Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got Laughed at Today at the parts counter!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Jul 17, 2012.

1. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Points ? Go with a Pertronix.... install and forget. It's a sad thing to say, but REAL parts emporiums no longer exist.......

4TTRUK

2. Here in east T.N. i have an account with Federated Auto Parts store When they cant get what i want i go the Nappa store They usally can get anything i need for my 1956 buick station wagon.Bruce.:cool:

3. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

i seriously must live in a good neighborhood for parts or something, cause i call up, they look up the part, then i walk in, buy it and leave. half the time with a friendly conversation. hell yesterday a lady saved me about 50 bucks pointing out that a mustang alternator is the exact same as a falcon alternator "does it have ac or a radio?" "no" "then this will work perfect"

4. Black Primer

Black Primer

Yesterday morning, I called the local parts store for a rear axle shaft for my OT pickup. The "partsman" said we don't have them, and our catalog only lists them for BMW, Chrysler, and Ford. No GMC or Chevy. "That's all I know", you'll have to call back monday. End of conversation...

I ordered one from Summit, should be here Tuesday. Will be a long time before I call them again!

5. Veach

Veach

How can this BE I SEE THE ASE PATCH just joking

6. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

We have an O'Reillys here in Rowlett that has a drag racer on the staff---feel pretty lucky, as he's knowledgable. Don't know how they got him.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Same here. It seems our O'Reillys must have undergone some backlash. For a long time there was no one there that knew a damn thing, much less spoke decent English. I know I emailed their web site to complain. Now they have a couple of older guys working there, one even knew about SBC canister to spin on filter conversions.

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's funny! Stopped at a Carquest last week to buy a clutch pivot ball for the side of the block on a BBC 454. A very common part that's the same for every V8 Chevy for many years. Three different counter people couldn't find it in their books, and one told me to go to a hardware store and they would have something!
    I'm usually polite to the ignorant counter people, but I told him he was an idiot and walked out.

9. Molonewolf

Molonewolf

I recently went back to work behind the counter at a major parts store chain. I had worked parts for 15 years but it was 15 years ago. We are rural area so still see a lot of older cars and trucks. In 3 months I have completed 90 hours of training on courses to work the counter. Just a suggestion to all if you have something old go to the web sites of stores you shop .You can see if it's in stock order it if not. Then go pick it up.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Really?
    were still doing this on the HAMB...
    unbelievable and its still going since July of 2012...wow

11. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Gezz man....Cut me some slack, I posted that in july of last year......LOL

12. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

i used to get a kick out of asking for parts for my motor, and then when they got to the part about what car it was in, i would say 36 Ford, and watch the look on their faces....then i realized that i was the stupid one, and if I wanted to get a part for my car i should be able to give them the info they need to help me, not be a jackass becase they did not know my 350 was in a 36 Ford....i know what cars had ther parts i need for repair/replaments, 69 chevelle for my trans, 79 truck for any engine part, 67 Ford master cylinder, etc....most parts guys here have been super helpfull and almost all have let me in the back areas to find pieces to fab stuff....

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Agreed. The time is gone to expect much from a parts store. They're pretty much warehouses with clerks today. My strategy is to walk in the door with the OEM part number and ask how soon they can get me one (and how much it is) after already knowing how much is is at Rockauto and how long shipping would take.

14. 37cevy4dr

37cevy4dr
    from Louisiana

If you put on your application that you have any knowledge of or experience with automobiles they, Auto Zone or most chains, will not hire you. They want them, the counter guys, to HAVE to go to the computer to find the part. This is why they will ask you, when looking for a radiator cap, what size engine it has. It is on the screen and they have to check all the boxes.
    They do not want you applicating any thing other than what is on the screen. They say they have less trouble this way.
    We were working on a friends 49 Thames panel and I sent him to the new AZ for a 2500# aux trans cooler. He came back and said they did not have one. WE went back and when I told the counter guy I wanted a 2500# rated aux cooler he was lost.
    The new manager stepped up and smiling told me to just tell him the make and model and he would look it up.
    So I told him, 49 English Thames with a 66 Chevy 327 using a 350 Automatic. He got a real "deer in the headlight look" and said "let me show you what we have." So went in the back and I pulled a cooler out of a box and pointed out the lettering that said, 2500# Rating on the package.
    There are very few parts men left in this day and age.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  15. willyslancs

willyslancs
    from u.k

went for a 6v battery the other week for the 44Willys Jeep , they wanted to know the number plate ..... then was told they don't make 6v batteries .....

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

^^ had a guy at O'Reilys look at me strange when I asked about 6 volt batteries. he didn't even know there was such a thing. he asked my what they came in , when I told him every car before about 1954 had 6 volts I don't think he believed me.

17. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Went to autozone for a set of alternator brushes for a friends late model SUV (looked them up online first).

Counter person had never even heard of the part before then.

Luckily I printed the page w/ part number off their website first.

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

Wow I feel lucky that the NAPA I go to (Canoga Park) is pretty good. The one parts guy there always goes above and beyond to get me parts for my truck.

I only go to Autozone or O'Reilys for consumables (fluids, etc). Their part quality is mediocre. I only put NAPA parts on my cars ever since I bought a shitty coolant temp sensor for my wife's car and it screwed the ECM up.

19. firingorder1

firingorder1

There's the winner. I'm amazed looking at the replies here how many are shocked that an 18 year old kid just starting out doesn't know that most cars had 6 volt systems up to 1954 or a generator is not the same as an alternator. Do you really expect the guy behind the counter to know every single thing on your 28A body on a '32 frame with an SBC and God knows what else you used to build your hot rod?

The guy behind the counter may not be a hot rodder of even a fan. The store attached to the NAPA warehouse where I worked for 15 years didn't have any hot rodders behind the counter. They were all pretty knowledgeable and very helpful. The knowledge came with experience. None of them started with an intimate knowledge of every car ever made.

20. jesse1980

jesse1980

21. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Guess I got lucky on this one...have an AutoZone and O'Reilly's that I have to pass to get to the little independent guy that has BOOKS with PART NUMBERS THAT CROSS REFERENCE!!!

22. hoodprop

hoodprop

I got laugh at the local autozone because i was rebuilding the front brakes on my F100. The kid asked why don't you convert it to a IFS. Told him it takes away from that old truck feel. So I go to Mazza now where the guys there get it.

23. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I think a lot of old knowledgeable parts guys have been put out to pasture by the big-box type parts stores. Lucky for us their pasture is NAPA.

24. I agree! This is the latest of about 40,000 similar threads here. Get over it people. Besides, I see a lot of, uh, not too swift questions and statements posted on the HAMB as truth. Put another way, a ton of bullshit!
    Guys, try NOT being a dick to people and you just might get better results!

25. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

When I rebuilt the 200 for the Fairlane, I was amazed at how much of the stuff I needed was on the shelves in the store. One Autozone was good. Full of knowledgable employess always ready to help. The Autozone nearer to my house was full of douchbags and douchebagettes. Always ready to argue and quick to say "we dont carry it" with out even looking. I called their corporate and complained. I guess it was one too many complaints because the manager was gone and the remaining idiots were all of the sudden the most polite people I had ever met.

26. Mac_55

Mac_55

Buddys wife walked into Oriellys . She says " I need a Brake light for a 20?? dodge caliber" Counter guy says " Ok , Front or Rear" ............... Shit you not.

27. Awkward

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. toychevytony

toychevytony
    from Maryland

I was surprised that autozone had parts for the 1953 3100 chevy truck

29. Duntov1967

Duntov1967

Last year I went to get some plugs for my DZ302 small block Chevy. The counter guy said I was wrong and that a 302 was a Ford. I politely told him Chevy did make a 302 and he got argumentative with me. Dumb punk.

30. aircoup

aircoup

CAREFUL WHO YOU CALL STUPID , MY WIFE WORKS AT NAPA, AND ONE DAY YOU JUST MIGHT FIND YOURSELF THERE EITHER NEEDING SOMETHING OR MAYBE EVEN WORKING THERE, AND WELL SEE HOW FRIENDLY YOURE FEELIN THEN ::cool: