Register now to get rid of these ads!

For whom the bell-housing tolls; quick question..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52pig, Apr 15, 2013.

1. 52pig

52pig

Actually two questions, here's the first:

I have a 1968 Chevy 250 L6 with a four speed, I heard rumors that flywheel and bell housing can interchange with my '66 283 V8. Is this true? Because I'd like to stick the 283 in my 55.5 Chevy pickup and have the four speed, plus this bell-housing has the threaded mounts on it too.

Second, I want to run a standard behind my 1959 390 Cadillac that will be going into my T. But I have no idea what flywheel/bell(if any from the BOP family) I could use or just go an expensive route with any good adapter kits. If you know of one, tell me please.

Thank you for any help.

2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

That is correct. The truck would have originally used a 14 inch diameter, 168 tooth flywheel, and it will work also, as long as you use the correct starter motor. That starter would be the staggered mount block mounted starter, or the 3 bolt, bolt-to-the-bellhousing starter. There might be a size difference in the bellhousing opening for the throw out bearing collar, but there are adapters from McLeod/Lakewood to take care of that, MIGHT be. Butch/56sedandelivery.

P.S., it seems like a lot of people refer to sixes as "L"-six; should't it be "I"-six for "inline"? I think the confusion arises from the use of lower VS capital case letters. ?????

3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Chevrolet called it "L"six- for in[L]ine.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Since Cadillac changed the rear of the engine block in '55 and the last standard shift Caddy was in '54, there is no such thing as a factory stick bell housing or flywheel for the '55-'62 engines, and the pattern stands alone....no other engine shared it. The aftermarket used to make bell housings for them, and at least one company made a special adapter that allowed you to bolt a '49-'54 bell housing to it. I have also seen a couple factory detatchable hydramatic bell housings that had been modified for use with a standard transmission.

5. 52pig

52pig

Thanks guys, the 250 is a running and driving engine in my '63 Nova, but it is originally from a '68 pickup. So I have all the parts, just wanted to make sure before I pull it out of my car. The Nova will be leaving the road soon.

As for the Caddy, thanks Heathen. Pretty much what I figured, I do have the transmission with it and I believe it has the removable bell. I'll have to look, maybe I could get creative. I have some machine shop friends that may be able to help. I'd love to have a four or five speed behind that monster...

I've seen I-6 and L-6, I like L6 for some reason. Maybe because the damn thing is long as hell when you're rebuilding it! So it's a "L"ong six in my book.:D

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The starter, flywheel, bellhousing, clutch and trans will work behind the 66 283 as long as you use them in a package. The only issue might be if the 283 isn't drilled for the offset bolt pattern of the starter if the 250 starter bolts to the block.

L six usually refers to an L head = flathead six where and I six would have the valves in head and a F six would have the intake valves in the head and exhaust valves in the block.

7. 52pig

52pig

Good enough for me, I'll start using I6 for the 250.

I'll use everything from the crank flange back. I'm glad because I didn't want to go looking for Chevy parts at the swap.

Since were talking standards and bell-housings here, how about the clutch fork? Can I use the one from the truck so I can use the stock pedal and linkage? As far as I can see without taking it all apart is, yes. Seems like most of the stuff is able to swap around.