Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ooh That Smell...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 11, 2013.

1. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Not a 'hot rod' (although they were at
    least powered by a flathead Ford V8!)
    - when I was a very little kid - circa mid
    and-late-1950's - my Dad had a WWII
    Canadian army surplus 'Universal Carrier'
    (aka a "Bren Gun Carrier") Ours was
    actually the later war-production MKII
    version, that used a 95 hp Mercury
    flathead, as opposed to the earlier, 85
    hp. Ford-powered MKI version) The U.C
    was a fully tracked, open vehicle, sort
    of like a half-scale, miniaturized tank,
    minus the turret and powered by a
    mid-mounted flathead Ford, or later
    Mercury V8. The Canadian and Brit
    military used them in WWII for
    virtually everything - as light 'armoured
    personnel carriers, light artillery
    tractors, battlefield reconnaissance
    and communications vehicles and
    commonly, as a mount and a carrier
    for mortars, anti-tank guns and Bren
    machine guns. Until it broke a track
    and got permanently and irretrievably
    lost - first stuck and then sunk
    completely out of sight in a swamp and
    peat bog, miles from home. my Dad used
    it as a combination dune and swamp
    buggy. for tearing around on the rented
    semi-wilderness farm property we
    lived on back then. I was probably only
    4-years old the last time I saw and rode
    in it and never thought too much about
    it again for years - until some time in
    the 1990's - some 40-odd years later,
    when I saw a restored Universal
    Carrier on display in a The Canadian
    War Museum in Ottawa. As soon as I
    walked into the room where it was
    displayed - before I saw it or even
    knew that it was there, I instantly
    recognized the unique and quite
    pungent semi-sweet, semi-sour
    'combination "gasoline-oil-canvas
    -dust-and-sweat
    " fragrance emanating
    from the machine as being that of U. C,
    and the memories of my Dad's U.C.
    instantly came flooding and filled my
    head. Strange how that works and how
    powerful the sense of smell is for
    triggering old memories. :)

Attached Files:

2. a bloke

a bloke

I'd be out there with a shovel, Marty^^

Funnily enough, 3 days ago I was riding my bike and a rough old van passed me - the smell of unburnt petrol cast me straight back to being 17 years old and messing about with an old flattie.

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

oh that smell,cant you smell that smell, now i gotta go find my lynard tape.!! lol anyway i love the smell of gas ,oil, old cars , and burnt tires...and the shop after its been closed up a couple of days.i feel like im 17 again when the smells wake up my memory.then the smell of a certain plant wakes up a longing for certain songs...lol

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Back in the '70s I used to ride MX dirtbikes and some guys pre-mixed Castrol R30 (Castor oil), some used Klotz, and various other oils whose names that I can't remember. One thing for sure, I remember
    the smells.

To this day I buy Klotz Racing oil for my snowmobiles and 2 stroke yard machines. Every smell takes me back to my youth.

5. I have owned 4 shoebox Fords and they do have a great old car smell. I also had a '50 Plymouth and it did have a nice old smell, but it was different than the Fords.
    I also have to agree about the mouse turds and God help you if one of those little bastards dies inside your car, how in hell can one small dried up dead mouse smell so bad :mad:

6. 71nova

71nova

:DMundster...right on. One time at a car show I stuck my head in an old 50`s Ford truck to breathe in the old smell. The guy who owned it comes up to me and says " What the hell are you doing?" I told him I was going back in time.
    <script type="text/html" id="overlay_tmpl">
    </script><script type="text/html" id="overlay_tmpl">
    </script><script type="text/html" id="overlay_tmpl">
    </script>

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

Mee,too!!!

8. x2. 90wt smells like primordial oooze made from dead dinosuars... Which it is. :)

9. gdub

gdub

I gave a female colleague a ride in my F-1. The first thing she said was this smells just like my Dad's old truck.

10. flamingokid

flamingokid

In fact,smells are like music,they take you back to a better place.

11. silent rick

silent rick

i miss the smell of leaded gas and the old man's cigars. mom wouldn't let him smoke in the house, so we'd go for a ride.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  12. C0ra1l1

C0ra1l1

Last summer I bumped into my old man's former '55 Chevy by chance, stuck my head in from the open window and was immediately transported back to the early 90's.
    I almost couldn't stop breathing deep in as precious memories aroused me. The interior was mostly original, I suppose it was the main source preserving my memories.

13. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a kid, we'd go for Sunday drives and picnics often with my Grandparents. They had an old metal water cooler with ice water in it. We'd use the plastic coffee thermos cups for water cups.
    I'd forgotten all about that until a couple of years ago when for some reason I used a coffee cup to get some water. The taste of ice water with the smell of coffee took me back. Instantly!

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

It all went back to the day when I ran away from home at 4 yrs old (1959) and hid in a 40 coupe a block away. I sat in the drivers seat behind that big old wheel, Untouched and in disrepair. In my mind, that day, I drove that car to California and back. the smell of the mohair will never ever leave my memorybank.
    Yes that car had soul. And it permeated my being.
    It kills me to see old cars changed to a point where this old state is new.
    It will take many decades for these cars to achieve that status.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  15. I have seen studies that basically say that the sense of smell can evoke more memories that any of the other senses. I know that each of my old cars had it's own scent and like a mother dog knows the scent of her puppy, I would recognize those smells anywhere, even decades later. Time travel leaves me feeling nostalgic, but I love it anyway.

16. ironpile

ironpile

Unfortunatly my sense of smell is almost gone,same with taste.I know they are related.Sometimes I feel that I couldn`t smell crap if it was on my upper lip. I`m disappointed in the golden years.:(

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

The golden years should be changed to the rusty years. But a whiff of burnt Castrol R as a Manx Norton or race car tears by will transport me back every time.

18. Aside from the obvious smell of a musty old interior or dirt and grease... the smell of race fuel and Meguiar's plastic polish for lexan windows drives me nuts!

Sam

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh yea! thats a childhood trigger for me, paging through my dads old Car Lifes and Cycle Worlds in the sixties. Still love it.

20. Greybeard

Greybeard

My first car - number one of 152 in the ensuing 48 years - was a then 4-year old '61 Austin Mini that sometime in its life had a quart of castor oil spilled in the trunk. It permeated the car to the point that it smelled like a cross between a two stroke motorcycle race and my grandmother's medicine cabinet. Fast forward to 1990, I pulled a 1958 MG Magnette Saloon out of a 20 year storage and the mahogany dash and connoly leather had dried out leaving all their smells to permeate the headliner and the wool carpets. After a few minutes of a weird deja vu, I realized that it smelled almost exactly like the Mini.

21. panheadpete

panheadpete

I had this neighbor that i really didn't know all that well stop by and ask if he could borrow a oil filter wrench, as I opened the garage I noticed he closed his eyes and took a long slow breath thru his nose then exhaled and said "Man that smell is just like the smell of my Dads garage when i was a kid,oil and gasoline!". Made me smile.

22. budd

budd

i used my 45 gmc for awhile when i was selling wrought iron work at local farm markets, one day after eating a big batch of pizza i let a terrable fart go just as i was backing into my stall, made my eyes water, so i roll both windows down and jump out, just as i'm walking around the back to unload my tent and start setting up i hear this guys voice saying, WOW, what a great old truck and it smells just like my grand dads, i lean over and see this guy with his head in the drivers side window, my mind went blank and couldn't think of anything to say, just kept unloading.

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like the smell of grinding steel. Castrol R is great, too.

24. busajack

busajack
    from wy

Wonder which carcinogens your breathing??

25. COUPES

COUPES
    from England

Cant beat the smell of an old car 20s - 60s seem to all smell different. I had a WWII ship welder, oil filled and never forget the smell when i opened it up, REAL BAD!!! Lol

26. coupe man

coupe man

The smell of my 80 plus year old uncles garage.The wood inside was never painted or stained but almost black from years of being used as a working garage.

27. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Ahhhhh, the smell of horsehair in old VWs. Actually I believe I read somewhere it's really chopped coconut fiber. Still brings me back to my diaper-painting days.

I remember about 15 years ago pulling up in a pack and parking in front of a bar on my old Knuckle. I was running DuraLube in the oil and right after I shut it down an old graybeard came SPRINTING out wanting to know who was running the avgas.

28. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

How about the smell of the old tube radios when they heat up

29. Whenever we start the sprint car, after checking for leaks I always go back to the end of the headers and get a few lungfulls of methanol.... there's nothing like it!!
    I'd like my 47 to smell like the old tractors we drove every summer mowing....