Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933 plymouth 5w powered by HEMI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shtterbug8, Feb 12, 2013.

1. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

got the rear end tacked in....need to go buy myself some rear shackles. once those are bolted in i can weld in the shock mount brace in and finish weld the main rear end braces. all in all i love the look of the plymouth with no fenders. but i also love the look of fenders on these cars and lowered just enough to make the tires appear as if they are rubbing.

here are some update pictures for this easter sunday. i was able to lift the frame and body up with a chain hoist and roll the rear end under the frame. this was the only way i could do this install by myself. one picture shows the chain hoist i used. i bolted and welded a chain to the top of my building just to do this lift.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

body needs to go foward some. not that bad. also i think the ass end of the body needs to come up about a inch. besides that...looking good. here in the next couple weeks im going to be modifing the frame majorly. splicing and modding like a sob.

[​IMG]

3. nowhereman

nowhereman
    from illinois

i've tuned in nice project

4. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

damn. looks like im doing have to stretch a frame. got the body lined up over the axle. threw the body so far forward that the front fenders end in the middle of the doors. doesnt look very good sense the plymouth fenders usually end near the front of the door. so im going to stretch the frame roughly a foot inorder to get the correct foot print. right now axle to axle is 104.

5. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

stretched the frame a total of 18inches. dont have any pictures. im wore out completely and can barely stand up. i used 1/4 inch wall tubing and lined the inside of the original frame overlapping the cut joint 6inches on each side. this tube will then be boxed in with more plate when i box the entire frame for strength. might be a little over kill but looking at the gaint elephant thats going into the frame rails...its seems like just enough. going to mock up the engine in the frame then post pictures for everyone.

6. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

made a little progress today. had to stop because my stomach was getting rather upset. i hope im not getting a virus or something.

getting back to the car. i think the front needs to be lowered or maybe get some taller wheels. not sure which way to go. the wheels are currently 14inch. i know the rear needs to be lowered some also but cant determine the height until i get the rear fenders mounted.

i love the position of the hemi though.....just high enough.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Kinky6

Kinky6

Damn the rusty tin scraps, full speed ahead! This build looks like it took some bravery and imagination to jump in on! I like the way you're salvaging body parts, and going with full fenders on it, too.

Question: I've got a '29 Chevy frame like that, and picked up a '39 straight axle, as I figured I might have better brake options with the newer axle. It has a wider spacing on the spring mounts than the '29 axle. Could you post some shots on how you tied together the '53 axle with the '29 springs?

I had been thinking about using my '29 frame for a three springer modified, and maybe shifting the spring mounts to the outside of the frame.

Also, is that an Eaton blower? What is it off of?

Thanks, Kinky6 :cool:

8. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Wow - I just posted these in another thread about projects sitting and rotting...

May look a little familiar to you...

Present owners got rid of the straight axle and clipped in a Volare front end.
    I knew this car back in the 70's and was surprised as hell when I ran across it like this a few years back.

Attached Files:

9. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

the springs came with the axle also. so they are 53's also. Ill post some pictures for u later of the springs. The eaton blower is off a ford lighting truck.

10. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

here are the pictures of the springs. ive already flipped the axle to the top side. worked out great. i drilled a half inch pilot hole into the axle to hold it in place on the leaf spring bolt that holds the springs together.

front end lowered and looking great now! love the height of the front. the rear on the other hand.....just wont do. im thinking about stacking the rear leafs together inorder to make the arc less in the leafs. if that doesnt do the job i will aquire the faithful drop blocks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. The Hemi Guy

The Hemi Guy

Nice build. Great work to date. I am building the same year coupe with HEMI as well.
    I will watch your progress.

12. I agree this is a great build, a pleasure to subscribe to a real fabricator. I have a '30 Chrysler 3w, the chevy frame is very similar as are most frames from that era tbo. Keep up the good work!

13. tjmercury

tjmercury

That is one WILD lookin mo-chine!! I am also building a hemi powered 33 plymouth, except mine is a 2 door sedan with a 330 DeSoto power plant

14. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

nice hearing all the mopar fanatics out there. gotta love those body lines

15. Idahorocks

Idahorocks
    from Spring, TX

Inspiring work! You make more progress in two hours than I make in two months.

I'm hoping to have my 34 Plymouth 5 window, 354 Hemi, on the road by the end of the year.

16. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

very cool day today. my 33 plymouth grill came in today. i bought off a fellow hamber on here REMAN. looks freaking great. i beat out a few dents and layed it between the fenders. gotta do a little fitting because the fenders are acutally 32 chrylsers not 33plymouth. does not look bad though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

18. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

You best box that frame or Boyd Coddington will fire you. Oh wait, he's dead! Never mind.

19. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Hey Chris, thanks for the plug man. It does look great between those fenders. I gotta admit, I am happier to see it have a permanent home there, than to get cut for a T, and that is where it would have gone. Also got to applaud your skills at metalwork. I feel that I am a fair hand, but you could take me to school,lol. Cheers, Ron

20. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

Frame will be boxed and x'ed. Just mocking everthing up right now

21. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

Awesome build!

22. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

all body mounts made. rear trunk area braced up and sheet metal process started. post pictures tomorrow. im so freakin tired right now i cant get off the couch.

23. 301/roadster

301/roadster
    from australia

Hi build looks good i have a33 dodge roadsters aussi dilivery. Was looking at your alternater bracket did you make it or buy it . thanks

24. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

i bought it.....believe it was like $45 shipped.

25. 301/roadster

301/roadster
    from australia

who did you bye get it from

26. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

27. Cool project! I'll be watching this one. :D

28. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

finally pictures! what every hamber wants to see. radiator mounts are coming along. rear pan is coming along. some may think its rough and it is. worst part i havent done yet. molding the inner fenders into the flat floor panels. the other difficult fabrication is building the rear structure into the door jambs. doing this is my goal inorder to make the body extremely solid and able to handle that elephant ive got upfront.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. shtterbug8

shtterbug8

working on making headers from scratch. coming along nicely. will post pictures once i get one side finish. might take awhile though.....alot of stuff going on in a little area. tons of cutting and fitting before i get to do any kind of finish welding.

30. Ghost28

Ghost28

Real nice. I am working on rebuilding the front of the frame on a 33 plymouth 4 door sedan that some one butchered with a pacer front stub real nasty pictures, but not for this thread. If someone has detailed pictures of the front frame area including the frame horns, and the stock wheel base for same let me know. Thanks. and again quality work on your project. Now I am subscribed..John