Register now to get rid of these ads!

Which ways the Beach? Santa Maria to Austin Roadtrip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I did one jeff but it was to confusing to make happen ;) haha good catch

2. n847

n847

"This chicken is steak!" Thats classic...We've all been there. Looks like you've got you're self a nice family there!

3. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Well, I don't even have to wonder. No way for my family, but that's okay, old cars are my thing....

Thanks for taking the time to post this, what a cool trip.

and thanks Ryan for featuring it, 'cause i would have missed it.

4. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Shawn,
    So good to follow your thread. I enjoyed meeting you and your family (your son looks just like you). We will be in Santa Maria for the West Coast Kustoms show so I hope to see you there.

5. gonmad

gonmad

Very cool man! Sounds like some of our trips we've been on! We drag the kids almost everywhere we go, just what we "do".
    Kudos to you for being real! God bless you brother!!

6. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Ok, so just read Kenna's entire blog about your trip and was laughing so hard at one point that my wife rose up out of bed and came out to ask me what is so funny. All I could say was "chicken fried steak" before I blew snot out of my nose from another fit of laughing. She will have to read it for herself.

What a fine family. Shawn, your wife cracked me up.

CHICKEN FRIED STEAK!!

7. eddie1

eddie1

Great read. Thanks for sharing your adventures!

8. truckjim

truckjim

Great post. Your trip tickled many memories. Thanks a million for that. The roads in Texas don't look to have changed since my first trip in 1965.

Pull the pan and clean it. That pushrod end went somewhere. Pull the valve springs and change the seals. Process is easy and you'll be done in a day. Intakes will cause some smoke and exhaust are a "while you're there" thing. You're running 40psi at speed on a hot engine so don't change a thing in the bottom end.

Thanks again. Great story and your wife is a hoot.
    :D

9. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

What a fantastic trip! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your whole adventure, man. Awesome!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  10. Kramer

Kramer

I love road trip threads. Thanks for taking us along.

11. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man! How did I miss this?? I just read the whole 12 pages with my 8 day old daughter sleeping on my chest.. It's my dream to be able to do something like this someday in my '56 Buick wagon. SO RAD!!! Dude, those pics of your kids sitting on the fins on your car- Frame one of those. Well done bro, well done.

12. autobilly

autobilly

Great stuff!:)

13. Woodguy

Woodguy

Great trip. Thanks for sharing.
    Now, off to read your wife's blog.

14. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Along with all the others, THANX FOR SHARING. Ryan is right, while it is early in the year it will take some other amazing post to top yours. Too often in life we focus on the destination and not the journey. As a Dad of a now 37 yr dtr RN, don't be surprised if your daughter is the real gearhead. I, as I have posted in the past, didn't recognize it until much too late, altho I am working on it! All the best to you and your family. larry

15. big creep

big creep

bwahahahahahahahahahah omg thats some funny shit right here! what a great trip and story! your wifes blog rules! and you guys have a beautiful family.... takes me back to our family road trips in a ford aerostar van. thanks again for sharing.

16. Flori56nda

Flori56nda
    from usa

Be safe and looking forward to future posts .[​IMG]

17. ottman34

ottman34

Wow, now that's epic! Way to go. I feel inspired to get the Jeep outta the way so I can build something the family can road trip in other than our Explorer. Sweet wagon to boot.

18. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Are you going to make the run next year we would love to make the run to the LSRU you. We well driving from wash state

Attached Files:

19. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Great post and I wish I had met you all at the show! My kids have all been dragged around the country in old cars. Maybe that's why they aren't into old cars?

You might get a kick out of an info sign in the Oregon Trail monument building. It asks..."What was it like traveling the Oregon Trail in a covered wagon? Imagine the kids asking 'Are we there yet?' EVERY DAY for nine months!

Stay true to your vision and continue doing the "good work".

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome to see that you guys continued having a great time and made it home safe! You and your wife's' entries were read aloud each night after dinner by my wife and I. Loved it all, poop jokes and all. hah

21. It wasn't so stressful after all, was it??:D

[​IMG]

22. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

Some of the best memories I have from my childhood are road trips with my Mom and Dad and little sister in our families old cars. It is what has helped to keep me in this hobby to this day. I echo everyone else in saying "Thank You" for including us on your journey. God Bless!

23. 56gasser

56gasser
    from lower al.

Thanks for the trip!! You were living the dream......

24. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

What a trip! Seriously.

25. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Excellent!
    Thanks for the ride!

26. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Road trips make the best stories.....it's the American way! Man I really enjoyed reading this. It was crazy fun for all.

27. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

What a great story you will have for your family. That was well documented and interesting to read. I hope you find time to do more roadtrips in the future and post them also. I hope to make it to Austin someday and drive my own car there. Good luck in the future!!

28. racer756

racer756

12 pages of magic. Not that you were trying to have one of the best posts EVER on here, you nailed it! You have a beautiful family and a even better disposition about how life is meant to be. Good on you!

Viva la HAMB!

29. brewsterg6

brewsterg6

Shawn... Awesome journal you have going here! Tell your wife that my wife and I are now a couple of the online stalkers she mentions at the start of her blog as well! She really can write... and it's funny too! I've been the kid in the back seat, growing up... and now have the wife that wants to share these experiences from the front seat too. There's no better way to live... You really are living large!

30. Just read your thread and all I have to say is AWSOME, I hope some day before the good Lord calls my number I get to make a road trip like that. I enjoyed the ride along thanks Shawn, that was way cool