Register now to get rid of these ads!

1964 Rivi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ottman34, Apr 12, 2013.

1. ottman34

ottman34

So, for the past year or so I've noticed either a 63 or 64 Riviera at a local muffler shop (hard to see that little hood ornament from the road) and yesterday I stopped to look at it. I walked in to ask the desk jockey whether the car was in fact for sale and he said yes and then rattled off a whole list of inaccurate info (it's a '69 with a big block Wildcat 465 etc.), and then told me the owner was asking 5 grand for it but, "If you make him an offer it's your's. He really wants to sell it." I asked if it was unlocked, he said no but he tossed me the keys.

We went out to look at it (yep it's a 64) and it was all there inside though 49 years old. Pretty straight and true but with typical NE rust in the rear quarters and around the rear window. Imagine my surprise when I saw the hood and it was louvered! Now, I've not see too many Riv's with a louvered hood but it looked good and then when that hood went up there were Offenhauser valve covers on that big ol' 425 nailhead! Too sweet!

The car cranked but wouldn't run and when I checked the carb I didn't smell fuel at all so that might be the issue. The trunk was dry and and I am kinda in lust.

Thoughts?

2. Sounds pretty damn cool to me. But 5 grand for a non running car sounds steep. To me. Does it have clean paperwork ??

3. ottman34

ottman34

That's what I am thinking too. Since there are "nicer" ones out there for not a whole lot more, I think 5 is kinda pie in the sky especially since it doesn't run.

I didn't think to ask about papers...

4. Offer him three.

5. Be careful! If you can get it to run... Great! but, If you need to rebuild the motor? You're looking at 4000 minimum and the trans will be about 1000.
    Check the rockers and at both ends. They tend to rot. I looked at a lot before I found mine. Right price and has been a great car.

Good luck!

6. ottman34

ottman34

Thanks for the advice guys. The rocker tip is especially helpful. I wasn't in clothes to do too close an inspection but I might take a ride back to look at it. As for money, 3 might just do it. We shall see.

7. Mattilac

Mattilac

8. Non-running, $3K sounds about right ballpark. Could be a little less if the interior is rough, and the extent of the rust. Still miss my old 64 Riviera, was a great riding car, even with cut springs to lower it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  9. Give him a low-ball $2k figure. There's a nice '64 on the Long Island CL (or it was a few days ago..) that is complete and good looking for $6400. I pass by it now and then, looks nice from the road.

Bob

10. ottman34

ottman34

I've always wanted one. The louvered hood just makes it that much sweeter. 3 I could do, heck offer him two, let him laugh and then slip him 3.

How could I forget to take pics? Geeze...:eek:

As for the interior, complete less package tray and just kind musty but all there.

11. slacker1965

slacker1965

how are the floors? rear window sheetmetal? how good of a mech/bodyman are you? at least do a comp check.... a big expensive mystery on the motor there
    I have a running & driving '63 that needs paint,floorpans & interior work that I'd love to get 3 or 4 grand for....so be careful, deals ARE still out there. if you get it, post pix!!!!! good luck

12. ottman34

ottman34

I went back and looked at the car again and I found more rust than I could stomach even if the price was 2 grand (yup in the rockers so thanks for the heads-up!). I am not a body guy though I am pretty handy with mechanical stuff. Think I'll pass. If the guy can get 5 grand for the Rivi then good for him.