Register now to get rid of these ads!

What color scallops on a red car? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Apr 14, 2013.

1. I want to do some mild stuff to my 61 Sunliner. It's mainly in it's original shade of red and I want to shave some emblems, rocker trim,.....maybe to rear lower 1/4 panel trim and need a little touch up on a couple small spots. I was going to try to keep my areas as small as possible in order to not disturb the rest of the panel. I would like to do a scallop / outline on those worked areas. I had a couple thoughts. First is black middle fading to silver with white striped outline, or silver fading to white with black striping, or a maroon or dark metallic red outlined in black. Car will be kept mild, dropped, chrome reverse wheels, lowered and the above modifications. Thanks for any suggestions

If any of you photoshop gurus wanna have at it be my guest.

2. Silver fading to white would be almost invisible under most lighting. Silver fading to red toward the centers would stand out. I would match the red to the original color as mutch as possible.

3. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

I also would make the interior accents pick up what ever color scallops you chose.I like the darker color lined in silver/white would look good with chrome reverse wheels.

4. Interior is red and white.. Car has a white boot for the top

5. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Candy red on a silver base. Match the candy to the
    color red that you have. If they need an outline after that go burgundy.

That car has enough shape and chrome that not going subtle just becomes excess flash.

6. What shade of red is it? If it is bright red I would use thin silver scallops with some light black cobwebbing over them and outline in black. If it is maroon I would use gold scallops with the cobwebbing and black outline.
    A light edge stripe isn't going to show up much against the silver if it is plain.
    Just as an aside;the 61 has a lot of contours and may not lend itself too well to scallops.A panel paint job might be a thought.

7. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Simple is always tasteful. White with a black outline or black with a white outline. My .02. RS59

8. sponge

sponge
    from Austin tx

9. screwball

screwball

cream or a light tan always looks real classic on red

10. Ray it's Ford bright red....not my favorite for a kustom.... But beautiful for a stocker. Don't want to do a total re spray at this point...but can't leave it alone either! Thanks for your insight

11. I suggest you browse through the Larry Watson thread. Lotsa good stuff there.

12. Spent a rainy Sunday doing just that. He was killer with candy...I'm trying to go off of solid bright red

13. Any Lunchbox Kustomizers wanna chime in?

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I love gold scallops on a red car. Pinstripe depends on the shade of red and gold used, but I would probably go with black.

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

You don't want to muddy it up. I agree with the "simple is always tasteful" comment above.

The same white as the top. Simple. You just don't need a bunch of contrast.

Make them look like they belong there.

16. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'd say the same white as the top with a black outline. Super simple

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

Agreed. Scallops should be the same white color as the top. Pinstripe the outline of the scallops a slightly darker red than the body color, this will make the the scallops "pop out" from the red body color. Kind of a shadow of the scallops on the red, if you get my drift.

All the best,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

18. This^^^^^

19. Hotrodhog

Hotrodhog

I agree with "cream or a light tan always looks real classic on red" or maybe cream or ivory with tan pinstripe outline...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

20. I love simple....I have had to convince folks on striping jobs I have done over the years that less is sometimes what you need, and I love simple 1 color designs. As far as color we are talking period early to mid 60 mild Kustom....so candy works well... As do fades in the scallops. Again this is being done for the same reason guys like Dean Jeffires and Larry Watson did it in the first place... A broke guy that wanted his car to stand out..without a ton of modifications, and a quick simple way to cover those that were done.

21. Anyone else wanna chime in?

22. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

I don't know if it is to late but I used bright white on my red. I love how it stands of the red. My scallops are only 1/2" wide as white is already bold enough. I didn't want them to scream look at me I just wanted to adhance the look.