Register now to get rid of these ads!

A question for the drag racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drumyn29, Apr 12, 2013.

1. drumyn29

drumyn29

Did racers from the 60's run a Crankcase Evacuation System or is that new technology? I'm building a vintage hilborn injected small block and not sure if installing one would make much of a difference horsepower or pressure blown seals and gaskets.

2. mike hohnstein

mike hohnstein
    BANNED
    from wisconsin

I remember a kit called 'Vac-U-Pan', can't say when they were produced I bought a couple in the mid 70's. Any thing you can do to reduce pressure in the crankcase is a good thing.

3. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

First appeared early seventies, first place I ever saw it was Jenkins, around '73.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

And he was using special 2 ring pistons,
    Never saw a 850hp 410ci sprint car running them either.

6. drumyn29

drumyn29

Hoekum?

7. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

usually not needed...

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keeping the case pressure negative results in cleaner combustion, better ring control, which in turn will create more power. It's worth doing whether it's vintage or not. So I would approach it as a challenge to either hide it or devise a system with old parts as if you were experimenting back in the day.

9. oj

oj

The sprints have drysump and that gives very good vacuum.

10. powrshftr

powrshftr

Most of the early '60's stuff ran stock Chrysler Firepower or Corvette covers with aftermarket breathers installed....check out the Mooneyes catalog for some really cool looking stuff that really fits the vintage drag "vibe"...

11. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

On the dyno, I saw 12 hp @ 8 inches of vacuum. N/A 528 BBC. Problem is the vacuum pump fights oil pressure. People go overboard and end up with real low oil pressure. Not a big fan of pumps.

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Not when you run a 1 1/4 crossover tube with breathers attached to the valve covers.

At what RPM range did you see those numbers on that BBC?

13. drumyn29

drumyn29

By chance do you have a picture of crossover tubes?

14. to answer your original question:No,we used breathers on the valve covers

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Like a lot of stuff that gets passed off as hokum, its not the vacu-pan in and of itself that makes power as much as other things that the vacu-pan allows you to get away with. Like much lower oil ring/second ring tension...

16. oj

oj

17. iagsxr

iagsxr

So your vacuum cleaner doesn't suck because there's a hole in the end of the hose?

Multi-stage dry sump negates the need for a separate vacuum pump.

18. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

[​IMG]

19. iagsxr

iagsxr

Barnes 4-stage; one stage pressure, three stages scavenge=massive vacuum

The engine has to be vented to atmosphere or it will suck main seals in<-IN.

[​IMG]

Then don't forget the tank has to also be vented to atmosphere;

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nope, we never thought of using one.

21. drumyn29

drumyn29

my motor

Attached Files:

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ive seen some electric powered ones around here. They get them off of the Oldsmobile Quad Four engines. Salvage yard item and you can hide it. Wes Wells used one on his P/S bike as well.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yup, you cant build a vacuum if yer suckin' wind...:p

24. chasracer54

chasracer54

Jenkins stuff - early 70's is about when it showed up. Something similar that the stocker guys did was run PCV units in both covers, tied together and tee-d to intake manifold under the carb. It was good for a few horses with the right ring package.
    <object style="position:absolute;z-index:1000" type="application/x-dgnria" id="plugin0" width="0" height="0">

</object>

25. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

From about 6000 to 9200. It made vacuum down lower, but didn't see any hp gain. This is a nitrous motor, large ring end gaps, any a fair amount of blow by.It is a dry sump. They work, but most over state the real power gain. If you crank the pump up to 12 lbs or more,I have seen 0 oil pressure registered. Not a fan unless you need that last few ponies.

26. lht

lht

don't know about the 60's but in 70's we ran evacuation lines from valve cover breathers to bungs on exhaust collector

27. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

What type of CAR are you building this engine for?

This is the way I am veiwing it

You are taking this engine and puting it into a dragster/altered to run Nostalgia. The only classes this engine will fit into are ther NE based on index ET's of 7.60-8.60-9.60 (whereas the most common for an Injected is NE-2, 8.60) If that motor can run like it is an 8.50, there is know reason to spend money to go faster. If you plan on running zoomies, there is not enough exhaust signal to open the valve, If there was, you would see the valve on one pipe instead of after the collector as they do. Zoomies are lighter that collector headers thus negating hp gain by the evac system do to weight.If you are not willing to totaly examine your engine combo to utilize the evac and change it then it is a waste of money. I could make 2000HP buying parts out of Summit/Jegs if I listened to all the claims--we all know it isnt true. K&N filters claim 15HP just by useing their filter, and by their dyno, the claim is true @ 6500 rpm, but the rpm one runs it on the street, it does nothing but filter the air.
    Take the engine as you have it now, run the pump off the cam, switch to zoomies, vent the top(middle) of the valve covers to a puke tank--put it into a dragster/altered and go have fun racing it.

28. drumyn29

drumyn29

It's going in a full blown drag car

Attached Files: