Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help lowering a 51 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51_special, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 51_special

51_special

I am sure it has been covered before but cant find anything. What is the best way to drop it down 3-4 inches. its got the coils on on all 4 corners. do i cut em buy the jamcos or is there another coil that will work. if you got pics with what youve done post em pleases. also how low can i go with out messing up my driveline as it is the closed style with the 3 speed.

2. 51_special

51_special

3. 51_special

51_special

4. Bagged50Buick

Bagged50Buick

Cut the fronts just slightly......78 el camino rear springs. Should get your car pretty low. Don't cut too much from the front. A little goes a long way. Good luck.

5. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Remember each inch cut at the spring = 1 1/2 or so at the fender plus makes the spring ~10 pct stiffer.

6. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

What engine is it?

7. Styleliner

Styleliner

Im interested in this thread also ... Would this info apply to a 49 chev front springs as well?

8. 51_special

51_special

Hoop98 its got the 263 inline 8. Thanks everyone so far. I am definitely not putting air ride. i really am going for the period correct option plus i dont have that kind of cash layin around.

9. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Ok I took the Chevrolet Springs and added 600 pounds front end weight.
    The stock BOP spring ride height in that era was 10.375. I uprated the springs for the Buick weight and I see a couple that should be close. If you took the springs out and measured the height, diameter of the wire and the number of coils I cold give you something pretty exact.

Styleliner I'll work up something for you too.

[​IMG]

10. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Styleline, here are some springs to check out, I used the 50 Chev standard spring, they had more detailed spec than 49.

[​IMG]

11. 51_special

51_special

Hoop by using those will it mess up anything in my drive line or will i be fine even with my torque tube? and are those from eaton or someone else? Thanks for the work up. i will try and get those springs out for some measurements. also those are just the fronts right? Thanks!

12. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

The spring info is from Moog. I took that and then estimated what the weight would be in your front end and then calculated the load that way.

Most people think the BOP cars work best around 9.5 loaded spring length. Take it easy and go mild if you want to avoid issues.

Once you measure your springs we can be more accurate.

Hoop

13. 51_special

51_special

Thanks so much for all the help! Hoop what's your opinion on cutting them?

14. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Ask me after you measure them and take pics :)

15. 51_special

51_special

Sounds good it will be later in the week work always seems to get in the way of good times!

16. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

I bought the Jamco 2" lowered springs for the front of my 52 Super. Looks good and rides great. Still trying to figure out something for the back...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. 51_special

51_special

Oshkosh I thought I saw rears on their site for the same price?

18. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Remove your rear springs and block the frame at the height you want. Then check the ball socket on back of Trans for adequate room to move with susp travel then look for rear springs or cut I would be conservative at first. Too drastic a change can take all the fun out of yer ol Buick just my .02

19. Contact Yaril. He can tell you how low you can go without a drive line problem. Here's the contact info. He's also on here but you'll get a quicker response this way. The link also includes a phone number if you want an answer really fast. He's got a Buick that ran a static drop before he bagged it. He had it pretty low before the bags.

http://www.yarilswork.com/html/contact.php

20. 51_special

51_special

Thanks Sam. Sent him a message today.

21. csimonds

csimonds

51 Special,
    This is the way to go, I did this same thing on my 50 Super and it worked out great. I have yet to cut the fronts, but that is next, running as a slight tail dragger right now with now problems with the driveline. The 78 El-Camino springs jump right in like they belong!
    Chuck

22. 51_special

51_special

CSI, How far did those elco springs drop your rear? do happen to have a pic of it?
    Thanks!