Register now to get rid of these ads!

Windshield edge sanding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jounik, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

I had a new windshield made for my chopped 1963 Riviera, but with my luck it doesn´t fit!! It hits the body in the corners:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now I have 2 options. 1.Sand the edge to remove material or 2.modify the window opening..
    I´d prefer #1, is it possible to sand the corners with out risking cracking the glass? What is the best procedure to do it?
    Thanks!

J

2. upspirate

upspirate

I've seen them sand the edges after cutting in a glass shop when I had my w/s replaced in my Model A.

They had a big stationary belt sander for this

3. Take it to a glass shop that has a wet sanding machine,,ask me why I know!:rolleyes:

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

As Upspirate said...but hey,why not take it back to the shop that cut it down and have them sand/cut the glass..

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark it with a Sharpie and have the glass shop sand it with their wet sander belt. Sanding the edges and corners on glass is a normal glass shop operation.

6. oldolds

oldolds

Put some 80 grit on a sanding block. Take your time. It might take as long as 10 minutes a side to fix it. Use fabric backed, like from a belt sander.

7. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

You can use a belt sander,you will also need to spray with water.get a buddy to spray while you sand don't try to do it fast take your time it will be fine.

8. i have done it with a belt sander by greasing the belt and working it slowly.

9. dtracy

dtracy

Before you cut anything from the corners, setup the glass in the opening with it centered left to right and top to bottom. Add spacing until you have an equal amount on opposite sides. Then mark the corners to give an equal amount relative to the sides and top/bottom.

Next, take it back to the glass shop and show them what needs to be adjusted and they will do it safely (with experience) and probably not even charge you as they were the original fitter.

Dave.

10. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

Ok, thanks! I called a local glass shop and they told me they could try sanding it but they give no guarantee. I got a feeling that they have broken a few while doing it ;)
    I was´t going to take it back to the shop that made it because its quite far. My mistake, I should have made a better pattern. I just drew a line with a marker on the old glass, but I did not consider the lower corners :(
    But I´ll try hand sanding it first and if that s**ks, I´ll cut some steel ;)

J

11. roddinron

roddinron

Kinda looks to me like you could adjust the metal down there a little to fit the glass.

12. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

I got it sanded! I used 80 grit emery cloth and sanding blog. It took about 1,5 hours and a a couple of yards of emery cloth :D
    Thanks!

J

13. dtracy

dtracy

Did you lean the posts back a little during the chop? That would account for the long lower corners.

Dave.

14. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

No, only inside a little. Thou it might have had some effect in it.

J

15. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

More problems. Because the arc of the windshield is different in the middle, the upper edge of the chopped windshield is not fitting the roof too well:
    [​IMG]
    There is like 1/2 inch gap between the roof lip and the windshield. Maybe this can be fixed with the adhesive, but the stainless steel rim wont fit too good :(
    I had a crazy idea: Maybe if I lift the front of the roof a little:
    [​IMG]
    If I make some relief cuts under the edge...
    [​IMG]
    And then lift the roof just a little... I was thinking about winching it slightly and tapping with a hammer to bend the roof edge...
    Could this work or am I just asking for trouble
    Thanks!

J

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

SOmetimes you can get it close enough by sanding the sides ( more on the top than the bottom) of the windshield so it lays back farther. It might fit a little off on the sides, but if you can get the top closer, it's not a bad compromise. If it looks like tht might not work, just build out the sheet metal to match the new curve of the windshield.

17. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

It is easier to modify metal to fit than trying to modify glass. Just be careful when you jack up the center of the roof that you don't suck in the side posts. Keep measuring as you go. Like you said a relief cut in the metal may be necessary. Good luck. looks like a cool project.

18. hotrodgypsy

hotrodgypsy
    from reading,pa

If its saftey glass ur ok...if you have tempered glass u cant sand it...the glass could shatter very easily...theres no gaurentee...

19. ugotpk

ugotpk

Tape it off with duct tape. Then sand blast the glass away.

20. Choff

Choff

I worked a glass shop for 20 years.
    You can use a belt sander with fine belt and take your time, you can safely take 1/8 off glass, do not get it hot. Work slow and do not be in a hurry.
    Windshields are Laminated safety glass not Tempered glass.
    Choff

reagen likes this.
  21. Here what you need to use. I have used this style, of grinding for many years.
    Very high dollar prototype glass.

You can get them in other grit pads.
    Order the pad and the mandrel. Call and as them, very helpful with in info.

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-116-zd4q400-3m-4-400-grit-qrs-mount-flexible-diamond-disc.html

<TABLE class=image-container><TBODY><TR><TD style="MIN-WIDTH: 430px">[​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Click here to enlarge

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-17126-zdp4q58-3m-4-qrs-mount-disc-pad.html

[​IMG]

Use and air grinder and a stream of water from hose. With water they will last for a long time.

Product Description
    Very Aggressive Grinding Pad Diamonds Offer Longer Life 1" Center Hole The CRL 3M&#8482; Diamond Disc offers tremendous life compared to a standard silicon carbide disc. In addition, the edge quality is consistent throughout the life of the disc. This is because diamonds wear much slower than silicon carbide. Since diamonds cut rather than scratch like sandpaper, less pressure is required to accomplish the same material removal. Disc life and finish will always be improved when used with water. Supply the water by using a spray bottle or spray delivery system for best results. Diameter: 4 in (101 mm) Additional Product Information: When working on clean cut (sharp edge) glass, use light pressure on first pass to remove sharp edges. Then increase pressure to suit desired grinding rate. Disc backing material is impervious to water, which helps to aid the aggressive pressure adhesive in a positive grip on the disc pad. Although considerably more expensive, diamond discs can offer savings in situations where disc changing time or consistency of edge finish is critical. Important Note: Always wear the proper safety gear including eye protection and a respirator before grinding or sanding glass.

Use Water and no Respirator, needed

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  22. Jounik

Jounik
    from Finland

Thanks Divco, thats a great tip!

J

23. I hate to post. you have had so much info all ready. your riv is a glue in windshield that doesn't have the stress of a gasket. you can have 1/8 to 3/8 difference on the windshield fit with zero problems. if the stainless fits, your done