Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Chrysler power steering Pump swamp

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fat53Buick, Apr 11, 2013.

1. I ve to swamp the power steering Pump on my 55 Windsor. Its connected with the broken Alternator. So i wanna convert to 12v too. Which Pump can i use? I saw a pic of Derek Williams 55 New Yorker custom with a modified Pump.
    My Chrysler has the 301 polyhead and power brakes too. Thanks for help.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Most power steering systems of that era used similar pressure outputs, usually in the 900 psi range, as I recall. You could adapt a later Mopar pump, a GM 'pear shaped' pump as it is kind of period, or a Ford pump. Pick what fits easiest in the space available. Some of the latest pumps are quite compact, really small actually, but require a remote reservoir.

Ray

3. Thanks Ray.

4. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Fat53Buick,
    Why not just fix your generator and have it rewired for 12volts and keep the original look?
    Or get a 56 Chrysler generator and regulator. (12V)

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This is a suggestion worth considering. A good Automotive Electrical shop could even build a 12v generator to put out more amps, if needed.

This keeps things pretty simple aside from locating the '56 P/S generator, but they are out there.

Ray

6. I dont knew that the 56 s are on 12v. Rebuilding is possible too but expensive. They ask 300-400 bucks for rewireing the old Alternator to 12v.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

1956 was the year that all American mfgr went to the 12v. neg ground electric systems. A good thing, actually, in that all accessories became "standardized" and easier for us rodders to mix n match parts !!

4TTRUK

8. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I have this PS pump that came in a box of parts with my 331 hemi. It is not the one that bolts to the generator, but a stand alone unit. Not sure what year it's for? Maybe this would work if you decide to go to a 12v later generator?

does anyone know what this pump goes too?

9. 36DodgeRam

36DodgeRam

I thought I attached the picture, will try again...

Attached Files:

10. i think i ll try to rebuild and rewire it to 12V. its not cheap with 400 Euro but its easier for me, i ll write about the result. thanks for help

11. don't be in a hurry...there are alot of those 56 12v pumps/gens just sitting around from hemi purchases....most get tossed aside on a build...let's pump this and see where it goes....

the posted pic looks like a 57-58 pump....

12. Ok. ll startin a search threat here cause i am sure that in Germany i dont find One

13. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Fat 53 Buick,

There are two 12v generators with pumps on them on Ebay now. About $70.