Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. 87Heaven

87Heaven

Nice going on the Clamp 3D kot...And welcome to the HAMB.:)

The reason we make that kind of stuff is the same reason we come to the HAMB.:D

2. jazz1

jazz1

Nice job,,, I bought a few couple years ago as i was leery of their quality as I had never seen them before(i dont get out much) It would be easy enough to make some up for larger projects using maybe 2" square stock.. Or make one out of the biggest diameter square stock you can find just to hang in your shop.

3. kevtsi

kevtsi

wow Ive been going through this thread for what seems like a week. I really enjoyed all of the awesome tools. Of all of them the rotisserie's are what have me wanting to make first. Roughly how much weight can be put up on these?

4. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Mine is not the most robustly built of all the ones I have seen here and other places but I can still put my assembled MGB on it (about 2,000 lbs) and it holds it fine. Some of the stronger ones should handle twice that with no problem.

bottom2.jpg

5. Buzznut

Buzznut

Love the STORAGE SPACE you fabbed into that chassis...

Seriously, took me a second to realize that all of that was spray paint and stuff on the shelves behind the rotisserie.

6. Jim Stabe

Jim Stabe

Yep, that's pre-floorboards

7. Mattbee

Mattbee

I've been looking at making my own tubing bender. Has anybody made one using a pneumatic air cylinder instead of a hydraulic cylinder? I have a couple laying around and was thinking about using if is possible. Does anybody have one that they made themself?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  8. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

I wanted a verical bench belt sander so I made this stand for one of my many extra belt sanders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jalopy45

jalopy45

How long before someone mentions the belts are running horizontal in the photos? :D

10. only vertical in the mid west, he's on the east cost , mine goes the other way being im on the left coast , lol :rolleyes::D

11. backwoods96

backwoods96
    from Mead, Wa.

Mine fell over so it is running horizontal ---------------

12. I wanted to work on my 50 Pontiac's doors, so I welded a couple pieces of 1 1/4" tubing onto the legs of my small fab bench then made a couple of "L" shaped pieces to fit in them. A piece of foan pipe insulation on the top edge of the bench and it was done. I did have to grind the seam down in the 1 1/4" so the 1" slid easily.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  13. willymakeit

willymakeit

Check Pirate 4X4 forum. There is a guy by the name of Takas (?) who sells a nice set of plans. Air over hyd.,uses pro bend dies.Works in the vertical fashion. I have the PDF and am in the process of building it.
    Hope this helps.:)

14. olcarguy

olcarguy

Air will work ....however the size of the cylinder required would be HUGE, as in really really freaking big....

15. LowerthanLife

LowerthanLife

what do you use the chainmaille for??

16. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

the chainmaile is a bit of an expeariment really. i used it to cover the seat you see nexto it for this bike. time will tell if it suits the bike or not
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Buzznut

Buzznut

18. Not a home made tool , but a improvement. I stored my sandblaster in a unheated storge shed. I went to use it and the sand had drawn moisture and became clogged. I had to dis-assemble the lower part and then shake the sand out of it. That took some time. When I got ready to re-assemble it I had a heck of a time getting the sandblast hose screwed back in. I solved the problem by adding a union and now it is easy to get the hose off of the unit with out having to untwist the hose. The hose has crimped on the ends and I didn't want to cut them off and use hose clamps.

It might even be handy if you are changing media. Just unscrew the hose and capture the unused media in a container instead of blowing it through the nozzle.

Attached Files:

• 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      55.5 KB
      Views:
  19. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I built a jd square model 3 only cost like $100 in material

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

20. harmless

harmless

Great Idea, thanks for posting

21. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

i made this sheet metal bender. works pretty good as it is but i think i need to add some support bracing in the center for thicker stuff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

This certainly isn't the most sophisticated homemade tool ever built, but it does the job. It was always a pain to put early Ford front brake drum/ tap in dust covers in place for me. I would tap around the edge with a screwdriver and hammer so I wouldn't dent the dome on the cover, but that left a lot of scratches and took a lot of time. So I built a simple tool to install them.

I took a piece of scrap 2.25 diameter steel tubing and sliced a piece out of it a few inches long. That size fits perfectly over the Ford dust cover and yet is small enough to catch the lip that runs around the cover. To that I welded a piece of flat stock steel so I could have a flat surface to smack with a hammer, and I also welded a piece of round stock on for a handle, so my hand was away from where I was striking.

To install the cover (some people call them a grease cap/bearing cover) you simply start the cover into the hole in the brake drum hub, then squarely put the round part of the tool over the cap and smack it with a hammer a few times to drive the cover into the hub. I found that if you slightly bevel the leading edge of the cover a little it will start into the hole better.

Since building this tool I have never dented another cover and they always go right in without any cocking in the hub, and it took all of 15 minutes to make the tool. The hole in the flat plate is simply to hang the tool up when not in use.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  23. Here's a couple I made....
    The brake will bend 18 ga a full 48" wide, and 16 ga in shorter lengths. I have about $50 in it, most of the metal I had laying around. I plan on adding some counter weights to it when I have time.

Second one is a masking paper dispenser I made from a bunch of pipe fittings and a couple old lawnmower wheels. It has an old hacksaw blade to rip the paper off. Works great, I've been using it for years.

I have a lot of fun designing and making my own stuff.

Attached Files:

24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Don, that is so damn simple but a great idea! I'll have to throw one to together.

25. Low350

Low350
    from Australia

Hey Guys, awesome thread! I'm totally inspired to go and build some sweet tools after spending the morning going through most of these posts!! I've only made a few small tools but they've certainly been super useful!!

A long reach dolly from an old hi tensile bolt...
    [​IMG]

Turned the head down on a lathe and then hit it with a sanding disc before polishing it with various grades of paper by hand..
    [​IMG]

Works a treat!

Also made this slapper from an old file..

[​IMG]

Heated it and bent it with the oxy, then added some electrical heat shrink for a more forgiving handle.. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  26. atch

atch

don - great job. i like the handle a lot; wish mine had a handle. i think i'll add one.

bob - if/when you make yours consider using a PVC pipe fitting where it touches the grease cup. i made mine doing that and i've never scratched a grease cup since (although i imagine that by striking the cup all the way around instead of in just one pprobably wouldn't scratch one with one made from a steel pipe/tube).

27. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

i made a dust cap driver a long time ago,as i cant stand a bent up dust cap.
    they like to fall off when they are mashed on with a hammer.
    i service a lot of trailers,all travel thousands of miles on gravel.a pristine cap stays on longer.
    if the part that touches the cap is smooth,it is less likely to mar the cap.

28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Man I think the work Done here is great, But I have to ask, What in the hell would you do with a 36 inch Bowl??.....I mean that would be like 8 boxes of "fruity pebbles" and 4 gallons of milk........LOL

29. Man I think the work Done here is great, But I have to ask, What in the hell would you do with a 36 inch Bowl??.....I mean that would be like 8 boxes of "fruity pebbles" and 4 gallons of milk........LOL

make a good drain pan<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

30. 3d_kot

3d_kot

Hello everyone :). Sorry for offtopic, but I decided to show how I improved my welding helmet. LED lights were bought on ebay)

Attached Files: