. the trunk lid is heavy though and the poppers wo'nt do alot. may need to look at a electric lift. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A small angle bracket to mount the popper in and a tab for it to push against is all you need. It doesn't really matter if the popper is mounted on the lid or maybe next to the latch pushing the lid. It's just a spring loaded piston that pushes something.

9. John Denich

John Denich

I just put new trunk rubber in all of mine and they pop up no problem!