Register now to get rid of these ads!

steel packs on a flathead 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corvairsixtyfour, Apr 13, 2013.

1. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

so i been thinking about changing my exhaust a bit so i could get a better tone. right now im running a stock plymouth falthead 6 with reds headers. with a 25" thrush glasspack and a generic 12" glasspack. im using 1.5in pipe all the way to the back, and im not getting the rap i want. i used to have it straight piped and i love the way it rapped but was to loud for a daily driver, so im looking for something a little bit quieter than straight pipe. will the shortest steel pack from mellow tone quite it down a bit more than straight pipes, and i want them to rap a lot. any other suggestions? and i also had one straight pipe and with a thrush glasspack on the other bank and it was still to loud.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may quiet down a bit but the steel will most likely burn out to the point that the little Mopar will have a nice rap to it. One of the "older" neighbor kids had a Mopar ragtop that sat about that low and had one of the sweetest pipes I ever heard on it but I have no idea what they were as I was about 13 at the time.

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I ran straight pipes out the back, it wasn't loud, and had a nice lope...

My 230 was perhaps 7 to 1 tops. It was quiet....

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Are the mufflers near the front or the back? (The farther forward, the more rap.)

Was the one muffler on the passenger or driver side? Which side is the long muffler on?
    The bends in the pipe have a large effect on the volume.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

5. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

its as far forward i could put them, and the one muffler was on the passenger, and the long muffler was on the passenger too

6. rowdyauto

rowdyauto

headers, 1.5 tube, short glasspacks forward as you can,pertronix helps but compression is king.

7. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

i have a brockman mellowtone steelpack in my kaiser. its a 226 flathead six. single exhaust 2" piping. its not too loud while cruising, raps not too much either. muffler is placed pretty close up front to the engine.

heres a sound clip

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lzKRYTbhtT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Brock can make them with no packing if you like, to eliminate the time it takes to burn out the steel packing.

9. corvairsixtyfour

corvairsixtyfour
    from Pomona ca

do steel packs rapp more than glasspacks?